FitBit Flex or Jawbone UP

Options
Does anyone have either the FitBit Flex or the Jawbone UP that could share comments? I am thinking of getting either one of these and would like to know your experiences / pros / cons / etc.

Thanks so much!!! :happy:

Replies

• fidgit813
    fidgit813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have the Flex and really like it. I was able to link it to MFP and mapmyrun and now the three interact (mostly) seamlessly. The one problem I've had is the battery life. I have to charge it every 5 days and i thought that would be long enough, but I've already had it die on me twice because I forget to bring my charger with me to work. I really like how it will calculate calories for me throughout the day and give them back if I'm particularly active--so on days that I walk more, I can eat a healthy snack and still not go over my calorie goal.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Just tagging so that I can see others reviews as I was wondering which was the best as well x
  • churchchipmunk
    churchchipmunk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Fidgit!!!! I really appreciate the feedback!
  • fredthesausage
    fredthesausage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just got a Jawbone UP - Arrived today ... hopefully it'll help me figure out why I'm staying constant and not losing / pleateauing.
  • JovanValor
    JovanValor Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    i really wanted to know but never found anything online! Its supposed to be able to track calories, but if so, is it capable of tracking weightlifting burned calories etc. ahh really hope this gets answered , otherwise the flex has everything going right. @fidgit813
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, which is a little different and I love it. I chose it over the flex becuase I didn't like the wrist band thing, but it has all the same features. It syncs well with MFP and also to my work's wellness incentive, achieveMINT and earndit. I love the silent alarm, it is pretty effective at waking me and does not disturb my partner. I feel that the fitbit program is good for tracking sleep and steps/calories burned. I do not use it for tracking activity or food. I use rundouble or runkeeper and mfp for that. I highly recommend FitBit products if you are in the market for a good pedometer.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Wife has had one of the Body Media link armbands for 5 months or so. She loves all the info it gives her.
    Only complaint is she can't take it with her when we go kayaking.
  • tryfailtry99
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex. I like it. It's comfortable and easy to forget. The stats are helpful; it integrates with MFP seamlessly and gives me credit for calories burned just walking or being active, which I wouldn't normally account for. The sleep stats are also interesting. The Dashboard is really helpful, and I use it a lot. I enjoy checking the "Very Active Minutes".

It does drain the battery pretty quick (every five days or so), and then I forget to put it back on or lose tracking the few hours it's charging.

So does it really track burned calories? Just the estimation based on your steps vs. what is expected for you based on your profile. There's no heartrate monitoring, so it can't really tell what you burn. Up is the same way, of course. It seems pretty consistent, though, and if anything, I'd rather it underestimate so I could be pleasantly surprised.

As for tracking activity like weightlifting, it's far more likely to interpret those movements as a step than anything else. Just swinging your arm can count as a step. Nothing's perfect.
  • churchchipmunk
    Options
    Thank you all!!! This is very helpful!!!!! I am quite interested in the sleep tracking as well! I cannot thank you all enough for your helpful input!!!

Thanks so much and Stay Active!!!
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I bought the Fitbit Flex last week.. I LOVE IT! I've been having trouble figuring out how many calories I should be eating everyday because I have a sedetary job but I'm pretty active outside of work. It has helped me out this week and I lost 3lbs!

The only think that stinks is that it only syncs with certain phones... and mine isn't one of them so I have to pull out the laptop everyday to sync it.
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the up and absolutely love it... Helped me realize that MFP way over estimated even just my normal daily calories burnt from sedentary life style and seeing how many steps I have taken so far pushes me to try to hit my daily goals...I track my food on MFP as i believe its more accurate and my exercise on the up where if its none step you can log it by type durations and effort level and based on your weight gives you a more accurate idea of what i burnt... I do use a swim calculator as it isnt one of the standard exercise on the up... but log it as other and its pretty accurate 10 cals out from the swim calculator, but can log weights and circuits and you can time it through a stop watch function.

Its really simple to use and love the long battery life i can go 10 days before charging, I was worried about the none wireless sync but that hasnt been an issue I sync about 4 times a day now, sometimes a more depending if i know i have logged a workout or been inactive more then usual.

The sleep tracker is pretty damn accurate as I know i wake up alot during my sleep due to a little monkey needing attention!
    I also loves how it wakes me up in the morning and feel so much more refreshed waking up now then before... i used to hit snooze a lot but since the up never felt the need... I have the alarm set for different times for weekend and weekdays, and the power nap function.

The other useful function is the vibrations to tell you to move your *kitten* you have been idle for to long... week days i have it set from 7am to 9pm on a 45 minute alarm so if im at my desk to long i know to get up and move.

The insights and trends / comparisons are great like tracking how much i slept to how active i am or calories consumed etc and you can compare everything it tracks against each other. Or you will get daily messages that look at what you have achieved or how to improve. The graphs and data are presented great and easy to understand

I tend to forget I have it on its so comfy to wear and i love the design and get quiet a few people asking me what it is... I was trying to choose between the two and was bought it for my birthday so in the end didnt make the choice myself but so glad I have it

There are some negatives the meals don't transfer over as meals just the micro nutrients / macros etc and some times there can be a delay in the sync from MFP to up for food... but the exercise from up to MFP is about 5 after you sync to allow you time to add in and change things if needed. Also the fact there is no desktop way to access the data through a upi... which would make life a bit easier. Also forgetting to push the button to sleep mode which I have done a few times grrr.

Overall very happy with it... Sorry for the long post and hope this helps.
  • churchchipmunk
    Options
    Thanks "Bree" and "Lady"...all such great reviews from you all!!! Decisons, decision...this may not be the most difficult decision yet!!!

Thanks so much ladies!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and like it. It does have some quirks, though.

Going into sleep mode can be irritating
    Turning off the alarm can be irritating
    Not going into sleep mode while turning off the alarm almost never happens
    Sometimes the sleep won't register
    The calorie burns it estimates for runs vs. what i see with my HRM and Endomodo vary a lot, but walking looks right
    It doesn't tell time, which I wish it did to prevent some awkward moments when I look at my wrist for no reason
  • churchchipmunk
    Options
    Thank you so much "ze_hombre"! The info was very helpful!!! Way to go on the 77 lbs lost!!!
  • dreamer2452
    dreamer2452 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the nike fuelband and I love it!!! It really helps keep me motivated and everyone says it just looks like a bracelet. the only con I have is that it is not water proof
  • tdokic
    tdokic Posts: 1
    Options
    I have recently purchased the Up and I have to say I love it so far! I ordered it online last Sunday and received it on Monday. The unfortunate part was that it sat in my mailbox all day in 40 degree weather so it was friend and didnt work. I brought it back to the retailer and got it exchanged, no questions asked. Received the new one Friday have been wearing it all day today and I love it! The sleep feature is very accurate but I think I need to calibrate it as I think it may be tracking too many steps. But that's just a minor tweak. I've heard a lot of negative things about the Up so I'm hoping that this actually works out. The only thing I wish they added to the app was the ability to track your water intake cause I know this is something I need more prompting with and it only lets you add it once and not the amount that you've actually consumed. So far I think the design is awesome and I actually don't even feel like I'm wearing it!
  • TwinMom422
    TwinMom422 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was just debating this myself. I ended up getting the Fitbit Zip to try. I wanted the Flex or the One, but I don't care about sleep pattern, and the Zip basically does what I need it to. I've only had it for a day, but so far so good.
  • churchchipmunk
    Options
    Thanks all! I did not get out this weekend like I wanted but am still debating! It is such are hard decision. I think, that I also need to determine what I am truly seeking for and expecting.

Can you all share with me why you chose what you did and what your expectations were and if those are being met?

Thanks!
  • EasilyLed
    EasilyLed Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey, I can't help much about the flex thing but I do have a fitbit and wear it daily.
    I do love the dashboard to log in (racking up rewards for floors and miles) I track all my food on MFP which shoves the calories into the FitBit dashboard. I chose Fitbit as I don't want something on my wrist, so can clip it to my clothing but that's a personal choice. I found the sleep monitoring helpful to begin with it helped set my sleep up in a better way although I rarely use it now.

I also have the fitbit aria scale, I love the way I can just jump on and this will sync with my fitbit app and MFP.

Basically, I put my food into MFP, get on the scale and everything is sorted for me. the only thing I have to manually track is swimming. I find this helpful as when I used to go to dance classes weekly I'd be logging the same amount of calories for the exercise but once I got the fitbit I saw that some weeks with a bit of a half-hearted effort was making me over estimate the calories burned. Weeks I really put my all into into it showed :happy:
  • fadedimage
    fadedimage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me, the FitBit was grossly inaccurate when compared to the BodyMedia (which you may or may not be considering). For example when I went cycling, it recorded only 88 calories burned whereas BodyMedia recorded 359, which is more accurate and would compare with the gym equipment (I was riding outside but it's comparable). In the end, I returned the FitBit as it wasn't close enough to being accurate.

That said, I am getting a Jawbone this week to compare it to the BodyMedia and see which I like better and which is more accurate.