Is it OK to exercise 7 days a week?

Options
Is it ok to exercise 7 days a week or does your body need at least 1 day of rest?

Thanks

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Some people will say yes, take a rest day but I am of the thought that it depends on you and how you feel.

Do you feel tired? Sore? Can you not drag your body out of bed? If so then take a day off.

Also it depends on what you're doing every day. While your muscles do need to rest if you're just doing some sort of cardio on the weekends in addition to lifting and what ever else during the week you should be ok.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its great to exercise seven days a week. Individual muscles may need a rest day to recover if you are heavy lifting, but aerobic exercise you can (should) do everyday. Having said that, its a real good idea to mix it up. Run long and slow one day, bike the next, do sprints the following etc. Mix it up so you don't get bored and your body doesn't get too used to doing just one thing.

Listen to your body. You'll know if you need a day off. If muscles are sore make it an easy day but there's no day to take the day off completely.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As long as you are doing different things and targetting different parts of the body. I would recommend only doing intense lifting 2-3 times a week. Even rest days should have some low intensity activity like walking/hiking, yoga, or a leisurely bike ride.
  • nine2481
    nine2481 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... I exercise every day and have only had good results. Highly recommend it however, if you feel bad or tired etc. then go ahead and take a break... Good luck :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    is it okay to exercise 7 days a week? yes, absolutely.

should you start right off the bat, after not ever really being active, to working out every single day?? NO.

ease into it. it takes a really long time to get into a pattern where you can work out every day, and even twice a day. months and months or even a year of training and of learning go into it.

For instance i'll swim in the morning and bike in the afternoon, or i'll bike in the morning and run in the afternoon, or i'll lift in the morning and run or bike in the afternoon (as long as i didn't do legs that morning). or maybe if i did squats that morning i'll bike in the afternoon since squats work the quads which are running muscles. if i did dead lifts in the morning, i'll run in the afternoon because dead lifts work the hammies which are used on the bike.

i have a plan, and goals. but i learned from a lot of trial and error. i remember one time i swam at night, and the next morning went to lift (upper body) and i was spent.
  • kaylang78
    kaylang78 Posts: 9
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I think if you can go for 7 days then do it. If you are sore and tired then take a rest.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i've been told a day of rest is needed to help your muscles recover, and so your body doesn't get used to the constant exercise. i've also heard that targeting different muscle groups each day is fine, so it's really your call. of course, if you're sick or really worn out, take a day off. it won't hurt you in the long run.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responce. No my body does not ache and have no problems getting out of bed. Right now Im just doing cardio to shed some pounds first. Once I lose 15-20 pounds I will start lifting weights to tone. Now I feel bad about not working out yesterday. :cry:
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    i would think your body may get use to it way too fast
    depending on your goals.. weight loss or muscle gain.

or maybe changing it up each day.

mon arms
    tues legs
    wed cardio
    thur abs
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week, twice a day for 6 of them. Like Apollo said though...you really should ease into it. If you feel like you need to take a rest day then you should. The main thing you have to look at is what your specific goals are and how it will affect them. If you're strength training, then you should definitely either have rest days between lifts, or tailor your plan to where you're working muscle groups in an order that lets each group get adequate rest. You really have to listen to your body when it comes to this one.

ETA: I would also recommend not waiting to start a strength training program. Strength training minimizes the loss of lean body mass, and will do loads more to help you burn fat than cardio alone. If you don't want to get specifically into weight lifting right away, you can check out Fitness Blender, nerdfitness.com, or You Are Your Own Gym to do some bodyweight strength training.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day (usually elliptical, sometimes elliptical and treadmill, sometimes elliptical and swimming). I do weights every other day usually. I figure that our bodies are made to endure walking and climbing stairs and regular "life" activities so to me it's fine to do cardio every day

There are those who disagree with this theory and i daresay you'll find proponents for each system. I say do what works for you.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yes it's fine, I train 12 times a week