Does anyone have a Tree nut or peanut allergy?

Options
Marcillene
Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
My son has a severe allergy to tree nuts and possibly peanuts. This has just recently been discovered the last few weeks after a SEVERE attack from ingesting a partial nut, and then this weekend after his father stopped by and kissed him on the cheek. The reaction began immediately, and come to find out his father had been drinking a protein shake right before that contained tree nut (pecan) and peanuts. We're still fighting this one.

Just looking for some insight to nut allergies, or some foods to watch out for in particular? Any support would be great, since I know nothing first hand when it comes to food allergies. Learning, learning, learning..

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Amongst other things I have a peanut allergy, not severe since it was adult onset (at least not yet anyway) but make sure that everyone that is around your little one is aware of his allergy and that he is contact sensitive (ie they cannot have some and touch him, he will react to it.)

Look into a medical alert id tag for him (companies like Medic Alert do make them small enough for children). Not only does this give caregivers information, it gives responders information and I know with Medic Alert (you will need to check with the company you use on this, but I know with them since I use them) they will even contact the primary care physician and the emergency contact that something happened to the person wearing the id.

Read labels, read labels, read labels! It doesn't matter if you've read that label for that product a million times, read it every time you get it: Companies are not required to notify the public if they change the ingredients of a product all they have to do is change it on the label.

When it comes to nuts and legumes (remember peanuts are not actual nuts, they are from the legueme family) if he reacts to one he has the potential to react with more, for example: I am allergic to peanuts and soy so I have the potential to develop a reaction to things like green beans, kidney beans, ect. So he may not be reacting to anything other than peanuts and pecans now, but potentially he could, discuss this with his doc so you know what to look out for. And make sure that you and his other caregivers know what other terms can be used for these foods, another example: friend of mine knows I'm allergic to soy, we were out to dinner and she offered me some edamame that she had gotten as an appetizer, I reminded her I'm allergic to soy, she said "but this is edamame" I responded "yes, edamame are soy beans in a pod..."

If you're going to take him on an airplane, check for peanut free flights (they do have these now) or if you can't get one, let the airline know and follow up with the flight attendants when you get on the plane that he has a contact/airborne allergy and they will not serve peanuts on the flight he is on.

Definitely keep educating yourself and when in doubt consider whatever it is a no-no item and keep it away from him. It may sound over cautious, but you want to protect that little guy as much as you can
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My husband is allergic to tree nuts. The allergic changes in sensitivity. Sometimes he can just smell them and have a reaction, other times, not. (we've been married 25 yrs, so this is spread over years)

Walnuts are worst. Pecans run second. Pistachios, cashews, almonds, etc run a distant 3rd. Evidently, less of what he allergic to in the others.

People simply CANNOT keep it straight that he's allergic to tree nuts and not peanuts. His greatest danger is other people's memories. Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I knew G was coming, so I used pecans instead of peanuts in ____."

Get to an allergist and find out what he's allergic to for sure.
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have several food allergies, incuding tree nuts. It is a learning process. If you suspect he has food allergies the best thing is to get him tested to see what else he would be allergic to. It is normally small pricks in the back or arms. Or they can do blood tests for food allergies, but they are not as accurate I have found.

Also, he should be tested for seasonal allergies because there are links between seasonal allergies like pollen, trees that can cause you to have a reaction to certain foods.

You should also get an Epi-Pen just in case his throat ever starts to close or he has trouble breathing. It will open the airwaves with enough time for you to get to a hospital.

One of the sites I reference a lot is: http://www.foodallergy.org They have a lot of helpful information. Also, find allergist that are familiar with food allergies.

This section is based on tree nuts: http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/tree-nut-allergy
    It will also tell you what other ingredients to watch out for....

If you want to message me you can. I have serveral allergies and food allergies and have been lucky not to have to use the Epi-Pen yet, but I have blacked out.

Good Luck!
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    Yes, I have a tree nut allergy, but I can eat peanuts just fine. As peanuts are a legume, not a tree nut. It's odd tho that I have different reactions to different nuts. Almonds make me itchy and I get sores sometimes. Walnuts are the scary one as that is the one that closes my chest and I can't breath. It can be tricky but it's not as bad as a lot of allergies. Read labels... boxes always say 'contains tree nuts' if they have them. I find the biggest thing I have to inspect closely is baked goods. Whenever I grab a cookie/muffin/etc I always split it in half so I can really see the inside... the nuts tend to settle on the inside so you don't always see them on the outside.

I try to carry something I know I can eat at all times... like a nutrigrain bar. That way I always have something. I also always care benadryl with me. However if his allergy is bad enough you might talk to your doctor to see if they think he should have an EpiPen. If so, there are some awesome apps you can put on your phone with instructions on using an EpiPen because I know if I was panicked I would want the reminder of how to use properly. Also teachers and preschool staff are required to learn how to use EpiPens, so you can leave the EpiPen with his school.

Granola and trail mixes I generally can't eat so read the labels carefully, but occasionally I find one I can eat. The other advice is if you tell your server at a restaurant that you have an allergy (just say it nicely because you want to double check don't freak out on them) they are usually happy to double check or make sure the chef knows. I generally tell my server depending on what I am getting because a lot of restaurants will use nuts as a garnish and not list it on the menu. The server is usually much happier if you say something is advanced like "I am allergic to tree nuts, so if there are any nuts can you leave them off?" ahead of time then sending the meal back and making them re-make it. Speaking of. If they do mess up, don't be afraid to send it back, BUT, make sure to say that they can't just remove the nuts, then need to remake because of an allergy.

I am also allergic to avocados, melons and bananas. I've heard that people with tree nut allergies often have problems with these foods too, but not always. So, just be careful. Also, some of these other allergies didn't really develop until later in life, so just make sure you son is aware that this a possibility.

One other thing to watch out for is lotions and body washes. My office has a cherry almond lotion in the ladies room. I assumed it was just a fake scent... nope. I had a reaction.

However, I can have Almond flavored coffee drinks. I think the almond syrups are generally fake.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
  • super_fast
    super_fast Posts: 63
    Options
    I have many food allergies, but mainly nut allergies. Best advice i have for small children is to have an allergist do a full "scratch test" where the doctor will do small skin test for common foods that might cause a reaction, along with pollens and animals. If your child is allergic to nuts, they are most likely allergic to much more, and are prone to asthma. When I was young i had allergies to most anything, mainly eggs, fish, nuts, pollens, and molds. Thankfully the older you get the less the allergies affect you. I am still very allergic to fish and nuts, but most other allergies have subsided. Be very careful of all foods till you know more, pollens, molds, and animals as well. Any questions please ask. BTW.... almonds are not nuts and your child is most likely not allergic.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    my niece has these allergies...this is an extremely serious issue. if you are unsure about what to do or not do for your child you should talk to his doctor until you are sure of the dos and donts.

you should not take advice from people on a diet site's forum.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    See a doctor ASAP. My guess is that you'll be advised to carry an epi-pen. My son's allergy is pretty minor but I still have one with me constantly.
  • aleee2000
    aleee2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is super scary... I agree with previous posters that you should find a good doctor. I would suggest a board certified pediatric allergist or immunologist.

My daughter is deathly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. It was sooooooooo hard at first, and felt like every food was unsafe. However, she is now 5, and things are much, much easier. Feel free to friend me or message me if you have questions or want to chat. Tough times don't last, tough people do. Good luck.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    thank you everyone, VERY HELPFUL information.

My son is 26 months old, and has a SEVERE reaction a few weeks ago to a piece of cashew, where his lungs were compromised with fluid, and which he perfusely vomitted nonstop and couldnt breathe. He rashed and welted up immediately, and had diarrhea everywhere. His lungs swelled and it was a VERY scary situation. he ate 1/4th of a piece of cashew, and this happened immediately.

He then was given an epi-pen for emergency situations. His daycare provider last week went through a CPR, First Aide, and administration of an EpiPen. We are currently waiting for our testing date with an allergist (the 31st of this month). and since he is so young they are going to do the blood test first. and possibly wait for the skin prick test. But we will see.

He had peanut butter after his second birthday. but then the cashew attack happened and we were told he MAY now have a reaction to peanuts as well so until further testing he is not allowed contact either. Saturday his cheek came in contact with his father who had been drinking a shake that said 'May contain Tree Nut (pecans)' as well as peanut.

I wish you all could SEE my poor babies photo :( his whole face broke out in hives and his eyes/lips swelled up. his tongue didnt seem to swell much, and his breathing has been ok. he had some fluid congestion in his lungs yesterday, but not life threatening. he is doing the steroid/benadryl/breathing machine thing still, but is still covered in hives/rash all over his face/stomach/;legs/arms/chest.

All of that just over a kiss on the cheek. His doctor had said after the 1st severe attack, that any attack after the first initial will be much worse... :(
  • Marcillene
    Options
    my niece has these allergies...this is an extremely serious issue. if you are unsure about what to do or not do for your child you should talk to his doctor until you are sure of the dos and donts.

Im looking for insight, stories, support etc. I have spoken with his doctor numerous times, and were still waiting for our referral appointment with the allergist. I guess im just looking for different reactions to these allergies, and to find out what OTHER allergies run along with the tree nut allergies... or if people outgrew them, or the severity of them etc.

He also has Rapid Airway disease, Eczema, Pollen allergies etc. so the severity is VERY high with his auto-Immune. I know a doctor cannot tell me EVERY dangerous situation that my son is walking into, but people with nut/food allergies might have a little more experience i believe. Like the insight on the plane ride. I wouldn't have thought to contact the airport to find a peanut-free flight if we were to fly. I would probably be too scared to fly. But those are definitally the insight I am looking for.

Any situations you can recall that your niece has experienced?
  • Marcillene
    Options
    That is super scary... I agree with previous posters that you should find a good doctor. I would suggest a board certified pediatric allergist or immunologist.

My daughter is deathly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. It was sooooooooo hard at first, and felt like every food was unsafe. However, she is now 5, and things are much, much easier. Feel free to friend me or message me if you have questions or want to chat. Tough times don't last, tough people do. Good luck.

Do you recall how young she was when she first developed or had an attack?
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Amongst other things I have a peanut allergy, not severe since it was adult onset (at least not yet anyway) but make sure that everyone that is around your little one is aware of his allergy and that he is contact sensitive (ie they cannot have some and touch him, he will react to it.)

Look into a medical alert id tag for him (companies like Medic Alert do make them small enough for children). Not only does this give caregivers information, it gives responders information and I know with Medic Alert (you will need to check with the company you use on this, but I know with them since I use them) they will even contact the primary care physician and the emergency contact that something happened to the person wearing the id.

Read labels, read labels, read labels! It doesn't matter if you've read that label for that product a million times, read it every time you get it: Companies are not required to notify the public if they change the ingredients of a product all they have to do is change it on the label.

When it comes to nuts and legumes (remember peanuts are not actual nuts, they are from the legueme family) if he reacts to one he has the potential to react with more, for example: I am allergic to peanuts and soy so I have the potential to develop a reaction to things like green beans, kidney beans, ect. So he may not be reacting to anything other than peanuts and pecans now, but potentially he could, discuss this with his doc so you know what to look out for. And make sure that you and his other caregivers know what other terms can be used for these foods, another example: friend of mine knows I'm allergic to soy, we were out to dinner and she offered me some edamame that she had gotten as an appetizer, I reminded her I'm allergic to soy, she said "but this is edamame" I responded "yes, edamame are soy beans in a pod..."

If you're going to take him on an airplane, check for peanut free flights (they do have these now) or if you can't get one, let the airline know and follow up with the flight attendants when you get on the plane that he has a contact/airborne allergy and they will not serve peanuts on the flight he is on.

Definitely keep educating yourself and when in doubt consider whatever it is a no-no item and keep it away from him. It may sound over cautious, but you want to protect that little guy as much as you can

THANK YOU.. definitally have been wondering if any Med-Alert bracelets would fit a toddler (since hes only 26 months). been wanting to look into this, but wasnt sure if i needed to wait until after all the testing is done so i could get a more specific alert for his bracelet..

Also, my son was alergic to Soy until he turned about 15 months old. then it has calmed down. I wonder if because he does eat yogurt/cheese and drink 1% milk now, if maybe the soy causes some of his eczema? never thought of that. he doesnt have the stomach issues with milk now though that he did as a baby...
  • super_fast
    super_fast Posts: 63
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DO NOT RELY ON BLOOD TESTS, SKIN PRICK IS THE ONLY TRUSTED METHOD.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

she hasnt been exposed but has come close on occasion. she is almost 6 now and always asks whats in food someone is giving her.

whats amazing is she'll be at a party and say she is allergic to nuts...then that person(adult) will turn around and offer her a peanut butter cup.

you just cant trust anyone because most people dont know what is in the food they are offering.
  • Marcillene
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DO NOT RELY ON BLOOD TESTS, SKIN PRICK IS THE ONLY TRUSTED METHOD.

The allergist wants to see him first., but is going to do a blood test on him. He said the skin prick test will be to be determind since he is soo young. But we have to wait a few more weeks for his blood test/appointment...

Have you had negative results for blood test? or are they just not as accurate?
  • Marcillene
    Options

she hasnt been exposed but has come close on occasion. she is almost 6 now and always asks whats in food someone is giving her.

whats amazing is she'll be at a party and say she is allergic to nuts...then that person(adult) will turn around and offer her a peanut butter cup.

you just cant trust anyone because most people dont know what is in the food they are offering.
    AGREED!! And this scares me since I work and he goes to daycare... and he could come in contact ANYWHERE... and its especially scary when people KNOW he cannot have anything with nuts in it and turn around and offer him a cookie.. or brownie.. or use generic cooking oil which may contain traces of peanuts and tree nuts... (As I found out the other day)...
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are worst. Pecans run second. Pistachios, cashews, almonds, etc run a distant 3rd. Evidently, less of what he allergic to in the others.

People simply CANNOT keep it straight that he's allergic to tree nuts and not peanuts. His greatest danger is other people's memories.

I am severely allergic to North American Tree Nuts, Not peanuts (not a nut) and not allergic to some exotic nuts. My allergy severity falls similar to quoted above starting with Walnuts.

My biggest problem is that so many places throw them on top of stuff or use them in crusts, etc...

In my situation, I am allergic to a chemical or material that is in the nut and is common to North American species of tree nuts and the severity is based on the concentration of that item in the particular nut.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to nuts, but I am incredibly allergic to mango. Allergies are difficult. I carry epi, albuterol, advil, an antihistamine, pepcid (which works on different histamine receptors) and solu-medrol with a full IV kit with me (I am a paramedic, so I just take care of myself usually, because I hate going to the hospital).

The best prevention you can do is teach. Teach other people about his allergy. Post signs around your house. Also, you can call the non-emergency line for the EMS station that is near your house, and let them know that you have a small child with a severe food allergy. It gets added to a special note section in the call code that they can see when you call 911.

Hope the allergist gets things figured out for you. Good luck!
  • Marcillene
    Options

People simply CANNOT keep it straight that he's allergic to tree nuts and not peanuts. His greatest danger is other people's memories.

I am severely allergic to North American Tree Nuts, Not peanuts (not a nut) and not allergic to some exotic nuts. My allergy severity falls similar to quoted above starting with Walnuts.

My biggest problem is that so many places throw them on top of stuff or use them in crusts, etc...

In my situation, I am allergic to a chemical or material that is in the nut and is common to North American species of tree nuts and the severity is based on the concentration of that item in the particular nut.

What kind of testing did they or could they do to determine the chemical or material?
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcillene,

My son has severe peanut and tree nut allergies. I remember when we first found out--he was 2. It was as if he was suddenly surrounded by rattlesnakes, every day. It can be very scary. He's 5 1/2 now. You do get used to it, but you do have to stay vigilant. I'm assuming you have epi-pens now? Always keep them on you, (we carry no less than 4 at a time, and my criteria for purses has really changed!). Another tip--always carry liquid Benedryl. The best type is the pre-measured liquid "spoons" for children, because you can get it into them very quickly. See here:

http://www.smartallergyfriendlyeducation.com/2013/06/cvs-offers-another-childrens-allergy.html

Those can be tricky to find, though--even online--so a small bottle of liquid with a measuring spoon or cup is a good bet. If your son is in daycare, it's time for a long, careful conversation with his daycare providers. If you direct message me with your real email address, I'll send you a copy of the instructions we prepared for my son's daycare. On a positive note, schools and daycares are MUCH more aware of this problem then they used to be, because it's growing so rapidly (though no one knows why). Be very careful about processed foods, and foods stored in bulk, which can be contaminated with peanut particles. My son's summer camp is going to a baseball field today, and I'm going with because of the peanut shells scattered around. I want to be there to be sure to handle any reaction if he has one (he is *very* allergic). Yet, I still want him to be able to go! When you send your son to another child's house, send him with his own food. Also, you might want to read through this organization's informational material, or consider joining it. They're really helpful, and are helping to fund research for a cure:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

Take care, and if you have questions, direct message me!

AbbeyDove