Calling all Weightlifters!

Options
Hello fellow weightlifters! I started hardcore weightlifting this week. I have committed, I'm not going to stop. Love it. So, my question is, How do you choose your calorie deficit? Do you use the MFP Guided? TDEE 15-20%? I'm curious what weightlifters feel works best for them.

I am still trying to lose weight, but getting toned in the process. I'm more focused on inches than pounds at this point, although pounds are still nice to see falling off. I am 5'8", floating around 199-200 lbs lately. I'm planning on lifting 5-6 days a week. Right now MFP has be at 1370 cals. I eat back my exercise points. BF % is 40-41% depending on the day. I'm trying to include whatever is needed to assess the situation. Umm, my goal weight is 150 lbs, 21% BF.

Any tips, suggestions, etc. Is all welcome. But the real question is what calorie deficit do you use?

Thank you all in advance!
Jessica

Replies

• Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Its down to your own choice.

I eat my BMR plus exercise calories

I am thinking of changing to lightly active TDEE -20% and not eating exercise calories. The only reason I am not doing this at the moment is that sometimes I manage 4-5 days exercise a week and sometime I manage 2 days a week
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do some hardcore weight lifting, it would be a sin to be in a deficit.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think this is a tough question because it's all relative to your goals. If you are trying to still lose 50 pounds than I think 15% sounds like a good goal. Enough to be cutting but not so much that you don't have the energy for the lifting. Good for you for doing the weights and I'm glad you are enjoying it!

To answer the question, I'm not trying to lose any weight or inches so I don't have a deficit.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Play with it. I actually eat 1500, although MFP wants me at 1200. TDEE - 20% is a good start, but really, I found just messing with my calorie intake until I found something I liked (translation, I felt good) and didn't have me starving to death.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do some hardcore weight lifting, it would be a sin to be in a deficit.

why?

OP: I like to start with BWx12 gross cals and assess every 2 weeks. 1g/lb of LBM for protein minimum. .3g/lb of BW for fat minimum.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I also just started lifting heavy with a trainer last week. I don't really get nutrition advice from him, but on days I workout, I am around 1900 and rest days, I stay around 1600. It really depends on the day. If I am hungrier, then I eat.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When it comes to exercise I don't like to start anything hard core. I would be careful you don't expect too much from yourself too soon. It is really easy to get burned out or discouraged because you pushed yourself too far. I am not saying this to discourage you. I wish you well n your journey.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw in my two cents:)

I like the idea of losing weight slowly and getting stronger. You may notice that on days where you eat more calories you are more successful lifting heavier. If this is the case, and if it makes you happy, consider losing at a slower pace, maybe TDEE minus 10%. Or, you could continue doing what you are doing and you will lose.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Options

Haha, I understand where you're coming from. But I'm a big girl. Gotta lose the fat that ontop of these muscles. They wanna be seen! Hehe :heart:

why?

OP: I like to start with BWx12 gross cals and assess every 2 weeks. 1g/lb of LBM for protein minimum. .3g/lb of BW for fat minimum.

That seems about what the TDEE wants. I'm thinking since I'm starting to lift I need to eat the part and start proteining it up. This would put me at 2400cal a day.
    When it comes to exercise I don't like to start anything hard core. I would be careful you don't expect too much from yourself too soon. It is really easy to get burned out or discouraged because you pushed yourself too far. I am not saying this to discourage you. I wish you well n your journey.

I understand. My husband is very fit & a heavy lifter. He is accompanying me on this epic weightlifting journey. =) So, I have him to keep me on track and making sure I don't kill myself in the process. Doing it right. =)

:heart: Jessica
  • latinbarbie1
    latinbarbie1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well I consume between 1400-1500 calories a day on work out days and 1300 on non work out days. I don't put in my calories burned or work outs on MFP as it alters your calories. I just put it as an exercise note. As I'm trying to still lose weight ( tone up) I need to be in a caloric defisit. All my info btw I have gotten from my personal trainer/nutricionist.
    Hope it helps

Also protein in every meal
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I was obese, I aimed for TDEE minus 750 calories, when I was overweight, I aimed for TDEE minus 500 calories, and when I got close to goal, I started aiming for just about half a lb per week (250 calories under TDEE).
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This was something I've been struggling with as well. However, I've noticed that my workouts are not as good and I'm severally hungry on lifting days if I do not fuel my body.

Short term, I'm eating at my TDEE with a minor deficit of 10% without eating my calories back. I'm testing this out for the first month and then measuring my body fat % to see where it leads me and tinker as need be. This was based off of discussing with serious weight lifters as well as my doctor.

I'm trying to look at this as a long term journey. Right now, I'm focusing on building the muscle to help revamp up my metabolism. (Years of dieting at 1400 calories have put me in a plateau.) Once I'm feeling good about my strenghth, I'll start slowly decreasing my calorie input.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Options
    I also just started lifting heavy with a trainer last week. I don't really get nutrition advice from him, but on days I workout, I am around 1900 and rest days, I stay around 1600. It really depends on the day. If I am hungrier, then I eat.

How did you figure out to choose 1900 calories? TDEE? It just worked for you? MFP? =) Thank you ahead of time for your input!

I like the idea of losing weight slowly and getting stronger. You may notice that on days where you eat more calories you are more successful lifting heavier. If this is the case, and if it makes you happy, consider losing at a slower pace, maybe TDEE minus 10%. Or, you could continue doing what you are doing and you will lose.

I agree that slower/stronger is better than fast/weak/saggy. TDEE minus 10% seems really high, I weigh a bit I don't think I'd even be able to consume that much. =D

Thank you! I will look into this!
    Well I consume between 1400-1500 calories a day on work out days and 1300 on non work out days. I don't put in my calories burned or work outs on MFP as it alters your calories. I just put it as an exercise note. As I'm trying to still lose weight ( tone up) I need to be in a caloric defisit. All my info btw I have gotten from my personal trainer/nutricionist.
    Hope it helps

That seems like it'd be pretty low for me. My workout days usually run me 400-1000 calories burned. If I won't ate 1400 a day on workout days I'd be at a net of 1000-400 calories Net.

• Jessica_D_Shadow
    Options
    Hi! When I was obese, I aimed for TDEE minus 750 calories, when I was overweight, I aimed for TDEE minus 500 calories, and when I got close to goal, I started aiming for just about half a lb per week (250 calories under TDEE).

This is very insightful. How long were you on your weight loss/get fit journey? How well has your skin kept with you as you lifted & lost weight/inches? :flowerforyou:
    This was something I've been struggling with as well. However, I've noticed that my workouts are not as good and I'm severally hungry on lifting days if I do not fuel my body.

Short term, I'm eating at my TDEE with a minor deficit of 10% without eating my calories back. I'm testing this out for the first month and then measuring my body fat % to see where it leads me and tinker as need be. This was based off of discussing with serious weight lifters as well as my doctor.

I'm trying to look at this as a long term journey. Right now, I'm focusing on building the muscle to help revamp up my metabolism. (Years of dieting at 1400 calories have put me in a plateau.) Once I'm feeling good about my strenghth, I'll start slowly decreasing my calorie input.

This is good to know. I'm still at the beginning of my weight loss journey, but I want to tone & lose so that when I reach my goal weight "hopefully" I can be happy when I look in the mirror and get back into a bikini! Big Hopes for a Big Girl. =P

• allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am new to heavy lifting, which since I'm a beginner it's not all that heavy yet... This is my 3rd week of lifting heavy on a 12 week program that I found on Bodybuilders.com.... In the article below they give you what your macros should be when doing this program.. That is what I am using.. I have no results yet as I committed to myself not to weight, measure, or comparison pics until after the 12 weeks is up... However... this program up'd my calories considerably and when I do workout I do not add back calories that I burned. I have noticed recently that my appetitie is increasing alot... (MFP had me on 1530 a day to lose 0.5lbs a week and this program has me on 2388 at a minimum).. I have to admit eating this much is scary but I vowed to give it a fair try.. and I knwo I may actually gain weight but that's why I measured.. I'd still like to lose 30 - 40lbs but toning up and trimming fat is my ultimate goal!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

How did you figure out to choose 1900 calories? TDEE? It just worked for you? MFP? =) Thank you ahead of time for your input!

My TDEE is around 2100. I keep to 1600 because that's my TDEE - 20%. It's actually 1680, but I leave those extra 80 calories to make up for mints that I may grab from the lobby during the day. On the days I lift, I usually eat more of my calories back if I am hungry. I don't want to hurt anything because my body isn't getting what it needs. I am only 5'2 and have about 10 pounds left to lose so I eat more when I need to keep my muscle and just lose the body fat.

With TDEE, you're not supposed to eat calories back, but this is what is working for me and it's sustainable.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Plus having refeeds every now and then (that's when you eat all your TDEE calories)

the leaner you are, the harder it is to lose just fat without also getting a loss of lean body mass and strength along with it. If you're serious about lifting, keep your deficit small, and lose the fat slowly. You'll see more progress that way, both in terms of how much you can lift and also in how your body looks. There's no benefit in losing fat quickly. The goal is to maintain a healthy body fat percentage for life, it's not about how quickly you get there. It's about staying there for life.

Personally, I reached my goal in terms of fat loss about a year ago. I now have a goal which is to gain strength and lean mass. I was 130lb, I'm currently aiming for 140lb, while keeping my body fat percentage roughly the same.