Home gym system or barbell with weights?

Options
So, my husband and I have the choice to either buy a home gym system very similar to the bowflex or to get a barbell with weights that go to 160 we can only choose 1 so for trying to start lifting heavy which would you recommend the home gym or just the barbell with weights, in a way I can see the home gym being more beneficial but I know the barbell would be too any help??????

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i like my barbell - best thing about it is it's compact :smile:
    but, i still need a bench, and that would take up some space. add in a squat rack etc, and you're about even for space requirements.
    still, i like the flexibility....
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Barbell/ squat stand hands down. When you are lifting with free weights and barbells you have to use more muscles for balance. Think about squatting with the bar on your shoulders vs using a machine.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I got the multi-station gym machine first and used it happily for many years. Then I got the barbell and power rack and never use the machine. Barbells are much better for strength training. But I kept the machine because the rest of the family uses it (they don't like the barbell).

So, if I were you, I'd get the barbells. Much more efficient at strength training. If they just sit there, unused, then sell them on Craigslist and get the machine. If they do get used, then you can use them for a very long time.

Tom
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd go for Barbell.

Machines target specific muscles but using free weights engages other muscles to support the body and is therefore a more effective workout.
  • ELVISDEAN
    ELVISDEAN Posts: 77
    Options
    ALWAYS FREE WEIGHTS ALWAYS...you are gonna need alot more then a buck sixty soon have fun
    ELVISDEAN
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Between the two, barbell barbell barbell. And barbell again. But I'd take a few kettlebells or sandbags plus a suspension trainer over either one.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Barbells and bench. Get your hubby to make you a squat rack. There is some pretty good directions on you tube.
  • rccmommy3
    rccmommy3 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know much about the home gym system, but I would definitely go with the barbell. Free weights are going to give the best results.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies, we will for sure go with the barbell!!!!!!!!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a machine which I like because I can replicate circuit training at home. But it is also a monster that takes up lots of room and I know you can do really well with hand weights of various sorts to replicate it. So, would I buy it again? Probably not. Am I trying to get rid of it? No. But will we move it when it comes time to downsize? ehhhh, I dunno. Ask me then.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    barbell with weights, bench and a squat rack is all you need.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Good choice!!!