if you burn 3000 calories per week = 1 pound lost?

Options
So Is this true? Will you lose a pound a week if you burn 3,000 calories? Or is it a lot of crap?

The reason i am asking is i want to set myself a goal? Not that i will do it forever and im not saying i will eat junk and workout.

Im trying to eat a balance clean food... and have pretty much for a month now to 6 weeks now, apart from the odd meal cheat. Im close to my goal and i know i need to step it up.

I heard on the radio that if you burnt 3000 calories and eat a good diet you shoud be able to lose a pound a week.

Ive got a Hen Do in a couple of weeks and the extra push is what i need to make sure i feel great on the day.

Just wondered if anyone knew if its true?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    One pound equals 3500 calories. If you have a deficit of that, then you will lose a pound.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Close. 3500 calories is a pound. But you don't necessarily have to "burn" them all. You can do diet, exercise, or a combo. I'm sure someone will explain it much better than me. But you get an idea. :)
  • bellaburch85
    Options
    Thanks.... Ok i see! :)

Just trying to get my head in the right place so i dont burn out. :)

Need to be good and not cause myself any damage!

Im trying to eat around 1500 per day my BMR is 1384. but sometimes i go over but if its on good heath day i dont care to much! :)

So much to think about.

Water DRINK.... Dont eat that, Eat this! lol :) Life changes are hard :) x
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you crunch numbers don't forget to add in exercise calories (as calories burned/lost).
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    In theory yes - however may not always be :/

I track everything..food - exercise etc etc The numbers almost never add up for me in terms of what i lose to my deficit. If you burn / calorie restrict you will lose..but it will not always be exact. I have scene a pattern with mine - ranges from .4 to 2.8 regardless of my burns or calories for the weeks.

Your calorie intake is most important. You can burn 3000 calories a week but..you could also burn yourself out. Do a combo of burning and restricting and you will do great :)
  • Visique
    Visique Posts: 23
    Options
    try this....take your weight and multiply by 12. The number you get is your 'maintenance' calories. Anything under that will be a deficit. Creating a 3500 deficit will result in losing a pound. whether u eat under calorie or workout to create that deficit is up to you.

So in theory, if you burned 500 calories a day.. 7 days a week that would result in -3500 = a pound lost.

Hope that helps. GL!!
  • bellaburch85
    Options
    Wow arent you a helpful bunch!! Thank you so much. :) x