Low carb diet?

Options
I have been thinking about going low carb and high protein lately. I wanted to hear from other people what they did, how they did it and how it worked for them? Is anyone familiar with losing weight cutting carve and increasing protein?
I would love to hear some stories and I am always looking for more active friends!

Replies

• ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Popular low carb diets are low carb, high fat, and moderate protein. Keeping fat even with or more then protein percentage wise for daily calories. It has worked well for me. Never feel deprived and after initial cravings for sweets my hunger is really stable. I still eat a little pasta or breads once in a while but I really try to make sure they are only a small portion of my meal. Before my plate was filled with pasta and sauce with a little protein. If i have a pasta dish now it is mostly protein and veggies with a little noodles.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do a variation of a low carb/moderate protein/high fat diet (Ketogenic diet).

Low carb + plus high protein doesnt sound like the right formula as excessive protein will be converted glucose.

Check out the group called "Keto" for more information about ketogenic dieting.
  • kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have done low carb in the past and have to say that I lost more fat on that diet than any I have ever done. The fat literally melts away. The diet did not fail me, I just missed carbs too much. I would only go on it If that's the way you plan to eat for a Long time or maybe forever. Once I stopped low carbing I gained back all of the weight and fat I lost, plus more. Its a good way to go for anyone WHO can stick with it. I agree with the póster who said low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I started off doing high protein but learned that too much protein can damage the kidneys. The real key is eating high full fat foods, but you have to make sure that carbs like Bread, pasta, etc remain low. I'm only speaking from my experience.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about going low carb and high protein lately. I wanted to hear from other people what they did, how they did it and how it worked for them? Is anyone familiar with losing weight cutting carve and increasing protein?
    I would love to hear some stories and I am always looking for more active friends!

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.
  • pastryari
    Options
    I have done low carb in the past and have to say that I lost more fat on that diet than any I have ever done. The fat literally melts away. The diet did not fail me, I just missed carbs too much. I would only go on it If that's the way you plan to eat for a Long time or maybe forever. Once I stopped low carbing I gained back all of the weight and fat I lost, plus more. Its a good way to go for anyone WHO can stick with it. I agree with the póster who said low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I started off doing high protein but learned that too much protein can damage the kidneys. The real key is eating high full fat foods, but you have to make sure that carbs like Bread, pasta, etc remain low. I'm only speaking from my experience.

lol

Where you in a caloric deficit while "low carb" ? What was your caloric intake once going off "low carb"?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not necessary. Eat proper macros, and at a proper calorie intake for your activity level and you will lose weight. Ketogenic diets are not necessary, but it's completely preference.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Yes it does, but macros can influence body composition. Low carb diets are muscle sparing (especially in women), so you lose more fat and less LBM.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Yes it does, but macros can influence body composition. Low carb diets are muscle sparing (especially in women), so you lose more fat and less LBM.

Eating .82g per lb of body weight of protein is the maximum protein intake that will correlate to muscle gain. Anything over this will not increase muscle gain, or muscle sparing effects. You can eat .82g per lb of protein without going low carb...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Carbs are often high calorie and low long term satiety

Protein is often lower calorie with higher long term satiety

If you are watching your overall calorie consumption, then you may find it easier to eat at a deficit because of the higher long term satiety.

Maintaining a consistent calorie deficit is the key, so if low carbs / high protein helps you manage that deficit, then yes it will work for you.

I love mashed potatoes... but I hate feeling hungry... So I have swapped out the potatoes for more meat. Not because potatoes are "bad", but more because I want to use those calories smarter to keep me happier. :)
  • pastryari
    Options

She asked solely about weight loss. Which ONLY requires a caloric deficit.

But either way, low carb is unnecessary.

Adequate protein & fats + caloric deficit + heavy lifting.
  • AJ_G
    Options

If you are watching your overall calorie consumption, then you may find it easier to eat at a deficit because of the higher long term satiety.

Maintaining a consistent calorie deficit is the key, so if low carbs / high protein helps you manage that deficit, then yes it will work for you.

I love mashed potatoes... but I hate feeling hungry... So I have swapped out the potatoes for more meat. Not because potatoes are "bad", but more because I want to use those calories smarter to keep me happier. :)

Your post is confusing

1 gram of carbs = 4 calories

1 gram of protein = 4 calories

so how is protein low calorie and carbs are high calorie...?
  • AJ_G
    Options

This is a recipe of success. Take note people
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

She asked solely about weight loss. Which ONLY requires a caloric deficit.

But either way, low carb is unnecessary.

I extrapolated that she really meant fat loss. Most people here don't want to lose muscle and become skinny fat.
    Low carb isn't for you, that's cool. Some people like it.
    And definitely +1 on heavy lifting :smile:
  • NewMe721
    NewMe721 Posts: 4
    Options
    oops
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

OP, I do not care to get involved with all the debates about the right or wrong way to go low carb (should it be high fat or high protein), or whether low carb is a valid method for weight loss. No to mention, you did not ask about any of these things. You asked for personal experience.
    So, here goes! I began my weight loss journey in December 2012, I joined MFP in February 2013, and I began losing weight after I went low carb in April. I chose a higher protein level and lower carbs because it works for me. My Macros are 15/50/35 (carb/protein/fat). The evidence this works is in the scale and my blood work. Since April I am losing on average 3-3.5# a week, my blood sugar is 25 points lower, my cholesterol is 75 points lower, and my triglycerides are 125 points lower. (Now, before any one freaks out about a 3.5# a week loss, I am under doctor supervision, I still have over 100# to lose, I am eating approx 1500-1600 calories a day, and I am truly sedentary due to physical limitations)

I came upon this maro ratio by trial and error, this keep my blood sugar in the normal range without medication. Lots of people will tell you that protein levels that high will raise your blood sugar, but I have not found that to be the case. Gradually begin reducing your carbs and see how you feel. Start replacing that baked potato or starchy side for another veggie at dinner, or replacing the carb heavy cereal at breakfast for an omelet. Consistent small changes can make a big difference. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Shari
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Your post is confusing

You are right... I did a crappy job of explaining myself. (Need more sleep)
    If I eat a cup of mashed potatoes, I am likely to consume around 300 calories
    If I eat a cup of cooked diced chicken with some barbecue sauce, it too will be close to that in calories.

Thing is... one cup of potatoes will NOT satisfy me. I will likely have TWO cups... and be hungry again in half an hour.
    One cup of chicken breast DOES satisfy, and it will be about an hour before I start thinking about food again.

So while they may have similar calorie composition, they are NOT the same.

The point I was trying to make was that by switching out the carb rich foods for the protein rich food, I feel fuller, longer, and eat less.

Is that better?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not necessary. Eat proper macros, and at a proper calorie intake for your activity level and you will lose weight. Ketogenic diets are not necessary, but it's completely preference.

This!^

Unless you have a medical reason to go low carb or like low carb so much that it will be a new "lifestyle" for you .... there's no reason to do it.

Sure, I can do low carb for awhile ..... but then I have to start over in a sense ..... when I try to figure out how to keep the weight I've lost (low carbing) off.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    define "low carb" - since it's possible that all the people arguing in here are actually saying the same thing. i find that when i make sure to keep my protein at AROUND 1g/lb... my carbs stay at or below 100.

i guess some would say that's low carb. to me it's just eating an extra serving of chicken instead of the extra serving of rice.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Your post is confusing

You are right... I did a crappy job of explaining myself. (Need more sleep)
    If I eat a cup of mashed potatoes, I am likely to consume around 300 calories
    If I eat a cup of cooked diced chicken with some barbecue sauce, it too will be close to that in calories.

Thing is... one cup of potatoes will NOT satisfy me. I will likely have TWO cups... and be hungry again in half an hour.
    One cup of chicken breast DOES satisfy, and it will be about an hour before I start thinking about food again.

So while they may have similar calorie composition, they are NOT the same.

The point I was trying to make was that by switching out the carb rich foods for the protein rich food, I feel fuller, longer, and eat less.

Is that better?

Better way to explain it...

Proteins take longer to digest = Feeling fuller longer + creates a thermogenic effect.

Carbs are quickly digested and if eat'n in excesse = Fat storage
  • kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    Options

lol

Where you in a caloric deficit while "low carb" ? What was your caloric intake once going off "low carb"?
    . Unfortunately I wasn't keeping track of calories while doing low carb. I can tell you though that I ate eggs, bacon, sausage, homemade full fat ice cream, sour cream, butter, etc, - all high calorie foods; hardly any Bread, pasta, rice, etc. So I would be guessing about any calorie deficit I'm not a big eater so I wasn't over eating, just ate enough to get comfortably full. But my guess would be in cutting out carbs for high fat foods would have upped my calories. I didn't say I lost a lot of weight (only 12 lbs.) but that I lost a lot of fat/inches and dropped a few dress/pant sizes. The person asked for experiences and I offerred mine. I should have also added that my blood sugar was great, but my triglicerides and cholesteral went up. I think the calorie déficit you talk about works, but not when doing low carb. Most people were eating a lot of calories (a lot!) and were losing a lot of weight/fat. AGAIN I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS RELATING MY EXPERIENCE, WHICH IS WHAT WE WERE ASKED TO DO! DON'T WHAT'S SO FUNNY