METFORMIN

Options
Hi all, is anyone else on this medication for insulin resistance? Since I have been taking it my appetite has really decreased. I thought it just lowered blood pressure and am wondering how others find taking this medication, and if there are any side effects for anyone else?

Replies

• katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Metformin slows down the production of insulin. I'm on it right now. It actually helps regulate blood sugar. I've been on it for about a year now. I have lost extra weight in my tummy area. I also make sure to eat something with it, or I get nasty gut rot.
  • Bengal_tiger
    Options
    Metformin slows down the production of insulin. I'm on it right now. It actually helps regulate blood sugar. I've been on it for about a year now. I have lost extra weight in my tummy area. I also make sure to eat something with it, or I get nasty gut rot.

Thanks Kate!!!
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been on it on and off for the last 4 years. I've been pregnant twice during that time so I get off of it in the second and third trimester. I have found that it also reduces my appetite and also have GI problems especially if I eat food that is high in fat content. I have found that when I'm not on it I have a very difficult time losing weight in spite of diet and exercise. It really does help to level out my hormones and overall I feel much better on it. Good luck to you!!
  • gigila72
    gigila72 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have not:( However, my father's medication was changed from something else to Metformin and he has lost a lot. The suspect is that his previous med. contributed to weight gain.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tried taking it recently for my PCOS. My appetite decreased as well and carb cravings just disappeared but I found it left me feeling very weak and getting dizzy spells....it really affected my workouts so I needed to stop taking it.
  • suzanneism
    suzanneism Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was on it and it didn't affect me at all, other than in the bathroom. I stopped taking it. My doctor then tried to put me back on it, to lose weight, which didn't help the 9 months I was on it. So, I declined.
  • kasysantana
    Options
    i was on it for five years for my diabetes and pcos. it does decrease your apettite and it make you go to the bathroom... a lot! lol Thank God dont have to take them no more.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I guess it must do different things for different people. I'm on it and my appetite is not decreased. I kind of wish it was, that would make this whole situation easier. I do experience some tummy issues, however, related to it - so that does make me feel a little like not eating sometimes.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Hello :)

I have PCOS and high insulin levels. I have been taking metformin for 13 years and it evens my levels. I have not had any side effects from it (that I know of).... unless I am just so used to it?
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When your insulin spikes and knocks down your bloodsugar it then triggers a hunger signal. If you don't get a big insulin response anymore because your blood sugar stays low you will get less hunger cravings. The way to get the same response without drugs is through diet by lowering carb intake.
  • strick1982
    strick1982 Posts: 75
    Options
    I've been taking it for a little over a year. It doesn't decrease my appetite nor helped me lose weight. I dunno.....
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Crazy diarrhea.
  • odieluv1
    odieluv1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Been on it for a few months for insulin resistence, takes away my cravings and gives me a stomach at that sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night. especially if i have ate heavy carbs
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I lost my first pregnancy and I attribute that to hyper insulin production. I started on 500mg back in Novemember and so far this pregnancy is still viable.

I dont really feel a difference on it.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lose my appetite? I wish! Not at all. However, I think it was a BIG part of why I lost 50 lbs after surgery last year! The doctors would NOT listen to me and insisted I take it at my full regular dose even though normally if you have never been on it or have been off it for a while (like not eating for over a week before said emergency surgery, nor for at least another week after) you should ramp it up slowly to prevent the diarrhea. I think that since my surgery involved the bowel that they were more concerned that I not get stopped up, as they wouldn't give me the Immodium at the proper dosage either! I was eating normallly, and I had trouble for nearly two months - good thing I wasn't able to go anywhere! I do NOT recommend it as a diet aid... just sayin'!

Having gotten going well at the weight loss with using MFP, I am hopeful that I can keep getting my carbs down, and that the weight loss will either get me off the metformin or at least reduce the dosage considerably, as even with the timed-release type of metformin I still have troubles.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Metformin (aka Glucophage) "decreases hepatic glucose production and intestinal absorption of glucose and improves insulin sensitivity (increases peripheral glucose uptake)" - Nursing 2011 Drug Handbook

This means your liver produces less glucose, your intestines absorb less (thus lowering your carb/calorie intake by not absorbing it) and encourages your tissues to "uptake" or utilize the glucose. Ingesting glucose affects blood sugar - so the intestinal part would help with that. Your liver releases/creates some glucose - and may no longer be sensitive to insulins and other hormones to stimulate it to start/stop the process properly so telling it to stop lowers blood glucose. Telling tissues to take the glucose up to use it - takes it out of the blood and helps insulin resistance.

Even though you remain at risk for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) with any anti-diabetic medication, this is one of the lowest risk medications for hypoglycemia. It is also very commonly used "off-label" for weight loss. That just means it's not approved for that use, but it might be ordered by your doctor for that. It is associated somewhat with tubular necrosis (or kidney damage).
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Metformin does NOT slow down production of insulin....quite the opposite. You need MORE insulin when you are diabetic. The answer to your question is likely due to the fact that your cells are "hungry" for glucose since the lack of insulin has denied the ability to enter the cells....likely decreasing your hunger d/t the fact that your body is getting what it wants/needs to perform.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Metformin does NOT slow down production of insulin....quite the opposite. You need MORE insulin when you are diabetic. The answer to your question is likely due to the fact that your cells are "hungry" for glucose since the lack of insulin has denied the ability to enter the cells....likely decreasing your hunger d/t the fact that your body is getting what it wants/needs to perform.

Not true. I have high insulin levels. I have taken metformin since I was 14 and it balances my levels for PCOS.