food ideas while going through radiation?

texaslonghorn42
texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone here had been through radiation for breast cancer and if so, could you give me some suggestions for things I should be eating? I just started radiation yesterday for breast cancer. I have to do 33 total treatments... so 5 times a week for 6 1/2 weeks. I am somewhat sick to my stomach though right now that may be nerves more than anything and am not very hungry at times. I am trying to add more protein to my diet to help rebuild the healthy cells that are being killed off every day during my treatments. I want to make sure I am eating enough calories without going overboard. I know that radiation burns calories as my cells are constantly rebuilding but have no idea HOW MANY calories are burned during treatment. Any suggestions from someone who has been down this path would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    [/quote]

If your appetite is is good try this:

Fruits and Vegetables - Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables by focusing on different colors each week. Choose 7 to 9 servings, or greater than 4 cups, per day.

Grains - Eat at least 6 servings of grain products per day with at least 3 of those servings being whole grain products. Examples include: ½ cup of oatmeal; ½ cup of brown rice; 1 slice of whole grain bread; and ½ cup of whole wheat pasta.

Meat and Poultry - Choose moderate amounts of low fat meat, poultry and fish, about 6 ounces per day. Examples include: lean beef trimmed of fat, such as round, sirloin, flank, tenderloin, and ground beef which is 90% lean or greater; cuts of pork trimmed of all visible fat; and skinless chicken breast.

Dairy - Choose moderate amounts of low fat dairy foods, about 3 serving per day. Examples include: 1 cup of low fat milk; 1 cup of low fat yogurt; 2 cups of low fat cottage cheese; and 1/3 cup of low fat shredded cheese (3 grams of fat or less per ounce).

Cut back on fat, sugar, alcohol and salt.

Fluids - You need 6 to 8 servings of non-caffeinated liquids per day. Each serving should be 8 ounces. Beverages that contain caffeine cannot be counted as part of your fluid intake. Foods that are liquid at room temperature, however, can be counted. Some examples are: ice cream, sherbet, gelatin, cream soups, and popsicles. Keep some type of fluid with you at all times so you can sip continually throughout the day. If you are not eating well, choose fluids that contain calories, such as fruit juices, milk, smoothies, sports drinks, and liquid supplements or meal replacements.

If you do not have much appetite focus on foods that help increase protein:

Dairy

Melt cheese on sandwiches, breads, muffins, tortillas, hamburgers, hot dogs, meats, fish, vegetables, eggs, soups, casseroles, chili, mashed potatoes, rice, and pasta.
    Use milk (instead of water) while preparing hot cereals, soups, cocoa, and pudding.
    Add ice cream, frozen yogurt, or yogurt to carbonated beverages (ginger ale), shakes, cereals, fruit, gelatin, and pie. Sandwich between cookies, cake, and graham crackers.

Eggs

Add powdered milk or egg white powder to shakes, milk, casseroles, meatloaf, breads, muffins, sauces, soups, mashed potatoes, puddings, hot cereals, and scrambled eggs.
    Add extra egg whites to scrambled eggs, French toast batter, and casseroles.

Nuts and Legumes

Use nuts or seeds in casseroles, breads, muffins, pancakes, cookies, vegetables, ice cream, or as a simple snack.
    Spread peanut butter on sandwiches, toast, muffins, crackers, fruit, waffles, pancakes, and vegetables. Blend in to shake or ice cream.

Hope these tips help.

If you cannot eat, at least try keeping ensure or boost handy at all times.
  • I use Juice Plus... fruits and veg concentrated powders in capsule form, no taste, pre digested, all of the nutrition. RememberJuicePlus.com.
  • sueldav
    sueldav Posts: 2
    I found this website that has an article on nutrition during treatments. I didn't read it all but hope it may have some helpful insights for you. My heart goes out to you. I know it has to be very difficult. I think you are being very wise about checking into finding ways to help your body with healing. Sometimes people don't even give it a thought. I would think that helping you to learn good nutrition during treatment would be a standard thing a cancer doc would discuss with you. But after having a couple of friends go through it. I have learned they don't talk about it at all. I will pray for you, know that the Lord loves you and He wants to walk you through this.
    Here's the link http://nutrition-matters.com/articles.html
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    A dietitian once told me that if you're undergoing any type of treatment or procedure that is likely to make you sick to your stomach, *avoid* your favourite foods. The brain associates vomiting shortly after a meal with that particular meal making you sick (and therefore being bad for you), resulting in an aversion to those foods. (Hopefully that sentence makes sense... seems kind of awkward reading over it.) If you haven't already, I highly suggest seeing a dietitian to get a nutrition plan together that's tailored to you and your treatment schedule.

Good luck, and hang in there!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    First off you are in my prayers...

This is my Granny's recipe for her soup that she swore by when she was going through chemo and radiation for breast cancer. Its the only thing she could keep down
    1 can of chicken broth and 1 can of water (use 98% fat free) 20 cals
    1 chicken breast (4 oz-6oz) 120-180
    celery- 2 stocks cut 17
    onion 1/4 cup (she omitted this on really bad days) 15
    tomato cut in chunks 30
    cabbage about 2 cups 46
    sugar to taste (she likes sweet and your body needs the sugar dont be afraid of the calories there is only 45 in 1 table spoon) 45

Boil chicken breast in the broth and water until very tender, de-bone if has one, add veggies and salt and pepper and sugar boil until tender.
    only 293 cals for the whole thing =) oh and she swore by homemade bread.
    Good luck and if you need anything please just call on me =)
    Tiff
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    I use Juice Plus... fruits and veg concentrated powders in capsule form, no taste, pre digested, all of the nutrition. RememberJuicePlus.com.

these vitamins are the best ever! i second this suggestion!

also, my dad loved grape juice after radiation and chemo. not sure why, but we went thru tons of it. i will be praying for you.
    dawn

p.s. can you have your church or a moms group drop by some casseroles that you can freeze? you might get to a point where you are not hungry at all, but they will be and it can be overwhelming for you to have to cook for them when you feel like poo (or for hubby to cook when he is not used to doing that after a full day of work).
  • Thanks for the dietary ideas. I am going through exactly the same treatment for breast cancer. I have 11 more treatments to go. and 6 more months of herceptin. I cannot get past the fatigue. Anyone have any suggestion for that.
This discussion has been closed.