Please Help: Maximum Heart Rate

Options
wbandel
wbandel Posts: 530 Member
I just bought a HRM (Polar FT7) watch and it's telling me my heart rate is getting too high on exercises I didn't think twice about before. Sure I get tired, but I thought that was all part of the it's gotta take effort to be a workout thing. When I jog for 30 min. at a rate of 4-5 mph (really not all that fast), I still can get up to 200 quite easily. Before my watch and didn't know my numbers, I'd just push through it and I could keep going for 3 miles. Now when I see the number creep up I freak out and start walking. Even my fast walk will get me into my target range on my watch.

I'm 5'11", 167lbs, 25 years old. I've been jogging and biking for the last year, so it isn't like my body isn't used to it yet. I do have a bit of bad circulation in my left leg from a prior DVT, but I don't think that would affect it that much. I think even before then I had a rather high heart rate, but then again, I've never been that active of an individual. I think my watch is working accurately. My resting heart rate is high 50's or low 60's. I double checked this by testing my pulse the old fashioned way. I guess the next thing i could do is use the old fashioned method right after jogging and see if it's getting that high.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any input on maximum heart rate. I did a brief look online and there is some evidence that people's maximum numbers can be different than what the formula comes up with. I just wanna know if I can keep jogging, or if I really gotta scale it back to get into my target range. And if I do scale it back, is there a method of training to lower my heart rate so that I can focus on getting back into jogging?

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Also, can caffeine have an affect on heart rate?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Also, can caffeine have an affect on heart rate?

Yes. Caffeine can have a huge effect on your HR. Even a small amount. And remember caffeine isn't just in coffee, but tea and chocolate and lots of things.

When I first got my HRM I found that I was hitting my maximum HR too easily as well. I talked to my doctor about it and he tested my resting HR and found my maximum himself. It was a lot higher than the HRM said it was.

You might want to see a doctor and get a professional opinion.
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    Caffeine and some medications can significantly increase your heart rate, too much can even make it irregular. I would expect caffeine to affect your resting rate too.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Please clarify; first you stated that youve "been jogging and biking for the past year". Then in closing you state that "can focus on getting back into jogging"

Assuming you have primarily been biking and now trying to run, you are not in running shape and will have a higher HR. You need to run at a speed that will allow you to converse in complete sentences.

Run slow and dont worry about speed, your primary goal is to build your base. If you are breathing heavy youre running too fast. As your aerobic base strengthens your HR will drop.

Most importantly, visit your doctor and get his input.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am smaller than you, but much older at 38. My resting HR is also in the upper 50's to low 60's. Given my age, my maximum should be less than yours. I've observed my HR going to 200 as well. It's even gone over that slightly on hot days, but I notice it at that point and don't feel well. I estimate my current max HR to be right around 200 so that's what I program into my HRM. Most of the time, the highest I see is 190 but it will still get higher on rare occasion.

Your max HR is likely higher than the formula. You will be fine! Just pay attention to how you feel when your HR gets that high.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A rule of thumb is to calculate your max to be 220 minus your age (yours would be 195). You are not too far off but I would suggest you try to keep your rate below your max in the 80-90% range of the max. Your body could react to the high rate and think it is under stress which could have negative effects on your weight loss/fitness. In my opinion, I would slow down and ease your way into the jogging or do a lower impact cardio exercise like biking. But by all means, if you want to jog keep jogging but maybe slow down your pace a bit. Just opinions here, I'm no expert.
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same type of questions as I also just bought a heart monitor with chest strap and I am 35, 120 lbs with a resting heart rate of 85 and a supposed max heart rate of 190, but my monitor shows I am staying in the 170's and 180's during my Zumba class and I am comfortable and can still have conversations so I don't know what my true MHR would be. I have been doing zumba for three months, three times a week and have gotten more fit, lost inches, lost some weight, and a marked difference in my endurance in a good way.

But as learn about the 5 heart rate levels, I feel I need to be around the 150's to burn fat and just can't stay that low while I am in class. Even after cool down and stretching, it sits around 120 or so.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I just bought a HRM (Polar FT7) watch and it's telling me my heart rate is getting too high on exercises I didn't think twice about before. Sure I get tired, but I thought that was all part of the it's gotta take effort to be a workout thing. When I jog for 30 min. at a rate of 4-5 mph (really not all that fast), I still can get up to 200 quite easily. Before my watch and didn't know my numbers, I'd just push through it and I could keep going for 3 miles. Now when I see the number creep up I freak out and start walking. Even my fast walk will get me into my target range on my watch.

I'm 5'11", 167lbs, 25 years old. I've been jogging and biking for the last year, so it isn't like my body isn't used to it yet. I do have a bit of bad circulation in my left leg from a prior DVT, but I don't think that would affect it that much. I think even before then I had a rather high heart rate, but then again, I've never been that active of an individual. I think my watch is working accurately. My resting heart rate is high 50's or low 60's. I double checked this by testing my pulse the old fashioned way. I guess the next thing i could do is use the old fashioned method right after jogging and see if it's getting that high.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any input on maximum heart rate. I did a brief look online and there is some evidence that people's maximum numbers can be different than what the formula comes up with. I just wanna know if I can keep jogging, or if I really gotta scale it back to get into my target range. And if I do scale it back, is there a method of training to lower my heart rate so that I can focus on getting back into jogging?

As you run, your resting and exercise HR will drop because you get more efficient at running and your cardiovascular system improves.

Why do you think your HRM is not accurate? I'm 56 years old and my HR gets into the 180's during some workouts (my max HR was 192 a couple of years back)

If you have restricted blood flow in your leg, you will have to work harder to run. I had a DVT 10+ years ago but there's no loss in circulation.

Just for S&G, get over to Runner's World and set up a training plan (they're free). Follow the plan and chart your HR over time. Betcha it drops! :-)