Difference in Fit Proportion of Regular Sizes vs. Plus Sizes

Options
I was wearing regular size 14 and 16 prior to getting pregnant in 1998, which was at the height of the "Mom Jeans" era. Post-pregnancy, I ended up in 18W and 20W and stayed there for 14 years. Only in the last couple months have I started shopping for regular sizes again, and boy is it a shock!

Whereas plus-sized pants tended to be tighter in the waist when they fit my hips, regular sizes are large in the waist when they fit my hips. I seem to recall that waist gap was a problem before, but never to this extent. I guess that the proportions of my body have changed a good bit over the years, and I guess also that plus sizes tend to be more generous in the hips compared to the waist.

Anyone else have this problem? Even better, anyone aware of clothing brands with more generous fit in the hips? Right now I'm trying to be budget-minded when shopping since I'm only about 1/2 way to my goal.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Yes, that is one of the differences between "misses" and "womens" sizes. I've had generally good luck with Land's End.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I think it's a combination of both your body shape changing and the way clothes are cut nowadays.

I'm not sure how much help I will be to you since I'm at maintenance, but I found jeans that sit at the hips rather than the natural waist to be a better fit for me.

I am pear-shaped with a smaller waist, so "fitted' pants are skin tight around my thighs and totally loose around my waist.
    Not very flattering :noway:

I found some success with "legging" type pants (not necessarily jean material) that have a tailored elastic waist and are a bit loose around the bottom/thighs but still not "sweat-pant" looking.

Last summer, I bought several pairs of knit shorts and capris from the fitness section at Target that looked slightly more tailored that I can wear in casual "dressy" situations that look nice with pretty tops and sandals.

When all else fails, I wear skirts when it's warm enough :wink:
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eddie Bauer & Nine West have worked for me but those were hand-me-downs that may be 3-4 years old. I found them to be adequately generous in the hips yet cinched in enough at the waist for a traditional hourglass figure.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    I have had the same problem...fits my hips but not thighs or vise versa...I have had good luck with Torrid its a plus sized women's store but on the pricey side...not sure of budget but I always go when sales and they have some nice ones...but again PRICEY! But my thought is I look better and feel more comply in them so I guess...I have never paid so much for jeans as I have always been the Walmart/Ross type of girl lol
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Shop at Goodwill or another thrift store until you get to your goal. I used to sell on ebay full time and was always amazed at what I found in the thrift stores. I once ought a dolce and gabana dress for $4.75.
    Don't waste your money on retail. I have so many clothes in my closet that are beautiful and they are mostly from goodwill. Everything was about five dollars.
    :)
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Oh... And I'm picky. I worked at Nordstroms in West Los Angeles for 8 years. ( right next to Beverly Hills, etc)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Wait...where are you wearing your pants??? I wear mine right below the iliac crest. I thought that's where everyone wore them.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wait...where are you wearing your pants??? I wear mine right below the iliac crest. I thought that's where everyone wore them.

That wasn't the style in the 90's, and besides I have thrown out all my pre-preg clothes. I am not comfortable enough with my body to wear low-rise pants but hope to get there one day. I don't want them high on the waist, either. Somewhere comfortably in between to minimize muffin topping.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't ventured to Goodwill but it may come to that. Mostly been shopping the sale racks at Cato and NY & Co.

What's so maddening is that I am fairly boy-shaped all the way down, with no defined waist. But I have these saddlebags that make things tight in the hips. I have always been averse to wearing my clothing too tight, even more so after I gained weight. And if I have to choose between pants that are baggy in the butt vs. baggy in the waist, the baggy butt always wins. Baggy waist is not only more unflattering but also dangerous to wear. I don't like belts due to the bulk.

Boy, I'm just a picky miss today--huh??
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I like Old Navy's Sweetheart jeans. They are made for those of us with bigger hips/thighs and smaller waists.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem. Buying clothes from big name stores just does that, since they design everything around a one-model-pattern. My theory is they design all their clothes around the size -000 boy shaped models, and then just scale it up for the bigger sizes. Sorry to burst your bubble fashion designers, but normal women have curves :)

I have huge thighs and butt, so I tend to have a good few inches in the waist, mostly pokes out the back. It's very annoying, and I refuse to wear belts because of the bulk as well.

And don't even get me started on button down shirts.... The gals never fit. Yeesh.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The only jeans that fit me well (smaller at the waist, wider in the hips) are Lee Riders. They're about $20 at Walmart and come in both women's and regular sizes, so as I've lost weight I've been able to transition down.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem...fits my hips but not thighs or vise versa...I have had good luck with Torrid its a plus sized women's store but on the pricey side...

I was just about to say Torrid. I love their denim shorts and crops!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've always been bigger in the hips and thighs with a small(er) waist, and my favorite jeans are Levi's 515 Boot Cut. They are a little roomier in the thighs and sit just at at the navel. They also now have something called Levi's Curve which are jeans designed for curvier body types but I haven't tried them yet and they're kind of expensive at $58 per pair. But, you can do their Curve ID and pick what your body looks like and they recommend which jeans would work best for you.

And don't even get me started on skinny jeans...

ETA: I've also owned a few pairs of Lee Riders and those aren't bad either, so I second that suggestion.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    ...regular sizes are large in the waist when they fit my hips. I seem to recall that waist gap was a problem before, but never to this extent. I guess that the proportions of my body have changed a good bit over the years, and I guess also that plus sizes tend to be more generous in the hips compared to the waist.

Anyone else have this problem? Even better, anyone aware of clothing brands with more generous fit in the hips? Right now I'm trying to be budget-minded when shopping since I'm only about 1/2 way to my goal.

Eddie Bauer and Chico's both have a curvy fit that should work well for you from what you describe. The waist is essentially is cut a size smaller than the hip, so you could have a 14 hip and 12 waist. They are not cheap, but you can sometimes catch clearance deals on-line.

Have you tried Sonoma brand jeans from Kohl's? The boyfriend fit might work well for you. And I have gotten them for as little as $14.

I also agree with an earlier poster that you might try Lee jeans. I like the Kohl's version because for me, for my butt, I am not a fan of the spade shaped pocket on their traditional jean.

I have also had luck with good old Faded Glory Jeans at Walmart...2 pairs of the jean capri's I am wearing now are Faded Glory from Walmart.

Good luck! I feel your pain! :-)
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Shop at Goodwill or another thrift store until you get to your goal. I used to sell on ebay full time and was always amazed at what I found in the thrift stores. I once ought a dolce and gabana dress for $4.75.
    Don't waste your money on retail. I have so many clothes in my closet that are beautiful and they are mostly from goodwill. Everything was about five dollars.
    :)
    I second this motion. This is what I do.
  • momofpre
    momofpre Posts: 23
    Options
    I had the same problems with clothing fitting as far as hips. My waist needs to be whittled a little and in some regular clothes they are snug but still better than the size 18 and 20's were they cut off your circulation. I don't know who determines the dimensions and sizes but I don't think they got it quite right yet, or there're probably a size 2.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am an in between body shape. Somewhere around pear/hourglass. (I was more pear, till I added weights for upper body). To compound things, I am busty. And very short waisted. So basically I always have gapping in the waist, and tight in the hips and thighs. Low rise is normal rise on me. But things with a preset waist tend to hit high since I am busty. And I have small ankles and smallish big calves (big for my foot size, small for my clothing size), so finding skinny jeans is impossible. Oh and my legs are long for my height. 31" inseam is a bit above ankle on me, and I am 5'4". So I have fit problems all over the place.

I found that plus sized clothes were too big in the waist most of the time.

In terms of misses brands?

I have found curvy fit almost always works.

Old Navy clothing tends to be cut straight in the waist, but their are fits that are more generous in the thighs.

The last few jeans I have purchased? Jeggings from forever 21+, INC and American Rag. Cayon River Jeans from Sears in curvy. INC in curvy. Style and Co in curvy.

I tried on the Old NAvy midrise rockstar (online only) and these were pretty good, just short for me in regular and a bit loose in the ankles.

Happy shopping!

I hear good things about Not Your Daughters Jeans, but they did not fit me well. (The butt sucked on me, but mine is big and flat.....so pocket placement it important!)

Oh I forgot one, long and lean at Gap is good for smaller waisted/bigger people.

And one brand for the busty ladies out there? Micheal Kors and Calvin Klein are cut well for boobs.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The only jeans that fit me well (smaller at the waist, wider in the hips) are Lee Riders. They're about $20 at Walmart and come in both women's and regular sizes, so as I've lost weight I've been able to transition down.

^This. I have about a 12 inch difference in my measurements AKA my waist is TINY for my weight and my hips are definitely not and these are the only jeans I will buy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the smaller waist compared to hips on so many plus-sized pants. Also incredible long rises. This has never worked for me since my waist and hips have always been close to each other in size -- even when I weighed a hundred plus pounds less than I do now. When I find pant that fit my waist the hips and crotch look like harem pants even if they are supposed to be dress slacks. :ohwell:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And don't even get me started on button down shirts.... The gals never fit. Yeesh.

Banana Republic is the only place for button downs. Their non-iron fitted shirt works and I got a wonderful linen shirt this year. Not only can I actually button the shirts, there is no gapping.