Always so tired

Options
I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how to keep energized through out the day. Even if I go to bed early (usually 9 or 9:30 is early) I still wake up (at 7 in the morning) feeling just plain tired. Then at 3 in the afternoon my energy level crashes (and I work till 5). I usually have to give myself like 10 to 15 minutes of rest (not sleeping or napping, just lying down in a quiet room) before I can recover enough energy to get on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes. Then after that I am still so tired, which really sucks because I never can get any weight training done, that after I take a shower I don't have the energy or will power to do anything but go to bed. But if I go to bed at 7:00 then I will be awake at like 3 in the morning which is not good. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what I can do to keep my energy level up throughout the day? Don't want to do caffeine as it cause my anxiety to flare up.

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 9 and get up at 3:30. I come home, I workout, I get supper ready, I spent time with the wife, then I go out again and train martial arts.

Stop thinking about it and just do it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 9 and get up at 3:30. I come home, I workout, I get supper ready, I spent time with the wife, then I go out again and train martial arts.

That really doesn't seem helpful.

What/how much are you eating? If you just cut your calories, that can cause decreased energy.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're diary isn't open so people can't see what you're eating. Too little calories, carbs, etc could be a reason. I was exhausted all the time when I had a vitamin D deficiency as well, so it could be medical. I hope it gets better.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I thought it was helpful, just do it,,,
  • ashowers36
    ashowers36 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

What/how much are you eating? If you just cut your calories, that can cause decreased energy.

I am eating the 1200 net calories a day that MFP has suggested for me. I used to not eat back my exercise calories until I learned that was not what I should be doing, so now I eat them back even tough I am usually not hungry. So I am eating the 1200 calories that suggested.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs. Your body needs energy, carbs will give you that. Don't go crazy with it, but eat a balanced diet, get some sleep, and instead of focusing on what you can't do, focus on what you can and push yourself.
  • ltburns63
    ltburns63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are so many possible causes. Just being overweight can make you tired, as it does with me. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 15 years ago and now take medication for it. It could be a lack of vitamins, which you will be consuming less of if you cut back your calories. Make sure you take at least a multivitamin every day. You can also go to GNC and check for natural supplements that boost energy - make sure they don't have caffeine in them.

Shawshankcan has a point to stop thinking about it and just do it, and if you can, that's great! For me, once I get in the routine of exercising, even if it's just 15 minutes on the treadmill, that increases my metabolism and my energy levels and it gets easier. Yoga is awesome, because even though there's no cardio, it increases bloodflow in the body and helps you to relax. Stress is a huge factor for me getting tired so easily. Just DON'T GIVE UP!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Have you had any testing done at your dr's office? Thyroid disorders can cause you to be unusually tired.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest cutting back on any caffeine you might be consuming in the evening (coffee, tea, chocolate), and any liquor, as both can seriously inhibit the quality of sleep you get through the night, which can lead to exhaustion upon waking in the morning.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I am eating the 1200 net calories a day that MFP has suggested for me. I used to not eat back my exercise calories until I learned that was not what I should be doing, so now I eat them back even tough I am usually not hungry. So I am eating the 1200 calories that suggested.

That may still not be enough, it isn't for a lot of people. I eat a minimum of 1,600 calories a day. Check out this calorie calculator. You may be able to eat more and still lose, while having more energy. www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also, if someone is struggling, telling them to "get over it" isn't helpful, there is usually a reason
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've been having a similar problem. I've been eating the 1400 recommended to me for the last two months, but over the last two weeks I've been really sleepy all the time. I have low blood pressure, which can make me tired, and was told to eat more salt. What does your salt intake look like?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I told her what I do. I had problems with motivation, fatigue and such. In the end, I wasn't getting where I wanted, I was just making excuses. I don't, for a minute, say that every day I come in 100%. Some days I call in the workout, but I still get a workout in.

The less I think about it, the better. I don't have the opportunity to make excuses.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt to go get a blood test and make sure you don't have any thyroid issues, vitamin deficiencies, etc. That being said, your diary makes me feel hungry. Maybe you just need more nutrient-rich foods? I hope you feel better soon! I have fms so I know what it's like to feel tired and not be able to "push through it". :smile:
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You say that you are consistent with your sleep pattern. When sleeping, do you breathe heavily or snore?

I was diagnosed with Upper Respiratory Airway Resistance - a sleep breathing disorder that was waking me up enough to prevent deep sleep (stage III), but not enough to wake me up the whole way.

Just a thought to keep in mind if other changes don't solve the problem.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to check your numbers with one of the calorie calculators. When I first started this, I was eating the 1200 that MFP set for me. I was always so tired. I increased my calories and am feeling much better. I don't drag as much through the day and now I have energy for my workouts. Make sure you're getting everything your body needs to keep you going!

Also, do you have sleep issues? My husband does and there are may times he'll wake up in the morning feeling like he never even slept.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it all worked out.
  • ashowers36
    Options
    I've just made my diary public so you all can get a better idea of what I am eating. To those of you who are saying to stop thinking about it and just do it or push though it please don't take this the wrong way but it isn't really a helpful suggestion. I don't actually think about it all the time or anything. I was just sitting here at my desk job and realized that I am just always really tired and wondered if any of you guys had any suggestions on how to kick up my energy so I can get things done that need to be. I always do my cardio no matter how tired I am so I always push through it, but the house work is suffering to say the least not mention that I would like to be able to spend time with my husband without falling to sleep 2 minutes into our conversation because I am always tired.
  • Wicked_Angel
    Options
    I had that same problem for MONTHS. I had quit smoking last year and that's when all my energy plummeted. I researched and occasionally people who quit smoking have their thyroid flat line, so I went to the doctor and after about a month of testing, my only issue was that my B, D and Iron were low, but all else was great (in fact, though I had gained 10 lbs from my last physical 5 years ago, I am actually healthier - still have to work on the weight - not healthy at all, but I don't want to squander that internal health with external lack of health).

I started taking supplements (I won't list which ones, but you can probably gather the main ones), and after a few weeks, I feel great! Now, when I don't get enough sleep (as is the case today), I feel like I could crash and burn, but I'm back to feeling rested when I sleep and have a good amount of energy throughout the day. I hope this helps.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance you have sleep apnea? That could definitely cause your exhaustion.
  • ashowers36
    Options
    You say that you are consistent with your sleep pattern. When sleeping, do you breathe heavily or snore?

I was diagnosed with Upper Respiratory Airway Resistance - a sleep breathing disorder that was waking me up enough to prevent deep sleep (stage III), but not enough to wake me up the whole way.

Just a thought to keep in mind if other changes don't solve the problem.

I don't breath heavily or snore (I know this cause I've asked my husband). I am usually so tired that I can crash right out. I will wake up multiple times in the night though (sometimes feeling really refreshed and energized, problem is that it is usually at like 3:30 in the morning and only last for a short time). I think the quality of sleep I get isn't very good but no doctor I've ever asked has given me any suggestions on what I could to do get a better nights sleep.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I worked day shift. Since I've come back to nights, I've usually had more energy.