Daily weighers; How much weight do you gain..

2»

Replies

• rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    I generally fluctuate 2-5 lbs. I use this data to determine whether I've hydrated enough. If I've had enough water in a day, I will lose about 2 lbs overnight. If I lose less than that, I know I didn't drink enough water, and I make sure to increase.
    Why is that? I'm not being sarcastic--I am really curious how water works with helping in weight loss. Is it b/c it flushes sodium out? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
  • vjm7981
    vjm7981 Posts: 42 Member
    I consume a lot of water each and every day so fluctuations of 5-10 lbs a day is pretty normal for me. I am normally back down the next morning to where I was or lower. The only times my fluctuations really carry over to a day or two later is when I exceed my calories by ALOT for the day or when I go out drinking. Never fails...drinking = 2-3 days of scale hating for me haha :laugh:
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Yes, 3-5 lbs is normal for me over the course of the day, but I occasionally see a gain the next morning of 2 lbs or so, usually after eating salty snacks or booze the night before. Never lasts more than a day or two.

The point is not what's normal for us, but what's normal for you. You will only learn that by weighing yourself daily and trying to be objective about the results.

It's just a number, a not very accurate one, that says absolutely nothing about who you are as a person.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Over the course of the day, my weight fluctuates about 3-5 pounds. By morning, though, I'll be back to my "normal" weight unless I've lost weight.

I would agree with this.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    about 2 pounds daily, weekends maybe more like 3-4
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    I generally fluctuate 2-5 lbs. I use this data to determine whether I've hydrated enough. If I've had enough water in a day, I will lose about 2 lbs overnight. If I lose less than that, I know I didn't drink enough water, and I make sure to increase.
    Why is that? I'm not being sarcastic--I am really curious how water works with helping in weight loss. Is it b/c it flushes sodium out? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Not a dumb question. I don't exacctly use it for weight loss data. I just find it interesting that when I inadvertantly dehydrate myself (which can include too high sodium intake - like Chinese takeout), that I weigh more. If I stay hydrated, my body does not retain the water as much.

For me, the numbers on the scales are simple data, like temperature. So, slight increases don't distress me, I just like to figure out what factors cause them. If the numbers on the scales get to a slow & steady up-creep, then I know I need to tweak exercise routines and food intake. If I lose only a half-pound overnight, then I know I had too much sodium and/or not enough water, the day before. All the data just helps me figure out what the day's goals are :-)
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Yes, 3-5 lbs is normal for me over the course of the day, but I occasionally see a gain the next morning of 2 lbs or so, usually after eating salty snacks or booze the night before. Never lasts more than a day or two.

The point is not what's normal for us, but what's normal for you. You will only learn that by weighing yourself daily and trying to be objective about the results.

It's just a number, a not very accurate one, that says absolutely nothing about who you are as a person.

This!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I've seen a jump of up to five pounds from morning to morning.

I've also seen it jump a pound or two after a day of really high sodium, even if I was right in my calorie range and hit my macros.

Biggest jumps come after vacations. Even just a few days on vacation (I log, but don't "count", while on vacation) can see a 10-15 pound jump.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    I usually gain about 3 or 4 during the day... can still be a pound or so heavier by morning... depends on how much I went over my calories/ sodium/ etc. That's why I only have an "official" weigh in once per week.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    7-10 pounds
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member

Not a dumb question. I don't exacctly use it for weight loss data. I just find it interesting that when I inadvertantly dehydrate myself (which can include too high sodium intake - like Chinese takeout), that I weigh more. If I stay hydrated, my body does not retain the water as much.

For me, the numbers on the scales are simple data, like temperature. So, slight increases don't distress me, I just like to figure out what factors cause them. If the numbers on the scales get to a slow & steady up-creep, then I know I need to tweak exercise routines and food intake. If I lose only a half-pound overnight, then I know I had too much sodium and/or not enough water, the day before. All the data just helps me figure out what the day's goals are :-)
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. :smile:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    3-5lbs is average. Was up 12 today. Almost all sweated out at gym and run on beach.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    mines usually about 2 lbs a day.. ...but I never go below a certain lb.. if I do..i know i'm on a weight loss trend.. its been about a month since that has happened though :( always depends on that time of month, and what I ate before... :/
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    This morning I weighed myself at work and was 174 lbs. If we log into the computer connected to the scale it will keep track of our weight for us but the computer was down so I went back to my desk for about 45 minutes, went back to the scale and weighed again; 172 lbs. During that 45 minutes I drank a cup of coffee and ate 4 boiled egg whites. Go figure!
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    I weigh myself multiple times a day and noticed my weight tends to stay at an even keel most of the time though right after eating I tend to gain between 2-4 lbs and then it returns to normal between 2-6 hours later
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    The most I know of was a 5Ib gain from devouring two bakery loaves of fruit bread over a 12 hour period.
    That was nice bread. Obviously it had me retain a load of water.
    4Ibs came off the next day after I went cycling and the other Ib disappeared a few days after.
  • When I first started it could vary by 4 to 5 pounds. Now that I've been doing this for 4 months i find I am almost exactly 2 pounds more at bedtime vs when I wake up (post morning pee).