First time running-joint pain

Options
Hi, just looking for some advice on running.
I went for the first time tonight, made sure I warmed up, and walked for 10 minutes before I started jogging, my knees and ankles feel like they're under a lot of pressure, the longest i managed was about a minute, i only had to stop because my knees hurt so much, and they're still achey now.
I only stayed out for about half an hour, walking for about five minutes, then jogging as long as I could manage.
Is this something that will go away once I get used to running? Could I be doing something wrong? Or am I just not built for running?

Any advice is appreciated
Cheers

Replies

• runningwhilemommy
    runningwhilemommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is this your first time running? For starters I would get fitted for running shoes. The right shoes will make a huge difference. Second I would follow the couch to 5k running plan which you can find at coolrunnings.com or download it to your phone. Start out slow and be patient. Don't worry about speed or actual distance, just time. As for the joints, I am guessing it is because you are new to running. When I started everything hurt! It got better as my body got used to it in combination with the right shoes and a loss of 20 pounds. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but here is some info to start with: There is a difference between joint pain from "impact" (the foot hitting the ground) and just plain using your body in a way you haven't before. The latter is usually described as muscle pain (not a joint issue) and will resolve as you continue to do the activity - just take it slow. If it is an "impact" issue, here are some thoughts:

- The surface you are running (or walking) on makes a difference. Try to run on dirt or grass, not harder surfaces.

- Listen to your body on joint pain. If it hurts, cut the workout short.

- Start small and build up. As you lose weight and your body adjusts, you will be able to go longer.

- Supplement your workouts with low/no impact activities such as bike, treadmill, and swimming.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind is either your shoes aren't right for you or that you are not running with good form.

I would suggest taking a look at some youtube videos on running form and see if you can spot anything that you are not doing or are doing that can cause injury. If that isn't the case then time to go to a specialty store for running shoes to ensure you are getting the proper fit, they should be able to test how your foot hits the ground and comes off of it (turning in/out, where you hit heavy and where you lift your foot can affect the shoe you buy) and whether you have a high, regular or low arch or have flat feet which can also affect the shoes you need to wear, flat feed are more prone to injury from what I hear and have experienced (I have flat feet...).

If this is the most activity your legs have had in a long time that would be the only other reason I could see for the soreness is that they are getting sore from being really used for the first time in a long time.
  • jbonbright
    jbonbright Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great tips from runningwhilem and others.

I was in a similar situation as you - while I was very active up through my twenties, I hadn't run farther than a mile EVER until I started moderate distance running last year as part of my plan to get fit. Lots of things hurt - knees, ankles, feet, even my back. I started off with a "Ease into 5K" app on my Droid and it did an awesome job gently preparing me for running. At first, it had me running only about 15 seconds, then walking, but in ten weeks it has you running 30+ minutes without stopping. I couldn't imagine doing that when I first started out, but a few months later and twenty pounds lighter, I run three times a week, three miles (nonstop) each. It's still hard work at times but I went from 12 minute miles to about 9; so, for me, what used to be tough (12 min. miles) is now a pretty leisurely pace. As you get more fit, your heart rate will go down even as you run faster. And that's awesome to watch happen.

OK, so that covers a preparation app and weight, so that leaves shoes and technique. I would definitely recommend going to a running store, not an athletic shoe store at the mall. We have a wonderful place (owned by the Cucuzzella guy mentioned below) that will not only discuss the latest trends in shoes (e.g. zero or low drop running shoes, with minimal heels, that let your foot land more naturally than do traditional shoes with high, cushioned heels) but the best shops will even critique your running motion - gait, breathing, upper body posture, etc. So, that's my last suggestion - do some research on the web related to running technique. A real pioneer in this "new" running philosophy is a guy named Dr. Mark Cucuzzella. The guy gives running clinics and seminars all over the country. Google him and watch some of his videos on YouTube; he's got some great exercises that will improve your technique, which in turn will GREATLY reduce strain and stress on your joints. In particular, pay attention to his advice to always have your knee bent, not completely straight, as you "land" your forward foot. And stay off that heel! I'm very lucky - I'm even able to attend his monthly fitness clinics in the area and it's made a big difference for me.

One last thing - I found "Born to Run" a very inspirational book for a beginning runner like me; it made me reconnect with my love of running as a kid. I don't know about you, but from when I got home from school until I was called in for dinner, I'd be out in someone's yard running around, either playing football or soccer or tag. With our desk jobs and staring at computer screens all day long, it's amazing how far we've come since those days. And our bodies have paid the price.

One VERY last thing - I now use Runtastic to map my runs. It calculates the calories burned and uploads those automatically to MFP, subtracting those exercise calories from your net for the day. Nice. Runtastic also supports heart rate monitors, so you can track your heart rate against your pace/speed and see in real numbers how you're getting fit.

Anyway, this is way longer than I intended! Sorry. So, good luck to you - hope you grow to enjoy it eventually and that it becomes an integral party of your life as it has mine.