Feeling like its all for nothing !

Options
I stopped for awhile now i'm back at it but i'm getting discouraged !!! Any tips !!

SO.. Im 23 5' 3" Im overweight ( usually mid 270's...and so sick of it. I'm tired of it all. 3 months ago i got really into working out and eating right and i lost motivation because i lost people to go to the gym with ( i know.. stupid) Well im back at it again and im going to the gym im doing the planet fitness circuit then around 15-30 mins on the Elliptical ( depends on time). Ive been logging all meals and really couting calories.. i just feel like its doing nothing =( i need HELP and any tips !!!! Thanks so much !!!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do a reasonable deficit that you can sustain, log everything, take exercise calories with a grain of salt, and be patient.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I Am pretty good with staying within the calories MFP gave.. It just feels like a waste when im busting my @ss at the gym and nothing happens.. or ill loose 3 lbs and the next gain multiple pounds.. TY for your response
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary.

^^this ...people can't help if you don't provide all the information
  • totallytwisted08
    totallytwisted08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't get discourage, take it one day at a time... I have to keep telling myself that Rome wasn't built in a day :smile: :wink:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It takes patience.

On another note:

1) How often do you weigh in?
    2) Have you had blood tests done to rule out anything that affects your metabolism? (PCOS, Hypothyroidism, ect)
    3) Are you weighing your food on a kitchen scale?
    4) How high is your salt intake?
    5) Are you drinking enough water?
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    I didnt know it was private.. is it open now ?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I didnt know it was private.. is it open now ?

not yet.
    go into settings ---> diary settings, and set that to public.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    I weigh in 3x a week. Monday wed and fri just because one day ill be down 4 lbs then day after next ill be up that 4 plus =(
    I try not to eat anything crazy high in salt and i dont add salt to any of my food.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    It takes patience.

On another note:

1) How often do you weigh in?
    2) Have you had blood tests done to rule out anything that affects your metabolism? (PCOS, Hypothyroidism, ect)
    3) Are you weighing your food on a kitchen scale?
    4) How high is your salt intake?
    5) Are you drinking enough water?

Also i drink alot of water or lemon water sometimes i add strawberries. i dotn always log that though
  • vettech14
    vettech14 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have only been doing this for appx 6 weeks for so maybe less. I have a very limited workout that I can do because of drs. restrictions. The scale has only tipped 3 lbs, but I have lost 4 inches in total so far, so its not all for nothing. The scale doesn't always show it all. I sweat my azz off for 45 to 60 minutes three days a week and I was really depressed when I stepped on the scale. But then my trainer was like let me take measurements before you hang your head, because it was my last visit with her before I set out on my own. I was happier after she measured me and she told me anytime I wanted to stop by for her to do that she would be more than happy to redo my measurements for me. So don't always go by the scale.... Keep your head up and one foot in front of the other. In the end the hard work does pay off. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You need to be more consistent with your food diary. It seems like you have a lot of incomplete days and days that you did not log anything at all.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have also been told to not skip meals and eat every couple of hours. That is what it looks like you may do.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Going up and down is completely normal. It's the long term results that matter. For example, I've been losing between 1.3 and 1.4 pounds per week pretty consistently.

For example, I first hit 258.8 pounds three and a half weeks ago but I knew that was a "false low" because I had been slowly working my way down through the lower 260s and this was a significant overnight drop. Indeed, a couple days later I weighed 264.6 pounds.

Did I really gain almost 6 pounds in 48 hours? No, no more than I had shed four pounds overnight to get to 258. I was really, at that point, hovering around 261.

I weighed 258.0 this morning and I think it's a fair reflection of my current "real weight." I exercised hard today so I may hold an extra pound or two of water tomorrow but I'm aiming for seeing the high tenths of 256 later this week, not to say I've seen the last of the 260s. Our weight varies from day to day and throughout the day.

You must look at the long term trend. When I use the MFP reports function to see one week, it looks like a random zigzag, when I look at longer periods I see the consistent downhill slide.

1.3 to 1.4 pounds a week seems slow, especially when, like you, I've got a lot to shed, but that's a healthy rate and I am more likely to keep it off. And besides, if not now, when?
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I just looked at your diary for today and yesterday.

Have you considered eating clean? At least for awhile?

I was in the same boat you're in, no matter what I did, how little I ate, or how much I worked out, nothing seemed to make a difference.

When I gave up sugar and processed foods the weight started coming off - I'm down 50 lbs since March.

Instead of Slim Fast consider investing in a juicer and making your own fruit and vegetable juice for breakfast - it would be much more satisfying and healthy for you.

Dinner should be a small meal - lunch should have more calories than dinner.

And drink lots of water. I know the recommended is 8 - 8oz glasses of water but the bigger you are, the more water you need. I drink 6 - 32oz bottles of water a day. Water is the only thing I drink these days also.

Also get a good night's sleep every night - being up late or having a restless night's sleep is hard on the body and makes it hard to lose weight.

You can lose weight, just take it one step at a time, you'll get there.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thank you for opening your food diary! That really helps! I've felt that way too at times. Weight loss is frustrating! One thing I notice is that you have wildly low calories sometimes. I think you may not actually be eating enough to lose weight--on some days you're under the amount of calories your body needs just to function. Try looking at:
    --
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Also, I see a lot of shakes and processed foods in your diary. I know they can be inexpensive and convenient! However, it's possible that your body isn't getting enough basic nutrition. Many very heavy folks are actually carb-intolerant. Perhaps an Atkins or South Beach approach would support your body more. Some people have great success with Paleo. But I think very good quality (natural foods, not processed) nutrition and exercise that's comfortable for you would help you break through your plateau.

Good, good luck. We're all rooting for you!
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    I have only been doing this for appx 6 weeks for so maybe less. I have a very limited workout that I can do because of drs. restrictions. The scale has only tipped 3 lbs, but I have lost 4 inches in total so far, so its not all for nothing. The scale doesn't always show it all. I sweat my azz off for 45 to 60 minutes three days a week and I was really depressed when I stepped on the scale. But then my trainer was like let me take measurements before you hang your head, because it was my last visit with her before I set out on my own. I was happier after she measured me and she told me anytime I wanted to stop by for her to do that she would be more than happy to redo my measurements for me. So don't always go by the scale.... Keep your head up and one foot in front of the other. In the end the hard work does pay off. :)

Thanks !! ill try measuring myself too. Its just a huge let down when you look at the scale and your down then the next your back up..stupid scale lol.. but either way im going to stick with it.. thanks for your kind words
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    You need to be more consistent with your food diary. It seems like you have a lot of incomplete days and days that you did not log anything at all.

Yes im just getting back in the swing of everything. i try to log everything.. some days i have alot of extra calories because i really didnt eat much that day.. which i know isnt good.. just slowly making the lifestyle change
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    Going up and down is completely normal. It's the long term results that matter. For example, I've been losing between 1.3 and 1.4 pounds per week pretty consistently.

For example, I first hit 258.8 pounds three and a half weeks ago but I knew that was a "false low" because I had been slowly working my way down through the lower 260s and this was a significant overnight drop. Indeed, a couple days later I weighed 264.6 pounds.

Did I really gain almost 6 pounds in 48 hours? No, no more than I had shed four pounds overnight to get to 258. I was really, at that point, hovering around 261.

I weighed 258.0 this morning and I think it's a fair reflection of my current "real weight." I exercised hard today so I may hold an extra pound or two of water tomorrow but I'm aiming for seeing the high tenths of 256 later this week, not to say I've seen the last of the 260s. Our weight varies from day to day and throughout the day.

You must look at the long term trend. When I use the MFP reports function to see one week, it looks like a random zigzag, when I look at longer periods I see the consistent downhill slide.

1.3 to 1.4 pounds a week seems slow, especially when, like you, I've got a lot to shed, but that's a healthy rate and I am more likely to keep it off. And besides, if not now, when?

Thank you.. im going to stay with it. your right if not now then when.. It just has to be now =)
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Journaling is being proven to be a good weight loss tool in a giant research study right now. Just journal it - good or bad. It really does make a difference.

I would also consider upping your fruits/veggies. Just work one in here and there. Side salad with meals. Piece of fruit for a snack. Toss some in the spaghetti sauce. They are filling and generally low calorie.

Hang tough, you just may need to make a couple tweaks and then see what happens.