Scared of new gym get panic attacks

Options
I went to a new gym today thinking it would be empty I went 12 am at night it was packed. When I was in school I had a school psychologist who told me I have a problem with adapting to new surroundings. I started getting panic attacks I feel like cancelling my membership. I just felt so crap going into the gym I felt I was weak and puny. I know it's only a gym but I don't know why.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you pay for this membership? If so, then maybe you don't need to. You don't have to go to the gym to workout and stay in shape, if it makes you uncomfortable. If its free, you may want to try to get used to it. IDK. I don't go to the gym over the summer. I work out at home.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would use this as a stepping stone to work through this anxiety. Put your ear buds in and do in there and just do your thing. You arent there to impress or talk to anyone. You are doing this to better yourself. Dont just quit!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Work out at home???
  • memartinmsw
    Options
    I could have written this post! I absolutely have "gym phobia"...I had a few bad experiences in college - too crowded, not knowing the etiquette, feeling foolish, out of my comfort zone and it kept me from going to gyms for years. I finally found one that isn't too crowded but is very clean and nice, and although it's more expensive, I just cut back elsewhere because I know I won't go if I'm uncomfortable. I think gyms can be rather clique-ish...so in addition to feeling uncomfortable because of my weight, I can't stand clique-ish. I think what you're feelings are probably more normal than you think...what I've done is to work within my comfort zone and then grow slowly...
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike mostly outside but the gym is important for winter and rainy days. This is the way I look at it. I want everyone to see how overweight I am. I want them to get used to seeing me. When I lose the weight I want them to witness it. So when I go into the gym at 95 overweight, go ahead and look, go ahead and judge. When that one person says, "damn you lost a lot of weight" it will be worth it.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    I had this same problem. Like others have said; you don't HAVE to work out at the gym. What I did was start hyping myself up in a positive way instead of negative. Such as "I can do this, it's only the gym" Instead of "I know I'm going to panic,,etc". It really did help. Good luck.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Do you pay for this membership? If so, then maybe you don't need to. You don't have to go to the gym to workout and stay in shape, if it makes you uncomfortable. If its free, you may want to try to get used to it. IDK. I don't go to the gym over the summer. I work out at home.

I dont know why everyone was bigger than me LOL so i was feeling uncomfortable LOL
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I would use this as a stepping stone to work through this anxiety. Put your ear buds in and do in there and just do your thing. You arent there to impress or talk to anyone. You are doing this to better yourself. Dont just quit!

thats what i was thinking when i entered the gym I got a sudden attack I stayed in the gym. I felt like leaving but i stayed for a little longer. I pushed myself.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Work out at home???

I tried could not to many distractions at home LOL it took me ages to get settled in the gym beside my house. I cant go there because it closes at 9 and I am fasting and the fast opens 10.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have to kind of agree with this. I could tell you to workout at home, like some others have...but suspect you're here on MFP to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! You can totally do this...and you're a lot stronger than you think!

Good luck, and hang in there. I'm sure lots of people are scared when they start something new.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ASK for help... I know that might seem hard, especially since you've already expressed high anxiety, but call the gym, explain your new, and your nervous, and ask if they can arrange a free demonstration of all the equipment and then you can get a feel for the whole place with someone who knows it all.

Also, inquire if they have times when they aren't as busy as at midnight.

Hope this helps.

btw - midnight seems sooo late to me... I'm tired just thinking about working out that late LOL

Good luck
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I could have written this post! I absolutely have "gym phobia"...I had a few bad experiences in college - too crowded, not knowing the etiquette, feeling foolish, out of my comfort zone and it kept me from going to gyms for years. I finally found one that isn't too crowded but is very clean and nice, and although it's more expensive, I just cut back elsewhere because I know I won't go if I'm uncomfortable. I think gyms can be rather clique-ish...so in addition to feeling uncomfortable because of my weight, I can't stand clique-ish. I think what you're feelings are probably more normal than you think...what I've done is to work within my comfort zone and then grow slowly...

I feel the same exact way I could not describe you described it perfect.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I ride my bike mostly outside but the gym is important for winter and rainy days. This is the way I look at it. I want everyone to see how overweight I am. I want them to get used to seeing me. When I lose the weight I want them to witness it. So when I go into the gym at 95 overweight, go ahead and look, go ahead and judge. When that one person says, "damn you lost a lot of weight" it will be worth it.

I lost alot of people alot of people in the gym were complimenting me for loosing alot of weight. I felt good.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I went to a new gym today thinking it would be empty I went 12 am at night it was packed. When I was in school I had a school psychologist who told me I have a problem with adapting to new surroundings. I started getting panic attacks I feel like cancelling my membership. I just felt so crap going into the gym I felt I was weak and puny. I know it's only a gym but I don't know why.

Maybe ask the gym staff if there's a time during the day when there are a lot less people around. Good luck!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Everyone needs to start somewhere.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I had this same problem. Like others have said; you don't HAVE to work out at the gym. What I did was start hyping myself up in a positive way instead of negative. Such as "I can do this, it's only the gym" Instead of "I know I'm going to panic,,etc". It really did help. Good luck.

so positive thinking that a good idea
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I have to kind of agree with this. I could tell you to workout at home, like some others have...but suspect you're here on MFP to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! You can totally do this...and you're a lot stronger than you think!

Good luck, and hang in there. I'm sure lots of people are scared when they start something new.

thank you im 21 years old I felt like a idiot its only a gym. I dont know why I was feeling like this.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    ASK for help... I know that might seem hard, especially since you've already expressed high anxiety, but call the gym, explain your new, and your nervous, and ask if they can arrange a free demonstration of all the equipment and then you can get a feel for the whole place with someone who knows it all.

Also, inquire if they have times when they aren't as busy as at midnight.

Hope this helps.

btw - midnight seems sooo late to me... I'm tired just thinking about working out that late LOL

Good luck

I asked them if they were busy at night they said it is dead. I went 12 am night it was packed full LOL.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

Maybe ask the gym staff if there's a time during the day when there are a lot less people around. Good luck!

there was no gym staff to be seen. I can only workout this time because I am fasting for ramadan.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

thank you im 21 years old I felt like a idiot its only a gym. I dont know why I was feeling like this.
    Anxiety disorders are a real thing. Nobody CHOOSES to feel that way....but I bet you can work through it :drinker:

Don't be afraid to get therapy for it if you can. I have a family member who was extremely Agorphobic when she was younger (so much that she rarely left the house), and she went to threapy and is quite outgoing now!