Hubby traveling.... How do I keep from lonely eating?

Options
Hi all! My husband is traveling for work for a week starting tomorrow, and I'm terrified that I'll start eating like crazy at night after the kids are in bed. I've been doing so well in my first week, I don't want to lose my momentum. Any tips?

Replies

• kablooeee2u
    Options
    designate a bag of raw veggies as your comfort food...and eat them as you think of him.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just don't be alone at night.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My husband is also going away for 10 days and I am concerned about the same thing. Especially because he does most of the cooking. I am trying to line up fun things to do with friends and decided that I would tackle some house chores that will be easier with him not around. For example, cleaning out my closet of all the clothes that no longer fit! Perhaps you could do something similar. We can do it. Why spoil our hard work!
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When my husband is away for work or when we were long distance dating before marriage, I would use the time away to really work hard at my working out/eating well so that when I saw him again I could show him my progress. I guess it gave me fuel and time to really focus on myself. I have the tendency to eat worse when he's around though! He doesn't watch what he eats so he's always craving something....
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ..... decided that I would tackle some house chores that will be easier with him not around. For example, cleaning out my closet of all the clothes that no longer fit! Perhaps you could do something similar.

This. Or any light housework...nothing tiring. I just got done wiping the kitchen counters, washing a couple things I can't put in the dishwasher and cleaning the sink.

I also crochet or knit or make jewelry.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I love the cleaning idea! You could also workout-lots of great free ones you can do in your own home on Youtube!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Never heard of lonely eating, but I'd suggest getting a hobby during the time.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Mine's been away since May now.. will be back in August.

What I do is plan what I am allowed to eat, including night time snack that fits my calories. And then I keep busy. I dont have kids, so exercise exercise and oh more exercise.

My nighttime snacks are berries, veggies, popcorn, and frozen yoghurt.. though sometimes I am eating dinner so late that I dont have one :P
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    After 18 months of my husband working away, I joined him.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    nail art usually keeps my fingers off food :)
  • aliciafoer
    Options
    My hubby is very often gone for work or working long hours. I know those lonely pounds all too well. We moved to a new state only to have him gone all the time. I gained 14 of them and am now getting rid of them. The one thing I have learned is when I get the "I'm lonely so now I'm hungry" feeling is to get up and move from where you are. Go for a walk, a drive or to the gym. Just don't sit in front of the t.v. It makes that feeling much worse! For me, if I don't turn on the t.v. I have less of a tendency to overeat. So now, I'm catching up on all of the books I've been wanting to read! Good luck & stay busy.
  • deedee710
    deedee710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi

My husband travels alot too. I try to keep my hands busy with knitting, crocheting etc. so that I can't eat or I'll get my yarn messy.
    Brushing my teeth early helps too so that I won't eat.
    watch old movies
    Do your nails
    Read a book
    Now that your here surf through the boards and get inspired....
    you can add me as a frind if you like, my hubby is traveling next week maybe you can remind me what not to do lol

Dee
  • nwatrous
    nwatrous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tackle a project that keeps your hands busy. Scrub the kitchen, paint a bathroom, start a cross stitch. Bonus if it's something to surprise the hubs when he gets back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    I have not been in a relationship in over twenty years. I'm not sure I understand.

Just eat the same way you have been eating. Only by yourself.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Buy a huge container of Sabra hummus, and a large bag of carrot chips.

Clean the house

Go for a walk

Drink water

Retail therapy
  • Sumiro
    Sumiro Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone. R has been away two days now, and honestly I've been so tired at the end of the day (working and single parenting) that I just want to go to bed after I tuck the kids in. Sadly, no evenings out and about. I like the idea of having healthy snacks ready to eat if I get the nighttime munchies, and keeping a project going for distraction. Sitting and watching tv are eating triggers for me, and since I can't leave the house, it's gotta be either go to bed or get busy. ( I'll do both when R gets home *wink*).