Is it too late to eat?

Options
I worked a lot later then I usually do. I always try not eat past 10:00, and it's almost 11:30. My tummy is rumbling and I have eaten less then 800 calories today (my set calories per day is about 1,600) It was a long, busy day at work and I never found time to sit down and eat.
Should I be naughty and eat a little something?
Or stick it out until morning?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding night time eating?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think if you consider eating when you're hungry when you've had 800 calories today to be "naughty" (just because of the time of day), you may wish to rethink your relationship with food.

Yes, eat something. It's not naughty.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calories for the day, eat something. Eating late won't hurt you, slow your metabolism or turn into fat while you sleep. It's not naughty, its responsible (particularly if you are that far under your calories). My schedule is extremely hectic, and I often don't have time to eat until just before bed. It hasn't hurt me in the slightest or stopped me from losing weight.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    eat something light...not heavy. fruit? carrot sticks?
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    If you're hungry, definitely eat something!
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    eating fish and potato wedges at 11:30 pm myself :)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Due to my work hours, I usually eat breakfast at 1, lunch at 7, and dinner at 1AM. It really doesn't make a difference. Eat something!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Anytime is a good time to eat. Sometimes I eat in the middle of the night and I still lose weight. Just stick within your calorie goals and you will be fine. Find out about the TDEE so you can know how much you can eat and still lose weight :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • bisquickshawl
    bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    I was always told that if you eat within two hours of going to sleep all the calories consumed will go unburned and be stored as fat. I weighed myself today and have lost 4 pounds in about a week and I would hate to see any of it back!
    I'm just being paranoid :)
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat all my meals after 8pm now because it's Ramadan. At school, I'm so busy I nibble constantly between 7am and 1am. I am far from fat. You should visit a nutritionist or read some good information about weight loss to avoid falling into all the misinformation as you start out on your journey. ^_^
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Naughty?! :huh: I would consider it naughty to not treat your body right and go to bed hungry. Throw out the ridiculous rules about when to eat and the idea that treating your body right is naughty.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Its NEVER too late to eat if youre hungry.. Most nights i eat right up until i crawl under my covers. Hasnt hurt my weight loss, muscle gain or anything, that i know of...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Huh? I might have a bowl of cereal with milk. ice cream and a pop tart if any are left.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry then YES! Listen to your body. Even if it's just something small.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make a healthy choice - - but if you're hungry eat. I wouldn't pig out, but somthing light and healthy will never go amiss!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    EAT! I just finished a PB&J sandwich, my usual late night snack, at 11:30 pm. What you've heard about eating late is sensationalist bull$h!t. Your body is alive and working 24 hours a day, and can process and digest food even while you're sleeping. You're sleeping, not dead.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What's the rational and healthy thing to do? Go to bed hungry and miserable of course
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You should always PLAN to have a bedtime snack.
  • MissLiss1979
    MissLiss1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was "bad" to eat after 8 or 9pm..and then I would have a hard time falling asleep.
    In order to keep up with my healthy lifestyle, I always have a late night snack.
    Eating Ricecake Thins with PB2 right now. :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My body won't let me sleep if I try and go to bed when my stomach is crying out for food.

Have a piece of toast with peanut butter if you don't want something heavy.