18 months, finally adding pics, lots

I started my journey at the end of February 2012. I am a police officer and as such I am also a use of force and firearms instructor. I had almost everything I wanted out of my career except SWAT. I decided I was standing in my own way and to stop doing so.

An officer in a neighboring town was shot on December 19 2011, that day I was home with my daughter and was glued to the news feeds all day long. I remember sitting and watching my friends and coworkers hunkered down behind the armored vehicle in an 8 hour SWAT operation and thinking to myself that I should be there. I felt I owed it to them, to myself, and to my community to be there with them and decided to get moving.

I started running and attempting various basic fitness movements to prepare for the PT test which was the first mountain to climb but my nutrition was the missing link. I thought I was doing okay but I didn't know because I wasn't tracking anything.

Then I got turned onto MFP and things really took off. I started at 254 pounds and currently am around 205 after being as low as 199. I have since qualified for SWAT and in the last year since then have further improved my PFT scores until I was the fastest cop on our 1.5 mile run with a 10:40, 2nd overall behind one of our medics who runs marathons. I went from assisted pull-ups to sets of 9 or 10, and discovered heavy lifting in the process. I am in love with fitness and could not be more excited about the new life style I have adopted. My wife has also bit the hook and is down below her pre-pregnancy weight @ 104 and is stronger than me by percentage of bodyweight on some of our lifts (Can't believe I admitted that but I am damn proud of her).

Prior to starting MFP:
407211284.jpg

8/3/12 @213 pounds:
407211201.jpg

7/1/13 @204 pounds:
407211202.jpg

This is my wife and I at that Officer's funeral as we got out of my squad at the cemetery I took a moment to hug her as we had both been crying in the car during the procession. It was on the front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune website, and the paper I think:
400414494.jpg

Another favorite picture from the funeral procession, just a random local kid holding a flag on a hill top, saluting the procession as we left the church:
400426633.jpg

Replies

• CoffeeLush
    CoffeeLush Posts: 46 Member
    Wow! You look great. Thanks for sharing your story.

(And goodness, I might have to fan myself after looking at the towel photo!)
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Wow! fantastic! although a very sad story, you should be very proud of yourself.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    I love the giant grin on your face in your cut pic. Fantastic work, officer!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Nice job!

The picture of the kid with the flag is priceless :heart:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    wow - excellent results! and thank you for doing what you do to make the world a safer place.:flowerforyou:
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Well done - you look fantastic :)
  • Great job man! How tall are you and can you talk about your daily workout and nutrition plan?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    :smokin: smoking hot!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Umm, wow! You look about 19 now!!!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    When they say police officers are looking younger every day I think they just mean you! Well done on reaching your career and fitness goals
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    It's amazing what the body can do when your mind is in the game. Congrats on your progress and success. Well done!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Great transformation! Congrats on qualifying for SWAT.
  • you look like a totally different person! a TOTAL transformation. TY for sharing, and if I didnt say so: YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!!!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    You look great! My husband used to be a police officer so I know what a tough job you do, well done!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    You look fantastic! and congrats to both you and your wife for achieving so much! :) You have a beautiful family!
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Congratulations to both you and your wife! AND thank you for your service. =]
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Well done! I love stories of people setting goals and doing everything to attain them. Very inspiring. And your wife sounds pretty impressive too!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Stellar job! You two are hot!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Congrats on your success - May I ask, how tall are you?
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    great job bro, that is some serious difference even from 213 to 204 lbs
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!