NIGHT NURSES: What's your secret?

Options
gtpjamie1
gtpjamie1 Posts: 35 Member
Hi I'm Jamie and I'm joining MFP for the 2nd time. Last summer I started and had success, I lost 21lbs in just a couple of months! I have gained it all back and then a couple:-( I want to stay focused and I am motivated to lose weight and become healthier.

I am a married mother of 3 beautiful kids. My husband is blessed with a high metabolism although that doesn't make hime healthy, it just means he can eat garbage and not gain weight!
I just finished my bachelor's degree and I'm going to grad school in the fall. I currently work as a nurse on the NIGHT SHIFT and I'm having trouble with my eating habits a night and the next day. I have gained the majority of my weight in the past 3 years(since I started the night shift and school full time). I am actually heavier than I was when I delivered my 3rd child, sad huh?
5FT. 8IN.
CW: 207
GW: 150
LW: 138
I'm curious for anyone who may work nights, do you have a secret?

Replies

• meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Im a midwife and often work irregular hours with lots of late nights. It's so hard not to eat crap all night or in the morning. In fact, there have been several recent studies that show when you're sleep deprived or doing shift work your insulin levels are that of a type 2 diabetic (until you recover and rest). This explains the carb/sugar cravings. I find that getting outside for some exercise is essential to nipping the cravings in the bud and packing healthy snacks (chicken drumsticks, nori, avocados) in my birth bag helps. I also drink a ton of herbal tea during the nights.
  • SophieB99
    SophieB99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, but I'd love to hear what other people have to add! I just graduated nursing school and worked night shift for my senior preceptorship and hope to work nights when I get hired (yes I'm one of those crazies who actually prefer it! Haha). When I started I didn't allow myself to eat anything overnight, but after a while I caved since there were always sweets and things available. Didn't help my weight loss efforts one bit :(

I've also heard that about insulin levels, interesting stuff! Will definitely have to investigate that further.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm a night nurse as well! I worked ER for the last year and I just moved back to ICU, and will still be on nights. I can tell you what I do and what some other girls I work with do (the ones who actually care about their health and don't order pizzas EVERY SINGLE NIGHT)

I usually pack an ENTIRE day worth of meals (and go ahead and log them into MFP b/c I won't have time to later...) including breakfast/lunch/dinner and 2 snacks. This is obviously more difficult if you work in an area where they are strict about no food @ nursing stations...but you can still run into the break room and scarf something down real quick. And I ONLY allow myself to eat what I've brought. NO EXCEPTIONS. period. end of story. That's how I stay on track at work and it's actually pretty easy when you think of it like that. It's hard to say no to all the goodies people bring/order since there's nothing open but really terrible food at night. But when I tell myself- tough *kitten*, you brought your food so you will eat it and only it. Then I go about my day and don't worry about the rest. When I get home I don't let myself eat anything since I've already used up all of my cals and I just go right to sleep and wake up a little early and try to do a little workout- treadmill, HIIT etc. shower get ready pack lunch and do it again. On the days where I'm transitioning to days again, I usually try to wake up early so I can sleep again that night and flip back to normal, and I'll just eat as if it were a normal day (if I wake up @ 3 I'll eat something small then eat normal dinner and go to sleep at a "normal" time then wake up the next day and boom it's a normal day again.) you just have to be creative and figure out what works for you.

Other people I know will eat only @ home and not let themselves eat @ work (which I think is crazy b/c I'm pretty sure I burn a million calories in the ER or ICU... and I couldn't make it through 12 hours of not eating.) And a lot of people I know barely sleep and they wake up like early in the day and do stuff then go to work and sleep for like 2-3 hours-these people have children and I know that I'm lucky that I don't so I can stay a little more focused and get more sleep. These people just eat during day time hours and snack healthy during the shift.

Hope this helps :)
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    I assume you're talking about working overnight, if so it's always nice to know a fellow vampire lol. I was really serious about my fitness until about 2010 when I started working the overnight shift. I quickly gained 35 lbs and never thought twice about it. I started working out again about 2 months ago and got serious with this MFP app in early July and I must say it has made a world of difference.

My approach is threefold; Staying at or slightly under my 1880 cal daily goal ( Never under 1200 though), doing cardio 6 days a week and full body weight training for 3 days and lastly making sure I get 7-8 hrs of sleep. The MFP has helped me see exactly what I am putting in my body and its made it easier for me to keep each of my meals in the 350-500 cal range and snacks at 200-300 total. I gave up soda and any drinks that have calories in them which allows me to eat more food. Since I'm on a different work schedule I use my app a bit differently then those who work normal hrs. On a work night I wake up around 7-8pm. I make my protein shake (350-400 cal because of added fruit). I drink half before workout and the other half after I'm done, so the last entry in my diary for each calendar day is logged as dinner even though it's actually breakfast. By the time I get to work at 10pm I'm still full from my shake. We eat lunch sometime between midnight and 12:30 and this meal is logged in as lunch for the start of the next 24hr day. Then between 4:00-4:30a like clockwork I'm ready for a snack, usually about 24 almonds or a couple of rice cakes. Then when I get home and settled around 7:30a I eat breakfast food even though it's my second meal in that 24hr period. After that I might have another snack around 9a and I'm asleep by 10:30-11a. Then I wake up around 7-8pm, make my shake...well I said that already lol.

Things get complicated on my off days. I still stay under 1880 cals, but being single with no kids means I try to have a little bit of a social life. I try to keep the times I eat as structured as possible on those days, but it's hard. One thing I don't compromise with is what I eat. Just because I'm awake at 5pm on an off day hanging out at happy hr with my friends doesn't mean I have to eat and drink the same things they do. I eat grilled chicken and veggies in restaurants and if they don't have brown rice (they never do) I skip carbs when I eat out.

As far as my diet goes I still eat great tasting foods but I make sure they are nutrient dense and I don't fry anything. Skinless chicken breast, ground chicken breast patties (LOVE THESE!!!), talapia, salmon, lean pork loin, ground turkey, egg whites and egg beaters for breakfast. Whole grains like steel oats, 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and pasta and lots of veggies. My snacks consist of rice cakes with about a teaspoon of peanut butter, almonds, or a handful of craisins, but be careful with craisins and raisins because a 1/4 of a cup are over 100 calories. I also have a cheat meal on Sundays just to keep my sanity, but even then at the end of 24 hrs I make sure I am at or close to 1880 cal. Before I got serious with the app I got down to 220lbs from 232 and since I've started using it every day it feels like weight has been melting off! My weigh in is next week so I'll see what's going on then.

Just do whatever you need to do to stay at a caloric deficit. You actually don't need to eat lean meat and whole grains because as long as you stay at a caloric deficit you will lose weight, but it is much easier to keep low cal, high nutrient foods in your meal plan. I know it can be hard with kids and a family, but you're gonna have to show the strength you have inside and keep your foot down. Just because your hubby eats burgers and pizza doesn't mean you have to and tbh working overnight can be advantageous in your desire to eat better. You're eating at work when everyone else you love is sleeping at home. You can do it!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm a paramedic, not a nurse, but I work 24 hour shifts. I pack 3 meals and snacks to take to work. I also work in a couple of Hershey's dark chocolate with almonds nuggets. My partner always brings sweets and junk food so I try to pack food that will help me with the cravings when I see him eatings chips and such. It makes it much easier to turn down his offers of snacks
  • ERBred
    ERBred Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work a rotating schedule in the ED. So, that means going from nights to days to middle shift. Temptation is everywhere my friend. Hard to sit for a good meal while at work. What I have taken to is packing a protein shake mix that I scarf down when I remember....I try to mix it with unsweetened coconut milk and add a dash of pumpkin pie spice. Yum. Gives me about 27gm of protein and fills me up. I also have a couple of low sodium V-8 juices I keep on hand for savory snack. Now and then I also keep a ziplock bag of Trader Joe's Olive oil popcorn for the crunch fix. Don't take that all the time, but helps. Now at home I eat a regular meal with my husband....be it lunch or dinner. I am just better at measuring my portion than I was before. It really has made a difference. I am down 20lbs total/ 11lbs after starting MFP. The others at work are so impressed, they are starting the same....makes it much easier.
  • nirebelldandy
    Options
    I'm a 911 dispatcher with 12 hour rotating day/night shifts. I log all food in 24 hour cycles so it is easier to keep track of. I only eat what I bring to work, but I do keep healthy snacks like popcorn, cheerios and applesauce at work just in case. My shift eats out on nearly every shift so I have to be careful not to get sucked into their fast food! I find that I eat way less calories when I am working night shifts, so I make sure I have several snacks between 12am and 6am while still at work, otherwise I'd barely eat for that 24 hour period.

But I always leave room for coffee. Always. :)
  • t4eaed
    t4eaed Posts: 25
    Options
    I am a nurse who used to work night shift years ago. Believe it or not I was actually at one of my lower weights when on night shift, but it didn't start out that way. There was definitely an adjustment period! It is a tough shift to be on because it almost feels like you are up all day and all night!

Here is what my eating schedule used to be:

I would pack a light lunch, say 300 calories or so to eat at around 2-3 am (usually a sandwich and yogurt or soup). For my 'dinner' actually breakfast around 8-9 am I would have a high protein meal usually eggs, turkey sausage or bacon, and whole grain muffin or toast along with fresh fruit. After that meal I would sleep for about 5 or 6 hours. I would have a snack around 2-3 pm and then try to hit the gym or get some type of workout in. I would then eat dinner with the family around 6-7 pm.

You will have to sit down and pinpoint the times that you seem to get hungry and make some type of schedule.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I also pack my lunch before going to work. MFP helped me with portion control. Now I know which foods are calorie dense and weigh and measure my food before going in. I eat a large meal before I leave for work and log my calories for the day on mfp. I am usually very busy and don't get a break until about 11:30 at night. Then at midnight or after, I start eating again, usually an apple and a 1/4 cup of almonds. My next large meal is at 0200 in the a.m. I try not to eat when I get home, but, of course, it is impossible. Lately I have been eating cottage cheese and a few crackers which I carefully count. When I work 2 nights in a row, it is tough to get all of the calories in and there is no way that I have any time to work out. I try to eat a protein bar with a glass of skim milk in addition to a large meal ( all within my calorie limit). I actually pack more than I think that I am going to eat because not sure what I'll be in the mood to eat. Usually pack strawberries and blueberries, a vegetable, a cup of cherry tomatoes, a small roll, 3 oz of turkey, beef, or fish, and of course, an apple and nuts.
    On the nights that I don't work I meet with a personal trainer for a 1/2 hour and afterward do about an hour of cardio. I measure calories burned per heart monitor (The machines always lie, especially the treadmill, which overestimates by about 100 calories.) and add those to my daily allowance. I try to eat most of those calories back, and usually leave about 200-300 calories on the table. I am not perfect by any means, but do the best that I can and try to learn from my mistakes. And I am done with diets--it is all portion control. I refuse to give up any foods! My dieting days are over!!!!!!!
    I am a huge coffee drinker but drinking water is soooooo important. It is a struggle to get the minimum of 8 glasses per water per day, but I am getting better at it.
    My problems, initially, are hypothyroidism, being over 40 years old, and working the night shift--so my cortisol levels are pretty high. I have worked the night shift for almost 15 years. I had 2 different physicians tell me to lose 30 pounds of weight (they both came up with the same number, to my astonishment!)
    I never thought that I could ever lose the weight, and yet, here I am at 28 pounds lost after joining mfp. ( 7 months). 40 pounds after adding a personal trainer to my regimen (18 months).
    If I can do it, so can you.
    I will help support you, if you like.:smile:
    Sorry that this is such a lengthy reply but you asked.
  • MissLiss1979
    MissLiss1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is an extremely helpful thread. I am a third year student midwife, and Ive gained 25 lbs over the last three years due to my crazy schedule. Ive found that I eat the worst when I am doing my 24 hr OBS shifts and 12 hr overnite L&D nursing shifts. Thank you for all the tips, this is exactly what I was looking for!! :smile:
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey there :):) I am an RPN and I work shift work (2 weeks days and 2 weeks nights) all 12 hour shifts. When I am on nights I do what some of the previous girls have suggested already. I prepare my lunch before work - sometimes I even over-pack and what I don't eat I bring home. I also try to log everything into my diary before work.

Also - I don't know about you girls - but I'm lazy as hell when I work nights... I don't feel like cooking or cleaning... hahaha thats just how my body is.
    Usually when I buy my meats in bulk I separate them in bags in the freezer - when I work midnights I tend to just cook it all - and I make extra veggies and whatnot so I have my meals ready in the fridge to take to work over the course of the next few days. If I work 3 nights in a row, the day before I make up extra food to grab and go :) this way I dont get that feeling of "uuhg I'm too tired to cook, lets just gab something on the way to work" It helps to make all your meals into tupperwares for all the shifts - same with your snacks.

A lot f the girls at my hospital(patients as well) bring in stuff or give us food as thankyou gifts Ie. a box of chocolates or chips - you simply just have to say no sometimes :)

Also they say to not eat your "heavy" meals after midnight because your metabolism naturally wants to slow down - so this is genreally my eating schedule :

1. wake up around 2-3 eat a good balanced breakfast - high in protein and a good amount of carbs to keep me full and awake me up(eggs, toast, turkey bacon or oatmeal, fruit you can combine some of the things)
    2. I always try to get a protein smoothie in a day so I mix my smoothie (or could be in your case a regular lunch) and eat that around suppertime 530-6pm.
    3. have a good snack somewhere around 830-9pm at night
    4. eat my pre-made "suppers" around 1130-12pm

the rest of the night I eat my snacks throughout. Grazing on my healthier snacks (greek yogurt, cucumber, granola/protein bars, fruit) seem to help me. I also try to eat something around 6am (somerhing very small!!!) after our morning rounds, otherwise I will wake up early hungry and not get a good rest.

Most importantly remember to get a good sleep!!!!!!! Keep your room dark - and tell people to ssshhh hahaha... because when your sleep deprived your body wants to compensate food for energy!!!!

Also - I try to exercise at home on my days I work even if its something like lifting dumbbells, or a work out dvd - BUT dont overdo it, and if you are truely exhausted from shift work don't force yourself to do it - conserve your energy.

Sorry for the novel lol... but I hope this helps - and seriously if you can prep your big meals a few days in advance do it up, it may make your kitchen time lengthy the day before but it helps when you are pressed for time and energy :)

Ps. Dont ever let someone tell you to stop drinking coffee hahaha its just what you put in it that makes it bad.
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BTW..... Nurses friggin ROCK!!! Props to my fellow nurses!!!!

Credit for those of us that are awake while the world sleeps.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • juul76
    juul76 Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't do regular night shifts so not sure whether this would affect my weight, but being a midwife I do work some nights. I don't tend to eat much during the night. I might have a piece of toast and hot drink but otherwise I have breakfast when I get back home, go to sleep and when I wake up some lunch and later dinner with the family. I just find it hard to get any energy at all to go to do exercise but just hope being up walking around a lot is burning the calories instead... Not that I would have time to do any doing nights...
  • sjda123
    sjda123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, you could be writing my story!!! I'm in the same boat - night nurse, in school, eating all over the place, heavier than when I was pregnant and basically miserable and wanting to make a change. From what I have been reading elsewhere it's important to pack low-carb snacks and to keep to a schedule - but I normally am so busy and don't particularly feel like eating.

Feel free to add me - would love some other night-owls for support.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I did the night shift deal for close to 6 months. It is extremely difficult to lose weight when working those crazy hours. I know if you are able to not eat to stay awake you will be fine!!! Earlier in my career I lost 40lbs by working nights. I had a schedule and did not eat out of that schedule good luck!!!
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I worked a lot of night shifts when I was a midwife and never had a real problem with eating. If I was due in on a night I would tend to have my dinner late that evening and then just drink herbal teas and water while at work. When I got home the next morning I would eat breakfast before going to bed, have a light lunch on waking and a late dinner before work again....

I found I actually ate better on nights than on day shifts when I would always have my fingers in the cookie jar and chocolate tins haha

I know some people get really hungry on nights though. There were people I worked with heating curries and all kinds up in the microwave at insane times of the night and early hours. My stomach just couldn't handle food at those weird times. If you have to eat just make it light and healthy... salads, nuts, fruit, a bit of toast. Try some herbal tea as well, it tends to curb your appetite a little :smile:
  • gtpjamie1
    gtpjamie1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Your post helped quite a bit! I like your attitude "tough **** thats what you brought thats what your eating". Your comment about ordering pizzas and all the sweet crap people bring in all the time is right on target. I can't believe how much mindless eating can be done at work and all the useless parties people throw just to eat!! Ugh its so frustrating. Thanks!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I worked nights myself for a few years on an inpatient transplant unit, so I know how it can be difficult to get the time to even pee, let alone sit down and eat a yummy, healthy meal!

I really like what everyone has been saying so far. Bring lots of food, and pre-log it! I would view my calorie intake in 24-hr increments, so from like 7p-7p or similar. Being awake all night definitely messes with the insulin levels, so I think the very best thing you can do for your body is to cut out processed carbs and processed sugars completely, because you're already at a disadvantage! I've recently cut all my processed carbs/sugars and I'm losing faster than I ever have before, and I still get to eat plenty of fruits and veggies.

I think things like cashews, walnuts, almonds, hard-boiled eggs, cheese sticks, protein shakes, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, a chicken breast mashed up with an avocado, grapes, oranges, bananas, berries, etc would be really good things to throw in your lunch box! They are all relatively easy/fast to eat, and have a low glycemic index, so they won't send you on a high-low rollercoaster of sugar and carb cravings throughout the night!

Oh, and another trick I love doing is leaving my money either at home or locked in my trunk, that way I HAVE to eat what I brought or go hungry (and letting my coworkers know ahead of time NOT to buy me naughty things haha.)

Best of luck, you got this!

Oo! Editing to add- about the sweets and other stuff people always bring in to share- I was terrible at going to town on that stuff, but it's much easier to avoid when I'm already full! I think that's where making sure to bring enough nice, filling food is sooo helpful.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to THANK all of you medical professionals who work nights. Twice now I've had to bring in my son to the ER in the middle of the night. I cannot tell you how grateful I was to have qualified, intelligent, alert, kind people there waiting at the Children's Hospital (Madison, WI) to help him. I'm a teacher myself, and I know that people who work so hard in the helping professions could use a little thanking every now and then. You help people. Every day. And at some cost to yourself, particularly if you work nights. THANK YOU!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!