High Fructose Corn Syrup

bigdawg62
bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
If your like me you have spent the past 25 years in a yo-yo battle with obesity. Its not for lack of trying, I have put a lot of effort into trying new diets and lots and lots of excersise. Over the past 3 years I have run 4 full marathons so I think that should tell you that my excersise levels are above normal. In spite of all this I have continued to have a serious problem with gaining weight and with my energy levels in general. About 2 months ago I discovered something which I'm now sure is one of the main culprits of my obesity problem and that is consuming foods/drinks that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. This poison is in almost every processed food. I eliminated it from my diet 7 weeks ago and I dropped 13 pounds very quickly and feel great doing it. I am now reading the label of everything I buy. Watch this video, its one hour long but it is the best I have seen and the presenter is a very highly respected expert Dr in this field.

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/video/aletho-news/sugar-bitter-truth

This could change your life, I know its changed mine.

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Yeah, I avoide HFCS like the plague. There's no reason for it, especially when you have other choices. Why get the applesauce with HFCS and other crap in it when I can buy apples and make my own applesauce with just a teeny bit of cinnamon and sugar? Or even with just apples. It doesn't make sense.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    yes, you are so on target here. too bad ConAgra and other lobbyists wil fight back with their spin commercials...
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Yeah, I love the commercial that says that it's OK in moderation. Well, yeah, it probably is. The problem is the "in moderation" part. Like the OP said, it's in so many foods now that it's almost impossible to eat it in moderation on the typical American diet. I recently spent quite a long time in the bread aisle trying to find a decent whole wheat bread without it. I finally gave up in frustration. I, too, have managed to eliminate most HFCS from my diet, but it really limits what you can eat if you don't want to make it from scratch. Sheesh........:grumble:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    NO HFCS in my house!!! MSG either.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    I was AMAZED and very disappointed this morning when I saw the 2nd ingredient in my applesauce was HFCS! Too bad since I love it so much...time to start making my own! Does anyone have a good recipe?
  • stormieweather
    THere is all natural applesauce you can buy. Just check the ingredient label :)
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Fortunately for us some of the big food companies are starting to take notice of the NO HFCS movement and removing it from foods. I used to have to buy "Organic" Ketchup to get no HFCS but now Hunts has removed it from their recipe and uses sugar instead. There are also more whole grain beads made with brown sugar instead of HFCS. I specifically check the labels now when I'm at the store in an effort to avoid as much HFCS as possibile. Hell, even Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback sales show people prefer sugar to that lab created crap.
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    I was shocked when I looked at the ingredients on my bread crumbs and they HFCS. I thought BREAD doesnt have HFCS. Made me sooooo mad until I looked on my whole wheat bread....sure enough HFCS was one of the ingredients! WOW!! So the next time I went to the store I found bread with none....Nature's Own was the only brand I saw without it.
  • stormieweather
    Yes Melora :). That's the ONLY brand I buy now. Luckily, they have a great selection of whole grains, buns, raisin bread, and thins.
  • Soy is just as bad and it destroys Thyroid function. It is in nearly everything too.
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Yep, only buy Nature's Own as well, no HFCS and tastes awesome!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I avoid this stuff as well, and I don't miss it! As long as I stick to my food plan and my exercise, my weight is coming off much easier than I expected, and I think a big part of that is the fact that I've eliminated most HFCS and processed foods from my diet. I'm not perfect, but the processed food I do eat is mostly limited to bread/wraps and dairy.
    I was AMAZED and very disappointed this morning when I saw the 2nd ingredient in my applesauce was HFCS! Too bad since I love it so much...time to start making my own! Does anyone have a good recipe?

Look for the no-sugar-added applesauce. My local grocery store carries a store-brand that's just water and apples - and it's only $1.25 for a 50 oz. jar!
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Just go buy some apples, cut them up, peel them (if you want) steam them until they're soft, and use either a food processor or a blender and mix them up until smooth. I also add a bit of cinnamon and a tiny bit of natural sugar, and it's awesome.
  • Just go buy some apples, cut them up, peel them (if you want) steam them until they're soft, and use either a food processor or a blender and mix them up until smooth. I also add a bit of cinnamon and a tiny bit of natural sugar, and it's awesome.

rockinmomto3: steam on the stove or in the microwave?

I've always done it this way, which is super quick: quarter, de-seed, (and yes, peeling is totally optional, in fact it's probably more nutritious if you don't peel them) then cut into bite sized pieces. Use a mix of apples for better flavor and color (golden delicious, granny smiths, and macintosh all together taste great). Put in a microwave safe bowl with a little water, a little pinch of salt, and a good shake or two of apple pie spice, and microwave, stirring often. When they're cooked, but not complete mush, take out your old potato masher and work out your frustrations. :) Sample to goods and add more spice/sweeten to taste with a sweetener of your choice. If you like it smooth, whip out the food processor or blender as rockinmomto3 suggested.

If you make a whole bunch at once, you can freeze apple sauce just fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I stopped eating anything with HFCS two years ago. I have a very high sctivity level. It didn't affect my weight.

My guess is you were taking in fewer calories when you stopped eating it. That generally happens when people cut something out of their diet. Then they think they lost weight because they cut that thing out, but really they just ate fewer calories.

You can run marathons and be in physical shape and still easily eat too much. I know more than one marathoner who gains weight because of that.

I'm all for cutting out the HFCS, but I don't think it's the miracle weight cure, either.
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    After reading this and watching the video I went looking in my kitchen EVERYTHING has HFCS in it!Even the so called heathy stuff.Great!! So I found a website that has a list of HFCS FREE FOODS~thought I would share.THANKS FOR THE POSTING !

http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html
  • Use a mix of apples for better flavor and color (golden delicious, granny smiths, and macintosh all together taste great).

Since apples are high on the 'Dirty Dozen' list of fruits and veggies with the most pesticide residues, its a VERY good idea to buy organic apples. If you can not locate/afford organics, wash conventional apples well and peel them to reduce the pesticides as much as possible. Homemade applesauce is much less expensive than store-bought and it eliminates the need for all those little plastic cups/jars!

But back to the main topic: HFCS is frustrating and so hard to avoid! When i am eating healthier foods, i tend to take in less HFCS just by the nature of my diet: more fresh fruits and veggies, organic dairy, etc, When i fall off the wagon HARD (as i am known to do every now and then) i suck up HFCS and junk food like its nobody's business LOL.

Thanks for the link to the shopping list... gonna go check that out now....
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Thanks for sharing the link. Over this year I have eliminated most of the HFCS in our house. Not everything is gone yet but my goal for next year is to completely get rid of it from the house. I may have to settle for at least me not eating it since my husband won't follow it as strictly as I do, slowly I will convert him :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Yeah, I love the commercial that says that it's OK in moderation. Well, yeah, it probably is. The problem is the "in moderation" part. Like the OP said, it's in so many foods now that it's almost impossible to eat it in moderation on the typical American diet. I recently spent quite a long time in the bread aisle trying to find a decent whole wheat bread without it. I finally gave up in frustration. I, too, have managed to eliminate most HFCS from my diet, but it really limits what you can eat if you don't want to make it from scratch. Sheesh........:grumble:

sara lee has a no high fructose corn syrup bread. i believe it is the one that has lime green writing on the bag.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    I didnt take in fewer calories when I stopped eating HFCS, I just ate the same ammount of calories but No HFCS. Its all about how your body metabolises HFCS. The majority of HFCS gets turned into fat.
This discussion has been closed.