Protein shakes - Bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Assuming that he is partaking in cardio daily since he is trying to lose weight I would say that they're actually good for you. When performing long bouts of cardio without strength training there is potential for muscle mass to be lost along with body fat. Keeping your protein intake adequate while losing weight is essential to prevent drastic muscle loss. It will not make him gain weight (assuming that he's using a clean protein powder that doesn't contain high levels of sugar and other additives- I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Used it the entire time I was in a weight loss phase, lost 32 pounds) and accurately recording his calories/macros and staying within his limits. I'm actually in a cutting phase now and I am using protein, creatine, and BCCA's and I can tell you I'm definitely not gaining weight.

I find it strange that a protein powder would say that you shouldn't use it while trying to lose weight. If it actually does say that I would recommend finding a better protein powder.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Zero Carb Isopure - 25 grams of protein, 105 calories a scoop. (What I use)

Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass - 25 grams of protein 625 calories a scoop. (What people trying to get big might use)

So, check the label.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    It's perfect if your using it to replace a meal (in which I would recommend a meal replacement shake more, BodyKey is best)
    However, if you're doing heavy workouts you need a lot of calories, even if your loosing weight. Protein shakes would be fine in that case.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My protein powder says "Use product as a food supplement only.Do not use for weight reduction."

I take that to mean not to use it as a meal replacement or to only consume protein shakes all day and nothing else. It isn't slimfast, just protein.

Also, I agree with the pp who said that your calorie count seems off. My protein powder is 93 cal/scoop (20g protein) and if I added a cup of skim milk (8 oz), I would already be over 150. I would still consume the protein shakes (on days I need added protein) but definitely double check the calorie count.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are best taken before or after a workout, not necessarily as a "meal replacement". You have to be conscious of the supplement facts, read the labels.

Many that look "good" for you (lean body) for example look okay but check out the sodium! sure its low in calories and decent # of grams of protein but look at how high the sodium.

Take note of the serving size - is it one scoop or two?
    How many grams of protein (for me 20-25g is more than enough but in one scoop)
    What is the fat content. many that taste good (muscle milk) are high in fat content. there are lots of "milkshake" tasting protein powders that are meant to taste good so have fat in them....they are more entry level.

You must use protein combined with exercise and muscle building. Dont use these drinks as a means to skip all your meals.
    Check out sugar content too, also are you going with a whey, isolate or casein. I'd suggest google searching for "protein powder 101" and learn the basics :)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No good for me.
  • 1fitnessplanner
    1fitnessplanner Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i use maxitone definition protein shake 1 scoop with water comes in at 120 cals easily fits in with my goals and i use it after insanity workout as a recovery which it advises on the packaging it also says it can be used in a morning to kick start the metabolism- no green tea no caffeine it's not a meal replacement and not a diet shake it's just a protein shake tastes great and 24.3g of protein for 1 scoop, 2g carbs 2g fat and 0.8g sugar so really good.

check the labels, make sure you know what you're drinking and that it at least tastes palatable and if it's with breakfast or around your workout go for it. hasn't stopped my weight loss but has stopped my legs aching post workout so i can workout more and still workout the next day :)
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not bad for weight loss, if the calories are not too high. As was mentioned already, some of the "body building" formulas are very high calorie and thus not conducive to weight loss. (Unless you account for the calories.)

The protein shakes I use have a similar "do not use for weight loss" warning, however, it also states that they should not be used as meal replacements in an 800 calorie diet. I took this to mean they are to be used as a supplement only because they are not fully balanced nutrition.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    no weight gain here and i have 2 a day, it's mostly water anyway.
    the weight gain can be from the fact you are drinking pure easy to digest protein which adds to muscle mass.

I drink Natures Way - Instant Protein 2 scoops (ether chocolate or vanilla) along with 600 mls of water, tastes like a watery shake with some floaty bits :) 115 calories Protein = 23 Carbs = 4 Fat = 1 Sodium = 231 Sugar=3 (thats for 2 scoops)

usually have one in the morning either with 70-90g Rolled Oats or 2 Jumbo Scrambled Eggs + Multigrain Bread
    and one b4 my workout in the late afternoon. couldn't drink any more then that cause they don't add alot they are just meant to be a booster
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    Protein shakes are best taken before or after a workout, not necessarily as a "meal replacement". You have to be conscious of the supplement facts, read the labels.

Many that look "good" for you (lean body) for example look okay but check out the sodium! sure its low in calories and decent # of grams of protein but look at how high the sodium.

As someone new to protein shakes (but have been on MFP over a year and thus used to reading labels), I was amazed when I started snooping around GNC. For example, their Total Lean shakes have only 25g protein and a whopping 17g carbs for 2 scoops. How is that many carbs "lean"? The last thing I need to supplement is carbs! We settled on PMD Amplify XL, which is more masculine looking (and better taste IMO) but has 27.3g protein and only 4.5g carbs for 2 scoops. I think they put the word "lean" in the title and make a pretty white-and-baby-blue label to suck women in. Read your nutrition facts, people!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    If there is a "not for weight loss warning" on the package, that is CYA language for the manufacturer. That way they have a defense if they get sued by the dieter who limited his diet solely to protein shakes and impaired his health or the dieter who consumed 4000 calories a day and added a protein shake and didn't lose weight. Unfortunately, people will sue over anything and nothing....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If your protein powder says "don't use if you're trying to lose weight," I would strongly suggest buying a different powder.
    It's probably Body Fortress. I recall seeing that warning on the side of their product.
    My husband... said that the packages says its not to be used if you are trying to lose weight.
    Husband needs to expand his knowledge base beyond product labeling.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I usually take 1 - 2 servings of Optimum Nutrition - 100% Gold Standard Whey with Almond milk and have been losing weight.

As long as you stay under your caloric goal you're fine.

My question for you is, why are you taking protein?
  • janinealfke
    Options
    I can tell you that having had Gastric Bypass, a protein shake can be a healthy thing. HOWEVER, that said...it does matter greatly the nutritional values of the shake you are having. Mine are low calorie, usually under 150 calories, 1g of sugar and less than 5g of carbs. I use them before I go to the gym because they give me a high dose of protein before I work out. There are some that should be ok. Just watch the nutrition closely. Some are very high in carbs and sugar and calories. Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's excess calories not protein shakes that cause weight gain. If any shake fits into your allotted calories, then your gold.

This^^^
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If it says not to use for losing weight I think they mean not to use it as the ONLY means to lose weight. More than likely there was someone who took protein powder and used it for all of their meals and got sick from it hence the "warning".

That's my take on it.
  • Joyce0123
    Options
    I recommend you below an other site about Benefits of protein shakes
    for weight loss and invite you to find a better body to have in
    this situation. - See more at:
    http://marcimindbody.com/benefits-of-protein-shakes-for-weight-loss
  • Pamsa74
    Options
    I could really do with some input on protein shakes!!
    I am on a low calorie diet & have tried a couple of days having 2 phd diet whey protein shakes - they make me gag!
    But I must be doping something right as my weight & body fat is going down!!
    I don't want to rely of food fixes! Help guys - should I drop the shakes & just lose my weight based of fitness & food??
    Looking for new friends :wink:
  • wuraenyaz
    wuraenyaz Posts: 1
    Options
    Sorry but your husband is retarded, protein shakes are the holy grail to losing weight. I.E a high diet of Protein and Low or No Carbs will kill off weight quick but 90% of the people cannot handle that.