Creatine ....

Options
Who takes who doesn't why and why not?

I used to take and I noticed I'd not be nearly as sore and my recovery time was far faster then without. I also noticed the amount I could lift each set was far better as well.

Bare with me I have yet to have my morning coffee....

I guess where I am trying to go is if I want to pack on some more mass and put some bulk on is creatine something that will help with that?

I'm not going for a Jay Cutler look mind you... just want to fill out.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I had to quit taking it... it was making me far too aggressive
  • toporifico
    toporifico Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had really good success with taking it in the past. I just started it up again about a week ago, so I'm not sure I've felt much of a difference yet, but I'm pretty sure it will kick in soon. I'm definitely a proponent of using it.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Creatine has come a long way over the last few years. I use it when I lift because I feel it helps me recover faster and lift more as you say. My one suggestion is use creatine that has micro-dosing because it doesn't cause the bloat older creaines use to. I use Promera Con-Cret and have had good results with it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's in my protein powder. I do tend to think my recovery is better, but that's my personal subjective opinion. I have no real measurable "facts" to fight my corner with.

I think it's recognised as one of the few supplements that actually does something, but it doesn't have a magical effect for all people. This may be because they were already getting adequate creatine through their diet (i.e. a meat heavy diet) or maybe genetics....
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Jay Cutler--what ? He's supposed to be some example of fitness ? He is a very mediocre quarterback at best and I never thought he looked especially fit. RGIII on the other hand--he's a machine.

Pardon the rant but as far as your subject goes--I used to take it and noticed some of the improved things you mentioned and Men's Fitness magazine usually has some positive things to say about it but I think there is one negative and it has to do with decrease in testosterone or something to do with one's libido,etc. In conclusion, I'm not flat out against it but havent cared enough to go buy some and I definitely dont like the idea of lower testosterone/libido, etc..
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Here's my take on creatine (buckle up, it's a long ride)..

Creatine will cause you to put on water weight as your muscles become saturated with it. This is normal, and you will "bulk up" somewhat from that, as your muscles puff up with water.

Some people claim that if you stop taking creatine you will lose all your gains you had while on it. That's a myth. What you will lose if you go off it is the water weight, but any true muscle gains you made while on it are yours to keep..

The reduced DOMS (soreness) are caused by this water, because with extra water (hydration) in your muscle cells, the byproducts of overload, like damaged tissues, white blood cells, lactic acid, etc, can be quickly and more efficiently dealt with by your body's repair systems.

When you engage a muscle, Adenosene Triphosphate (ATP) is torn apart into Adenosene Diphosphate and a free phosphate. This breaking is what releases the energy to engage the muscle. Creatine acts as a shortcut in the muscle energy system, allowing the ADP + Phospate to recouple. This happens all the time in your muscle cells, but if you're on a creatine supplement, you have far more creatine in your cells than normal, and this can happen many more times, meaning you can push a few more heavy reps before muscle exhaustion and failure.

Creatine comes in many forms, but I'd suggest plain old Creatine Monohydrate. You can get it microcrystaline, or any other forms, if you like, but plain old CM powder is the way I go. It's the cheapest, and most proven form.

I think creatine is an excellent supplement for people lifting heavy to be able to push out more reps, be less sore, which in the end can only help you build more effectively.

The only downside is that some people have stomach distress from taking it. The best trick I've found for this is to ensure it is 100% dissolved. Plain old CM powder sometimes lumps and doesn't dissolve well in cold liquid and you end up drinking a mouthful of gritty junk at the bottom of the glass. This undissolved powder, i believe, is the culprit for the stomach trouble. I'd found that if you stir it into warm water, it dissolves perfectly quickly, like sugar in coffee. In fact, I often have my morning creatine IN my morning black coffee. The bitterness of black coffee easily covers up the bitterness of creatine, and there's no grit to drink in the bottom.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Nah bro, I don't use steroids. 100% natty for me.

/s

Yeah, I started weight training almost exclusively last week, so I started taking it. I've noticed that I am far less sore, and seem to be building muscle fairly well (though that could easily just be n00b gains)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?
  • nagatron
    nagatron Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lol the fact you think you can get Jay Cutler status on accident is funny.

That being said, if you are serious about weightlifting you would have never stopped taking creatine. The fact that you stopped taking shows that you are weak and deserve to stay weak.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I mix some in with our post workout protein smoothie that I make.

I used to take it pre and post workout and did experience the water gain which was NOT cool to me.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

That being said, if you are serious about weightlifting you would have never stopped taking creatine. The fact that you stopped taking shows that you are weak and deserve to stay weak.

This is funny! Flamers gonna flame always.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

Beautiful!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    Jay Cutler the QB! I'm sure it was irony, but for the unaware, there is another Jay Cutler!

Back on topic, be aware that about 1/3 of the population have no response to creatine, and only about 1/3 have a significant response.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Unlike muscles on creatine, this guys statement holds no water.

You need to get much bigger before talking that kind of **** buddy. And at 19, your knowledge is well, weak.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

You are SO helpful! I'm sure the OP is thankful that you decided to throw in your (useless) .02!:flowerforyou:
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It really helps wih the DOMS for me so I've been taking it. I'm looking for something a bit cheaper than Con-Cret though. I've only found it locally at GNC and at $45 it isn't cheap.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I guess my ignorance was bound to show eventually :)@OP-You've inspired me to reconsider it..after i drop about 10-15 more lbs.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Usually when i start trying put on weight or bulking i use it but usually stop when trying to cut.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was taking it for a while when I was lifting heavy and I stayed exactly along the lines of the suggest amounts and cycle off periods. Long story short, every blood test I had showed really bad results and tons of extra work for my kidneys and liver to the point where they started throwing out the C word at me. I stopped immediately and things went back to normal and my docs backed off.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I had to quit taking it... it was making me far too aggressive

I totally almost fell for this before reading who wrote it.

Well played.