• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    NO.

YES...as in I agree with NO.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define strength. If you define strength as the ability to run for 10 miles, then yes, cardio will build strength. If you are talking about being able to lift a car, then no, cardio is not going to build strength.

Since I started running my legs have gotten quite large and very well defined. However, if you put me next to a body builder I would look like a stick. I can maybe squat 100 pounds but I can run for 10 miles without stopping. It depends on how you define strength. I decided a while back that marathon runners are stronger than body builders so that has been my focus but others will almost certainly disagree with me on that. Its all about perspective and personal opinion.

If you think running doesn't involve strength, run ten miles and tell me how you feel the next day.

Much better than the day after leg day.

Run 10 miles and report back.

Um....Did you read any previous posts?

Yes and I stand by what I just said.

As do I. I run over 10 miles.....at a time.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define strength. If you define strength as the ability to run for 10 miles, then yes, cardio will build strength. If you are talking about being able to lift a car, then no, cardio is not going to build strength.

Since I started running my legs have gotten quite large and very well defined. However, if you put me next to a body builder I would look like a stick. I can maybe squat 100 pounds but I can run for 10 miles without stopping. It depends on how you define strength. I decided a while back that marathon runners are stronger than body builders so that has been my focus but others will almost certainly disagree with me on that. Its all about perspective and personal opinion.

I concur.

There is more to strength than being able to life a certain amount of weight that is for sure.

People can also argue until they are blue in the face about who is the stronger, the weightlifter or the runner, the fact is, who cares, providing we are all doing the activity we choose to do and we are enjoying it, that is the only thing that matters.

and whoever said about if you are a male and if you can only squat 100lbs there is a problem, I suggest that person goes outdoors and runs 10 miles without stopping and then see if you feel the same.

Definition of STRENGTH

1 : the quality or state of being strong : capacity for exertion or endurance
    2 : power to resist force : solidity, toughness
    3 : power of resisting attack : impregnability
    4 a : legal, logical, or moral force
    b : a strong attribute or inherent asset <the strengths and the weaknesses of the book are evident>
    5 a : degree of potency of effect or of concentration <chili peppers in varying strengths>
    b : intensity of light, color, sound, or odor
    c : vigor of expression
    6 : force as measured in numbers : effective numbers of any body or organization <an army at full strength>
    7 : one regarded as embodying or affording force or firmness : support <you are my love and my strength>
    8 : maintenance of or a rising tendency in a price level : firmness of prices <the strength of the dollar>
    9 : basis —used in the phrase on the strength of

Which one of these definitions were you looking at again?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

If you think running doesn't involve strength, run ten miles and tell me how you feel the next day.

I love when people don't bother to read the rest of the posts before they chime in.

Pretty much.

OH REALLY????

Well get your butts outside, run those 10 miles, report back and stop with the bickering and sniping, because it really begins to wear a bit thin.

If you read previously...I said I do.

Yes, I just realised, I went back realising there had been cross posting, I post a reply as someone says something and replies at the same time. I apologise to you. No offence meant.

However, to some others who seem to have delight in little snipes, why?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    and whoever said about if you are a male and if you can only squat 100lbs there is a problem, I suggest that person goes outdoors and runs 10 miles without stopping and then see if you feel the same.

I don't freaking care if you can sprout wings and fly around the world without stopping. If you are a healthy, adult male, you should be able to squat well above 100 lbs. If you can't, you've got a serious functional strength issue. I said it before, but perhaps it isn't sinking in. Endurance and strength are not the same. You can't just decide how you want to define them. They've already been defined.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I too used to run, 2.5 mi M-T-W-Th, and 10 mi EVERY friday. And Blade 10 mi Sat & Sun, The day after leg day is 10x worse than a 10 mi run, the day after... hands down, no contest ...if it isn't, you're not doing it right ....
  • RGv2
    Options

Yes, I just realised, I went back realising there had been cross posting, I post a reply as someone says something and replies at the same time. I apologise to you. No offence meant.

No Problem...

fallingfan.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't freaking care if you can sprout wings and fly around the world without stopping. If you are a healthy, adult male, you should be able to squat well above 100 lbs. If you can't, you've got a serious functional strength issue. I said it before, but perhaps it isn't sinking in. Endurance and strength are not the same. You can't just decide how you want to define them. They've already been defined.

Bolded for emphasis.
  • __Di__
    Options

Why should they be able to?

Perhaps what others are saying, in particular the person you are speaking about, is not sinking in for you.

You are criss-crossing lots of replies here, you are telling me stuff I did not write about. Re-read and maybe you will understand.

Until then I don't freaking care if you can squat as much as a bloke, not really interested, good luck to you and all that, but if you are going to start on the "he should be able to squat this, if he cannot he has a problem" lark, you need to take a good look at yourself, because you are being completely and utterly arrogant and it helps nobody.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't freaking care if you can sprout wings and fly around the world without stopping. If you are a healthy, adult male, you should be able to squat well above 100 lbs.

So if I can't squat 100, then I'm not healthy, or not male?

I agree strength training is good, but the "should be's" are off-putting. I'm sure I "should be" able to do 10 pull-ups but I can only manage 4 or 5 at best.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

No Problem...

fallingfan.gif

tumblr_lrdk2yxRZ61qcy0oe.gif
  • __Di__
    Options
    ^^ ____Di____, you really haven't read the whole thread, have you...LOL.....

I too used to run, 2.5 mi M-T-W-Th, and 10 mi EVERY friday. And Blade 10 mi Sat & Sun, The day after leg day is 10x worse than a 10 mi run, the day after... hands down, no contest ...if it isn't, you're not doing it right ....

Look, some find weights harder the day after, some runners, does it matter, seriously, what does it matter?

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options

I concur.

There is more to strength than being able to life a certain amount of weight that is for sure.

People can also argue until they are blue in the face about who is the stronger, the weightlifter or the runner, the fact is, who cares, providing we are all doing the activity we choose to do and we are enjoying it, that is the only thing that matters.

If we are relating it to muscles, strength would be defined as how much a resistance load one can do with maximal force.
    There isn't a discrepancy amongst any of the organizations (biology, physiology, kinesiology, etc.) on this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear this "can't build lean mass while on a caloric deficit" dogma all the time out here. When people present some evidence that they have built some muscle while losing weight, it's usually explained as "noob" gains (new exercisers apparently can gain some muscle mass).

Is there really decent science behind this dogma? I was trained as a scientist, although not in nutrition/biology/physiology, but from the articles I've read it seems the research in general on fitness and nutrition is extremely difficult to do cleanly. In a number of cases I've seen it's just bad and not to be trusted until there are supporting studies. But is the research on muscle gain solid? Supported by multiple studies from different researchers?

I'm asking because in my case I gained lean mass (over 6 pounds) over a period of about 8 months while losing around 40 pounds at a consistent pound or so a week. During that period I did roughly a 50/50 mix of HIIT cardio and kettlebell workouts.

So is 6 lbs of lean mass a negligible amount of muscle (I'm currently at 170 with 20% body fat)? I wasn't new to exercise and kettelbells when I started working out seriously last year, but it's true I work a lot harder now and with greater weights. But if this is noob gains, then I'd say "noob" is a really imprecise term.
  • beezales
    beezales Posts: 7
    Options
    To those saying that you can't build muscle or get "big" legs from endurance training: You don't know what you're talking about. Distance running will definitely make your legs bigger and stronger, especially if hills are involved. As an ultrarunner, my quads, hamstrings, and calves were so large, I couldn't wear jeans or most dress pants and had to live in skirts and dresses year round.

After 2 years of not running following an injury, they have decreased in size dramatically and I lost 6 lbs. of muscle mass. (sucks!)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

^^ This was your 1st post, so obviously YOU thought it did .....I just answered YOUR initial post... that's all .... :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Why should they be able to?

I know this wasn't directed at me but if I had to choose something which was more important for day to day life I would say some strength over some endurance (luckily no one really has to make that choice....)

There are certain key foundational human movements which are key to your long term well being and should be able to perform with a sufficient degree of strength:

1) push
    2) pull
    3) squat
    4) hinge
    5) twist / rotation

Not saying that everyone needs to be barbell squatting (far from it actually.) However, a squat is really just the ability to raise yourself up from a seated position. If you find you have difficulty doing that with some degree of weight attached that does not bode well for long term health in my opinion. Really at least a body weight squat should be the minimum but preferably more...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All cardio is not strength trainging, but resistance training is strength training. If you create resistance then you are improving / maintaining strength. It's not going to be a substitute for more intense or focused strength training like weights, resistance bands or body weight exercises, but it can improve strength.
  • RGv2
    Options
    You don't know what you're talking about. Distance running will definitely make your legs bigger and stronger, especially if hills are involved. As an ultrarunner, my quads, hamstrings, and calves were so large, I couldn't wear jeans.

After 2 years of not running following an injury, they have decreased in size dramatically and I lost 6 lbs. of muscle mass. (sucks!)

I was a competitive distance runner as well.

So you're comparing running hills and ultra distance to going for a 10 mile run?

I'm out, this thread has jumped the shark.
  • __Di__
    Options

^^ This was your 1st post, so obviously YOU thought it did .....I just answered YOUR initial post... that's all .... :laugh:

tsk all the replies were posting so fast, everything was getting mixed up. No sooner was I typing a reply, than somebody else was replying at the same time. This thread became as busy as the stock exchange at one point :laugh: