Two week vacation - gained 10 pounds

Options
I'm really upset with myself. I went on two week-long vacations this past month where I did not eat healthy. I went from 163lbs to 175 lbs. I got back about a week ago and I'm still at around 175lbs. I've been under my calories since I've come back but not sure why the weight hasn't fallen off? Is it really possible that I ate 35,000 extra calories in those two weeks to gain 10 pounds? I drank almost every night of the trip but not as much since I've come home. Argh!

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    35000/14=2500 over per day. I just came back from vacation too, and there were a couple of days that I was 1000 over and that's without alcohol and eating only 1 or 2 meals out (it was a staycation vacation). I know I could go 2500 calories/day over maintenance pretty easily if I ate out at every meal and had some alcohol. Especially if ice cream was involved. How long has it been though? I think it could take up to a couple of weeks to see what was water weight and what was fat. I was 8 lbs up and now I'm still 4 lbs up. Based on my calories, I should have gained 2 lbs of fat so we'll see if the scale is down another 2 lbs by next week. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can try cutting out processed food for a bit, (deli meats, breads, high sodium sauces) and focus on fresh produce and lean meats, and carbs like quinoa, brown rice... maybe going a bit heavier on the lean meats than carbs. Just try it for 5-7days to see what happens. That might help you shed some water weight and get your system going again. Just don't starve yourself.

You'll do it!
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Excess salt could be involved too; almost anything that is processed or involved in eating out tends to be higher in sodium. See if cutting down your sodium intake (not too much, we all need sodium) for a while and drinking lots of water, as well as green tea (natural diuretic) or peppermint tea, helps. Worse case scenario, you end up well hydrated.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 16 day vacation. I had a gain of 6 pounds. I did exercise some on my vacation but I ate at restaurants almost daily. I just have to get back on track now that I'm home. Today, I did my normal exercise routine and it felt great (walking, swimming, lifting weights). I really missed my normal exercise and eating routine.