Nutritionist?

Options
I feel like I eat well, but I want to be sure! And I want to know some other options out there for food that my simple mind may not know about :)

Has anyone ever had a nutritionist come in and judge their food/talked about new foods?

Replies

• CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out, not that talking with one it a bad thing, but you don't have to be a genius to be a nutritionist.
    There are a few different levels of nutritionists, I believe one of them you can become with an open book exam.
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    I agree with CL. You don't need a nutritionist to tell you lean meats high in protein, complex carbs like whole grains, fruits and veggies, water and exercise. Save one day out of 7 for a 'food fun day' to keep your sanity. That works very well for for me.

Seeing one won't hurt if you have health insurance and a trustworthy PCP. Don't break the bank though because your money is better spent on some salmon and chicken breasts.

Also if you're looking for healthy food ideas the best place is youtube. I kid you not. I didn't spend a dime on it :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician may be a better route
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I agree with CL. You don't need a nutritionist to tell you lean meats high in protein, complex carbs like whole grains, fruits and veggies, water and exercise. Save one day out of 7 for a 'food fun day' to keep your sanity. That works very well for for me.

Seeing one won't hurt if you have health insurance and a trustworthy PCP. Don't break the bank though because your money is better spent on some salmon and chicken breasts.

Also if you're looking for healthy food ideas the best place is youtube. I kid you not. I didn't spend a dime on it :)

Honestly, here's what I eat:

Meat:
    Chicken Breast
    Ground Turkey Breast
    Salmon
    Shrimp (lots of shrimp!!)
    Tilapia
    Fresh fish (that we catch)

Veggies:
    Frozen Corn (a lot)
    Cauliflower
    Carrots (a lot)
    Fresh Green Beans

Fruits:
    Grapes
    Bananas (almost every day before a workout)
    Apples
    Pineapple

SO... I know I eat healthy lol, but I more or less want some other options because nutritionists know all the good stuff! :) But thank you for your help! What do you look for on youtube?
  • amyamon14
    amyamon14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what to look for on YouTube as well.. Ill try some things. What if you don't like fish? My doctor told me some fruits and vegetables are high in sugar and to avoid eating a lot of them. (Like carrots?) Is there a book that you would recommend reading for good nutrition for weight loss?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic there is no need to avoid sugars in fruits and veggies.

OP: I would add -
    more meats
    more veggies
    more fruits

and dairy and whole grains (unless you have food allergies to these things)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Honestly, here's what I eat:

Meat:
    Chicken Breast
    Ground Turkey Breast
    Salmon
    Shrimp (lots of shrimp!!)
    Tilapia
    Fresh fish (that we catch)

Veggies:
    Frozen Corn (a lot)
    Cauliflower
    Carrots (a lot)
    Fresh Green Beans

Fruits:
    Grapes
    Bananas (almost every day before a workout)
    Apples
    Pineapple

SO... I know I eat healthy lol, but I more or less want some other options because nutritionists know all the good stuff! :) But thank you for your help! What do you look for on youtube?

How do you keep your sanity? There's no need to limit your diet to a handful of foods that you or others have deemed healthy, and exclude all other foods. Individual foods are neither healthy nor unhealthy. Your diet is healthy or unhealthy based on your daily calorie intake and your macros. Judge foods based on how they fit into the context of your diet...

11b5jr6.png
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options

How do you keep your sanity? There's no need to limit your diet to a handful of foods that you or others have deemed healthy, and exclude all other foods. Individual foods are neither healthy nor unhealthy. Your diet is healthy or unhealthy based on your daily calorie intake and your macros. Judge foods based on how they fit into the context of your diet...

11b5jr6.png

It's not that I've limited myself to that... I always have only eaten a handful of foods LOL I've more or less just changed the handful of foods from unhealthy to healthy. I don't mind a whole lot, but I love the fact that I can eat a lot and it all be within my calorie and sodium range. If I eat unhealthy foods, I can't eat so much lol! I'm looking for healthy alternatives that I can mow down on! :)
  • amyamon14
    amyamon14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What are "Macros"?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What are "Macros"?

Protein, Carbs, Fat.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician may be a better route

Bingo!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Awesome! Do you guys have any experience with a registered dietitian, then? :)