Desk Exercises Anyone?!?

Options
Because of my job, I sit at a desk 90 percent of the day (Computer Geek).

What are some random day-to-day exercises I can do while at my desk.
PS: I know most women probably do “butt” exercises most of the day so anything that can help let me know ;)

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 pound weights throughout the day at my desk. :)
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get up every chance I can. I also use stairs instead of the elevator. If you work in a building that has more than one floor, with restrooms on each level, always opt for one that isn't on your floor. If you work in a one level building, you can even take a few minutes here and there to loop the building on foot. If smokers are entitled to a smoke break- there shouldn't be any problem with a few minutes to walk around the building or block. Also...if you ever bring work home and have a laptop and a treadmill- there is a "surf shelf" that you strap to your treadmill and put your laptop on. I'm using one of those as I type this :)
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    scoot your chair back a little bit and do some leg lifts under the desk! :D
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Does banging one's head against the desk count?:explode:
  • Kevster75
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...
    Apparently just standing makes alot of difference... so do it as often as you can..
    Standing whilst on the phone also makes you more assertive, so the experts say..

You could get the ankle weights on and do leg raises under your desk, but it's probably better to get up and go to the furthest water point frequently, then go to the furthest toilet you can use..

Try to get out and about at lunch - walking for 20 mins makes a world of difference.... <<< Something I don't currently do - so repost this and then I'll read it and think 'Hey, great reminder!' haha
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    At one point I brought my excersize ball to work to sit on instead of my chair (my boss didnt have an issue). I eventualy took it home. My coworkers dont like themselves much and harrassed me daily about it. So now I walk around the building on breaks (they still make comments but I dont hear them so much). I also do leg lifts under my desk.
  • Kristin77
    Options
    Sitting on a stability ball instead of a chair engages your core, even if it is only for part of the day it can make a huge impact on your core strength.
  • maryr7
    Options
    Listen to the previous post about getting up as often as possible at least once an hour, not only works off a calorie or two but will keep you more alert and less likely to get varicose veins etc from sitting too much. At the very least, flex your feet & do ankle circles to keep the circulation going. Lift your knees too. Don't forget all the hand & wrist exercises to keep you from getting cts too. There are lots of Tai chi & ChiGong exercises you can do either seated or standing at your desk that serve as stress relief as well as exercise. If your office has a conference room that isn't always in use - schedule it for lunch time and get others to join you, use a video or have someone lead, it builds fellowship as well as giving you and energy boost. Good luck!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Does banging one's head against the desk count?:explode:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how standing all day or walking around makes me exhausted compared to days when I sit and do nothing--I work in a lab, so some days I'm always on my feet, not even exercising per se, just standing up rather than sitting. At the end of those days I just want to get home and sleep, while on slow days when I sit for most of the day I get home with extra energy to burn. Even if you can't get up and walk all day, try and find any excuse to get up and move, even for 2 or 3 minutes.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I get up every chance I can. I also use stairs instead of the elevator. If you work in a building that has more than one floor, with restrooms on each level, always opt for one that isn't on your floor. If you work in a one level building, you can even take a few minutes here and there to loop the building on foot. If smokers are entitled to a smoke break- there shouldn't be any problem with a few minutes to walk around the building or block. Also...if you ever bring work home and have a laptop and a treadmill- there is a "surf shelf" that you strap to your treadmill and put your laptop on. I'm using one of those as I type this :)

Yep - I do the same thing - I work on the 1st floor and take the stairs to the 4th floor to use the restroom, get more water, etc. I also have "appointments" that go off every two hours to remind me to get up, take a 15 minute break and walk around the building or outside. I also use a headset with my phone and pace back and forth, do lunges and/or leg lifts while on long conference calls. My co-workers find it all humorous, but who cares? I like being healthy!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A lot of upper body, leg and core exercises can be done sitting with a resistance band. Not much for cardio, but it does count as strength training. At home with the addition of a door or hook in the celing and a chair you can mimic just about any of the machines in the gym. With a couple bad discs I find that with the bands I don't have that tense and jolt to the muscles I had on the machines.

Good Luck!
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    Listen to the previous post about getting up as often as possible at least once an hour, not only works off a calorie or two but will keep you more alert and less likely to get varicose veins etc from sitting too much. At the very least, flex your feet & do ankle circles to keep the circulation going. Lift your knees too. Don't forget all the hand & wrist exercises to keep you from getting cts too. There are lots of Tai chi & ChiGong exercises you can do either seated or standing at your desk that serve as stress relief as well as exercise. If your office has a conference room that isn't always in use - schedule it for lunch time and get others to join you, use a video or have someone lead, it builds fellowship as well as giving you and energy boost. Good luck!

150 cals an hour :D
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try not resting on your chair....sit very lightly, then relax, then lightly...repeat as often as you can. Works your muscles like a squat.
    Suck in your abs, hold, release, repeat. The slower you release the more intensely the muscle is worked.
    Both of those can be done while you are working and with no one noticing.

You could get one of those bike pedal things that just sit on the floor in front of you.
    I also used my ball as a chair.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've got an exercise band in my handbag so I can do resistance exercises when I have a bathroom break! I keep praying they or I don't make any unfortunate noises!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stand more. I am a teller, in the drive up, and I sit all the time. Just by standing more, I feel it in my legs at the end of the day. If you can't stand, try doing leg lifts. Even with the weights, like someone previously suggested (I should start doing that :smile: ).