Fixing My Nutrition

Options
AngryManx
AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
I need nutrition help. I know that Calories In < Calories Out. I have the Body Media Link, so I can get an accurate calorie burn.

I just don't know where to start. I've set my macros to be Protein 40%, Fat 30%, and Carbs 30%, because I believe that a higher protein diet would be better for me. MFP has given me 1,910 calories per day.

I just grew up eating junk, and have continued to eat junk, and I don't know what a healthy meal would even consist of. I get that it's non-junk, meats and veggies.

For breakfast, we have a cafeteria where I work, and I will usually get an egg, swiss, bacon sandwich for breakfast. Is that good, or are there better things, like oatmeal with some side of protein?

I haven't tracked food in my diary for a few months, as my work has a busy season where we work 50+ hour weeks, and I have just been exhausted. I also spend 2+ hours in the car commuting a day, so now that our busy season is over until next March, I feel like I can commit to making this lifestyle change. Since I won't be working 11+ hour days, I can start preparing meals at home. I just don't know what an average meal/portion size looks like.

Replies

• AngryManx
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Check out this site. It can tell you about anything you'd want to know about nutrition.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I need nutrition help. I know that Calories In < Calories Out. I have the Body Media Link, so I can get an accurate calorie burn.

I just don't know where to start. I've set my macros to be Protein 40%, Fat 30%, and Carbs 30%, because I believe that a higher protein diet would be better for me. MFP has given me 1,910 calories per day. {...}
    I haven't tracked food in my diary for a few months, as my work has a busy season where we work 50+ hour weeks, and I have just been exhausted. I also spend 2+ hours in the car commuting a day, so now that our busy season is over until next March, I feel like I can commit to making this lifestyle change. Since I won't be working 11+ hour days, I can start preparing meals at home. I just don't know what an average meal/portion size looks like.

I think MFP is actually a good place to start.

In your set-up you say that your macros are set at 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs with your overall calories being 1,910 calories per day. In addition to percentages, the ap will list those percentage as an actual number of projected grams of protein, fat, and carbs that fit that 1,910 calories per day..

As a guideline, then divide that out over the number of meals you wish per day. That'll give you how many grams you need per meal (and you can then adjust between meals a day, borrowing from one meal and adding to another, but keeping the same total for the day). For example, if your 40% protein is approximately 100g protein... how many meals do you want to have protein in? You don't have to have protein in every meal, but how many do you wish to have protein? What does that break down to in terms of grams? That gives you some rough idea of how much protein you can have for one of your meals.

It's not necessary that it be an abolute for any particular meal, but it gives you a rough idea of where you might start.

(As far as protein goes, the recommended serving size is typically somewhere between 3 to 6oz. 3 oz of meat is typically around 21g of protein. If you need approximately 100g of protein a day, it's fairly simple math.)

Reading labels and the nutritional information of any restaurant you visit should help as well.
  • AngryManx
    Options
    I will check out that site from home, thanks! It looks like it has great info!

What should I be eating before/after strength training, and before/after cardio? Or does it not matter?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What should I be eating before/after strength training, and before/after cardio? Or does it not matter?

Strength - protein (a good pre/post shake and BCAAs during)
    Cardio - carbs (I'm a carbivore 24/7 - fuels the machine)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

As long as you are getting adequate nutrition it only matters a little. Eating (or drinking) protein after strength training provides some added benefit, but you don't lose the benefits of the training if you don't. A balanced diet is most important for overall health and performance. Adequate protein, fats and carbs to fuel your exercise. A variety of vegetables and fruits for micro-nutrients. Eat less than you burn. It's not that hard really.