Exercise- Am I doing it wrong?

Options
Hello!
I am a member at both the local YMCA and planet fitness (because I have alleged acountabillibuddy's at both places, both of whom never go with me but that is neither here nor there). When I go to planet fitness, I start by doing a fast walk on the treadmill for 2-3 miles. I'm afraid to run on the treadmill because I'm pretty sure I'll fall off and die, and I'm afraid to run in public because anxiety. Race next month should be interesting. Then I usually go to the elliptical and do that for however long makes the whole excursion an hour and 20 minutes of cardio. Then I lay on the water massager because all the dudes are by the weights and I feel like a moron and have no idea what to do. Then I leave. Once a week I hike with my fiance which is how I know I have like no muscle mass. I've lost 20 lbs doing this but I don't think I look any different and I'd like to be strong. Does anyone have an easy gym routine for someone afraid of weights and people?
Thanks!

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you're there with your fiance? Does he show you how to do any weight training exercises?

At PF have you thought about maybe starting with the circuit training area or perhaps ask one of the people who works there to show you how to use the equipment?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid of weights and people....

Probably a solid DVD or Youtube clips that you can do at home. It's not necessarily that you have no muscle mass, but that you're losing some of it by doing 90 minutes of cardio and nothing to really maintain what you have.

And it's not really that you have "no muscle mass" it's that you're lacking strength. There is a big difference between the two. You can gain strength without gains in muscle mass.

Hope this makes sense....I'm reading emails at the same time.
  • Zombiexdee
    Zombiexdee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My fiance will only hike with me. He isn't a gym person and is rather overweight himself. He works and goes to school so the only team up times are the sunday hike.

The youtube video thing is a good idea, as is the circuit training bit as there is barely ever anyone in that room at PF. I don't really understand the stregth vs muscle mass thing. I always equated the two.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi. I totally relate to being afraid of weights and people. While getting over some of your anxieties is probably the better way to go, for now you could look into body weight exercises you can do at home. There are a lot of little things you can do to build up your strength without the fear of dropping heavy things on your feet!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you have gym phobia, my advice is to work on excercise first and the mental stuff in a little while.

Workout at home. Do a progressive body weight strength program like You Are Your Own Gym (there is an app and a book). No equipment or gym required just stuff you have in the house. After your comfortable with that, get on a lifting program like startin strength, new rules of lifting for women, etc. But bring the workout with you to the gym and have a trainer show you how to do everything.

For running, run outside. In order to keep from noticing others, download the zombies run! app to your phone. You'll hopefully get involved with the story line and running from zombies that you'll be too distracted to worry about anxieties. Zombies run! has a couch to 5k version with a set run walk interval program if you aren't to the point of just being able to run a full 5k.

If you work on these things first, it may help your confidence so you are in a better position to handle your gym phobias. Good luck!
  • Zombiexdee
    Zombiexdee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a supportive board! I agree I need to work on my anxiety. I hardly ever want to go to the gym to begin with but the accomplished feeling helps. I just really don't want to look stupid. I actually downloaded both the Zombies Run apps =) I've only played the first part of the 5k one at the gym cuz it's "any pace". I'm nervous for ones where I'd have the adjust the treadmill. I never even though of using it outside. That other app sounds really good too. Both of the people I started going to the gym with exclusively do cardio and I think that's how I ended up doing that.
  • novovo
    novovo Posts: 3
    Options
    First of all, you're not doing anything wrong. You want to exercise, and are trying - that is a whole lot more than most people are doing. If you're exercising to get in shape for a race you should probably be running outside, not on a threadmill. Run or powerwalk hills to build your stamina and leg muscles, or find a place with a lot of stairs, and do intervals.

Suggestion for stair intervals:
    -Walk briskly up the stairs (one step at a time). You should at least be breathing fast at the top.
    -By the 4th or 5th workout you can start jogging slowly, don't over do it. Use the return to the bottom as interval-rests.
    -Try to do one more set after you think you're exhausted - your mind always want you to stop before you're done.
    -Don't do more than two of these workouts per week.

Now, if your primary goal is to lose weight and recomp your body to look the best, lifting beats cardio. Diet is gold, lifting is silver and cardio is - to be a bit blunt - best if you want to be good at cardio.
    That however doesn't mean you shouldn't do at least one session of cardiovascular training every week, because of the health effects and for stamina.

There are, as others have stated, lots of home programs on the web, where you can use your body weight and/or house goods to exercise. If you have space you could buy some dumbbells and a barbell with weights (craigslist?) and work out at home. Find a program that suits you on the web.

If you find the confidence to get over your anxiety, hire a personal trainer for one or two sessions, and ask them to set up a program and to show you how to follow it. The weight room is a lot less intimidating when you know what you're doing.

Oh yes, one last thing: Don't eat the calories you burn. Too many people use work outs as justification to pig out.

'Best of luck to you. You can do this!
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you want to get stronger by lifting weights the main trick is to just get in there. Anyone paying attention to everybody else is doing it wrong. It is intimidating yes because very few women venture in there but go and you may be surprised at your abilities.

Another suggestion would be to find a program that you like such as 5x5 (great for beginners) or Stronglifts. I have recently switched mine to the program in the book by Lou Schuler, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great and funny read and I highly recommend it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to start lifting but didn't know how I hired a personal trainer. I also had a lot of anxiety at the gym, not knowing what to do or being around people who were intimidating to me. With the trainer I focus on his instruction and never even notice anyone. I'm more confident now and can do a lot on my own but having a trainer is what works best for me. Good luck!