I would love some thoughts on this please

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been overweight since I was 6, not hugely overweight but I've been up and down. My highest weight was 200 lbs and now I am 170. I have been between 160 and 170 for years now. I was on weight watchers for a while and now I am here. I am having a very hard time losing even one pound! I eat my 1200 cals a day which consists of healthy foods and a few treats here and there. I exercise daily, about 30-50 min of moderate cardio a day. I stop myself from snacking at night and drink water or tea instead. Both my husband and mom have been surprised at how it is just not coming off as I am really trying hard. I watch these inspirational videos and look at progress pictures of people who have been successful and I just get disappointed in myself as it is just not happening for me.

Sometimes you need another set of eyes to look at your situation and point out what changes should be made. I'm thinking it's something that I cannot see. I guess I am asking if anyone has ever been in the same boat and somehow found something that worked?

As of right now I feel discouraged because it's hard work, and when there is no payoff, it gets frustrating really fast.

Thanks to all who read this and respond.

Take care!

Replies

• agonzalez1112
    Options
    You should have blood work done to see if you have a thyroid condition. My friend had the same issue and it was her thyroid.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you are eating and what type of workouts you are doing:)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    open your food diary
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You could try really stepping up your work out routine. Also, I agree with the thyroid thing.
    A long time ago my doctor told me that with my body type she wouldn't want me being less than 160.
    Maybe you're most healthy at the weight that you've stayed at?
    Just talk to your doctor. They'll definitely have the best advice. =]
  • Laurenluv
    Laurenluv Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did recently have blood work done and my thyroid is fine. How do I open my food journal?
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did recently have blood work done and my thyroid is fine. How do I open my food journal?

Go to Settings>Diary Settings and set your diary sharing to public.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    How tall are you? What kind of job do you have? What's your activity level like?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Questions.

How long eating at 1200 a day?
    How long to get from 200 to 170?
    Do you weigh your food or guestimate?
    Do you have a cheat day/meal where you don't log and eat whatever? If so, how often.
    Are you doing a strength training routine?
    How many days a week of cardio?
    Is your diary now open?
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for your body weight and for the amount of workouts you do. Sorry, but yes, you need to eat more!
    The standard advice here would be to figure out your calories: TDEE - 20%.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    There are plenty of other calculators on the internet.
  • carmenteacher
    Options
    You might want to speak with a dietitian or your doctor and see if you are eating enough calories to meet your body's needs and to lose weight. Also do you do any type of strength or interval training. It can really transform your body.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for your body weight and for the amount of workouts you do. Sorry, but yes, you need to eat more!
    The standard advice here would be to figure out your calories: TDEE - 20%.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    There are plenty of other calculators on the internet.

this. You are not eating enough.

I suggest eating 10-20% below your TDEE, scaling back a little on the cardio and incorporating some strength training into your exercise.
  • IrishSandy
    IrishSandy Posts: 10
    Options
    When my progress stalled, my doctor told me to add strength training. It didn't make sense to me, but I did, and things started moving again. Best wishes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the hat. When you figure this out, and get to goal weight OP and it's too big for you... can you mail it to me? I'd love to wear that around town so people can stop thinking I'm from some exotic place befriending me and then acting like I tricked them into being my friend.
  • urgravity01
    Options
    Hello,

If you want to get your weight loss goal then try to use the best Weight Loss meal plans that are most effective for you. Running and cycling are the best ways to lose weight. If you start running then you see effective results after a short period of time. Cycling is also best for you to lose weight.

Thanks and Regards,
    Ashley
  • Laurenluv
    Laurenluv Posts: 43
    Options
    thank you for your replies. I do not have a strength training routine, I would like to but don't really know how to go about finding one. I am 5'6 to answer another question. As for the 1200 cals being too little, if I eat more, I will gain, simple as that. I think my metabolism is crap and eating more is not going to help me lose. I get the logic, but I think that some people are different, and from what I have experienced, for me to lose weight, I definitely cannot up my food intake.

I will open my food journal for people to take a look and give me some constructive criticism on. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe eating so little calories for your height and weight has damaged your metabolism. You could get your BMR professionally tested, to see whats up, and perhaps find a good endocrinologist that can help look at how to improve your metabolism. It also may be worthwile to start strength training to boost your metabolism.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    It will take some time for your body to boost your metabolism. Yes, you've damaged it by eating so little, but it's never too late to make it better.
    I don't know how can anyone survive on 1200 calories a day. Especially if you're going to start adding strength training! Eat MORE, for goodness sake!
    What is your height and your age?
    Have you even tried figuring out your TDEE with one of those calculators? What number does it say you should be eating?

I don't know your age, but I plugged in the rest of the numbers (weight, height, sex) in the calculator and I put age 35 (not sure if it's close or not). Just your BMR is 1534. That's the calories your body needs just to breathe, brain to work, heart to pump blood, etc. You're eating WAY BELOW your BMR. You need to start eating more ASAP! No wonder you're not losing weight.
    You should be eating around 1800-1900 calories a day (when you work out).
  • amyloutoyou
    amyloutoyou Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just came back to sane eating and exercise. I find that the fitbit really helps me be honest about my exercise and it integrates with MFP. You are not that far from your goal weight and those pounds come off slowly.