Tips for the super busy

Options
ISO Tips for us super busy people... and I'm not talking just making excuses - but then always has time for facebook, watching TV, etc... I'm talking - I'm lucky if I get to eat, or drink, or even get to pee... (I already park as far away as I can, take stairs when I can, etc...) And yes, I'm working on cutting things out of the schedule, saying no to voluntary and extra activities, and I really do know how important adequate sleep is to losing weight...

How do you who are super busy, overworked so bad that your house is a mess, get 4 hours of sleep on a good night people work in some exercise...

thanks! I'll be back later to check - cuz I'm busy :smile:

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have to re-prioritize and make the time, that's all there is to it.

Specific recommendations would depend on circumstances, i.e. mothers with small children might want to try DVD's at home or playing on the playground.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't "find" time, you "make" time. If you're trying to find the time, it'll be a lost cause...finding time is far too passive. When you make time, you are asserting yourself. Also....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfZ9MKzEGxv38OFbbym84n26BmOsRduZiRWM1h64cx4i1U6FTAYg

I guarantee it....
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you don't have hours to blow at the gym maybe just try to squeeze in a 20 minute work out video? Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is one of my favorites when I am crunched for time.

I've also learned to ask for help. My laundry has doubled since I started actively working out so I've asked my husband to help me with the dishes to compensate for the extra time I am spending on the laundry.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You need to make time for yourself. Even if you have no chronic conditions now, your stress level is probably through the roof and that often leads to conditions you do not want to have. That's why you need at least a half-hour every day.

Take a walk. Work out. Bike ride. Take the family or the kids with you if this is impossible five days a week.

Secondly, you really need about 7 hours of sleep a night (I need 8-9) because that's not good for your body either. Your body needs time to heal and destress, too.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    bump - great stuff so far~
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You don't "find" time, you "make" time. If you're trying to find the time, it'll be a lost cause...finding time is far too passive. When you make time, you are asserting yourself. Also....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfZ9MKzEGxv38OFbbym84n26BmOsRduZiRWM1h64cx4i1U6FTAYg

I guarantee it....

Pretty much this. I work 6 days a week, am a caregiver to my 110 year old grandmother, and have various commitments to community service programs I am involved in
    You just make sacrifices. My social suffers heavily unless I can talk my friends on a hike with the dog or a trail run. But being healthy is more important to me. If I get invited to do something I think first if I can fit it in after my workout.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop at work with my co-workers when they take their smoke breaks ... 20 minutes twice a day. If you don't want to hoop, you can take a short walk.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    start at 4am.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    What do you do for work? Do you get a lunch break? I used to go for walks/runs around the parking lot a few years ago on my lunch break when I was super busy. Also, get in the habit of "exercising" anytime you are sitting still. IE: squats/lunges when you're in the kitchen making dinner. If you work at a desk, do searches online of "desk workouts". If you can get 5 min in 5x/day that's 25min of exercise :)
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What do you do for work? Do you get a lunch break? I used to go for walks/runs around the parking lot a few years ago on my lunch break when I was super busy. Also, get in the habit of "exercising" anytime you are sitting still. IE: squats/lunges when you're in the kitchen making dinner. If you work at a desk, do searches online of "desk workouts". If you can get 5 min in 5x/day that's 25min of exercise :)

^^^ Me too.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just work it in when I can. It's not always easy on my schedule. On the days when exercise is not an option, I just make sure to watch very carefully what and how much I eat and get plenty of water. I try to eat lunch at my desk and exercise during lunch, but sometimes I have to use my lunch break to run errands and some days it's not a full break.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It is easier to get a calorie deficit from diet so focus on that first. Take an hour out of your Sunday to prep.. I cut veggies to grab as snacks, make a couple salads for the week, cut up watermelon, hard boil eggs and prep veggies for my meals. Makes it easier to grab and go. I always pack my lunch for work the night before so I just need to grab it out of the fridge in the morning.

Make exercise a routine and part of your schedule. Once you do that, it helps a lot. Schedule it for your favorite TV show that way you know you can watch your show. i have to do it after my kids go to bed because that is the easiest for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll post back here when I get a chance.
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is easier to get a calorie deficit from diet so focus on that first. Take an hour out of your Sunday to prep.. I cut veggies to grab as snacks, make a couple salads for the week, cut up watermelon, hard boil eggs and prep veggies for my meals. Makes it easier to grab and go. I always pack my lunch for work the night before so I just need to grab it out of the fridge in the morning.

Make exercise a routine and part of your schedule. Once you do that, it helps a lot. Schedule it for your favorite TV show that way you know you can watch your show. i have to do it after my kids go to bed because that is the easiest for me.

This. Planning is everything! I have a daily commute of 2.5 hours round trip, typically work 50 hours per week, and have a husband and 4 children. We plan and schedule everything! I pack lunches every evening, my husband gets up early and works out in the AM, I work out in the PM, etc. That's the only way this works for me as I can justify just about anything!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I just read all the replies and I feel like I might be the only one that really "gets" the OP. And I guess that could be untrue, but here is my scenario -

Get up at 6 AM, drop kids off at daycare. Drive to office or to work in the field. If I'm lucky, I get lunch. Sometimes it's a Luna bar.

Work until 3:30. Or 8. Depending on situation. Yesterday, for example, I was at the office until 5:30. Then it is an hour drive home. Yesterday I was EXCEPTIONALLY lucky that my husband got home a little earlier than me (which never happens) and threw together a fabulous quick dinner. Arrived home 6:10, had to be out the door at 6:35 to take my kids to swimming lessons.

Yes, swimming lessons are voluntary. However, it's 10 days out of my life in 2013. I think I can make that sacrifice and make it a higher priority than me working out.

Get home from swimming around 8:15. Bedtime - showers, pj's, goodnights. It is now 8:45. Put kids to bed. Tidy up a bit. 9 PM, house is a disaster and I haven't "worked out".... but I slept for literally one hour the night before. So I opted to go to bed.

Now, this was actually a GOOD day, because I managed to sneak a lunch break with my husband for an hour to Applebee's for a 550 calorie lunch, plus he was home in time to make dinner. Many other days it's literally coffee for me until I break down and eat a granola bar, then maybe dinner somewhere..... then home, bed around 11-12 on average.

I do not "get" lunch breaks. I'm self-employed. I work constantly. And sure, people say that it's my choice, or I'm being too hard on myself, but many other self-employed people get it - you are the worst boss you've ever had in your entire life. And my family getting ANY dinner depends on me, as I am the primary income. There is no such thing as vacations, and if you ignore your phone part of the day, the world implodes and people hate you, you lose business, end of story.

So MY tips? Sneak something in whenever possible. Like right now, with swimming lessons, I'm volunteering to the parent in the water with my little one. It's not much, but it's something - I try to sneak in some actual "work" in the water when I can.

Take advantage of downtime. I had a quiet Sunday, so I went for a two hour bike ride. Last summer I was doing 3-4 hour rides every week. I haven't had that option yet this year with our schedules, and I miss it.... but you can burn an awful lot if you work hard for two hours!

And if you can, sneak in Jillian. I did a few rounds of 30DS and Ripped last spring, and it was amazing considering it was only 25 minutes. Now, when I sleep an average of 4 hours a night, I usually can't convince myself to short myself another half an hour - but if the opportunity is there, take it.

And for the record, I was getting up around 5 to go run, but when the days got longer my work day did, too, and that's fallen by the wayside.

My priority is to sleep before working out. Because, as I mentioned, there are nights where I'm literally up until 3 AM working - I don't think it's fair to expect my body to function well if I then get up at 5. It doesn't function well when I get up at 6!

(Please no lectures. I know my situation, my life position and business position quite well right now. Right now is a bust-butt-so-you-can-expand period, and I'm working on doing just that. Then if I expand, I will again have more time for me. There are phases of more time for myself and less time, and I'm currently in a less-time-for-me phase. It, like all things, will pass.)

Hey OP- feel free to add me as a friend. If my life sounds like yours, please understand that I totally get it. I'm not perfect at logging, because honestly, I get too busy for that, too.... but I try!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I am horrible at time management...
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My super busy times come and go. But when they're here, I find it easier to do little things to add up through the day if I know I won't have time to devote to real exercise.

First, diet is the bigger key than activity. First priority is eat properly. You can lose weight even without adding activity.

Then, a few things I do to help:

- Walk everywhere that's within reasonable distance. Where I'm from, I spend as much time cursing at other cars in the parking lot or on the way to the grocery that it's easier to walk.
    - Take the stairs. Screw the elevator.
    - At work, find reasons to get up and move. I've hit 10,000 steps during the day just by going to the bathroom on a different floor, stretching my legs once every half an hour or so, walking to go talk to someone in the office instead of emailing or calling them with my question, etc.
    - Park farther away from the building, whether it's the office, the grocery, the post office, the Laundromat, whatever.
    - Utilize your lunch break wisely.
    - Leg weights! They may not take inches from your waist, but they'll tone the hell out of your legs while you're busting your buns around the house.
    - Drink lots of water. You'll HAVE to get up and move whether you want to or not. :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you watch TV during the day, do it while you're on a stationary bike. I typically do this after work while the kids are practicing piano or doing homework.

Also, I buy microwave lean cuisine meals on Sunday/Monday for the entire week and keep them in the work fridge. I keep nuts at my desk and a several packs of gum for when I feel like chewing on something. I also try to keep my desk stocked with flavored seltzer water in case I feel the urge to drink something carbonated.

(sigh) good luck.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You make time for things that are important. This includes fitness.

I started out by giving up some time in the morning that I used to catch up on my reading to walk. Then I started walking while watching TV at night. Now, I schedule my workouts like any other appointment.

Some people may feel differently but my fitness, health and overall well being is more important to me than any charity that I can give my time to.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work in a demanding role for a Fortune 10 company, have 2 kids 3 and under and a wife that works full time...very busy, very little "free time."
    Priorities:

Diet first - even if you can't work out, you can eat good food that is fuel and will drive your health

Sleep is vital - for me, the magic number is 7. I can get by on 5-6 hrs per night, but that catches up on me by the end of the week.

Force a workout into your schedule - even if it's 30DS at 5 AM - it is totally worth it and will give you the energy to deal with the rest of your schedule. I have a gym here on campus, so I've started hard-scheduling workouts in place of my lunch to maximize time. Also, with my parking lot, I choose a very far away space, then walk all the way to the building and choose the stairs over the elevator to get to my 4th floor office. I've found an UP by Jawbone really helpful to ensure I'm moving enough even if I'm not getting my workout in. One time, on a business trip, I had a longer layover in the ATL airport and a conference call to do. I called in, put the phone on mute and walked laps in the terminal for about 90 minutes while on the call - burned a bunch of calories rather than sitting on my bum! Find ways to amp up normal activities - when I'm doing laundry while wife is at work, I make sure I carry each pile upstairs separately, rather than in the basket. This means 4-6 more trips up and down the stairs - like a free workout!

Drink water all the time! It will keep you sharp and all the extra trips to the bathroom burn more calories!

Just move!