Hello (: I'm Mairead and I'm on a mission.

Options
Hello! My name is Mairead. (Muh-Rade) I'm a 20 year old college student from Massachusetts. I currently weigh 305 pounds. Hitting 300 was my breaking point. My weight has sky rocketed since I started high school. After graduating, I lost 40 pounds, all on my own by exercising and eating right. I got cocky, relaxed my habits a little bit, and quickly gained it all back.

This summer I have moved out of a tiny apartment and into a big house with my whole family. I started a new job and a new major in school. With all these changes proving to be successful, why not tackle the biggest and baddest of them all.

My best friend and I have been planning a cruise for ourselves and our boyfriends for next summer. We're thinking a Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas. I have no intention of being bikini ready by next summer, but I want to take a lot of pictures and remember our adventure! So if I could be shorts and a tank top ready, nothing could make me happier.

My goals: I ultimately want to be 180 pounds and a size 14. I want to be able to run and label myself as "a runner". Since none of my stick skinny friends can relate, I'm hoping to make supportive and understanding friends through this community and throughout the course of my "mission".

That's all (: Its nice to meet you all!

Replies

• caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to the site! You will find tons of help, tips and support on here. (and I just love your name!!) :flowerforyou: Good luck on your journey with MFP. :happy:
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello Mairead

Good luck achieving your goals :)

:o)

(P.S. Mairead is a Gaelic name isn't it? Do you have any Scottish relatives? I'm from Glasgow)
  • decemberg
    Options
    I am not going to lie to you ..it isn't easy. I know from doing it right now. Just find something you like to do and it will seem like fun and not exercise. When the pounds start coming off it will be motivation enough! I love Zumba and I do it 2-3 times a week. If I miss class I am sad. Find something that moves you! Good luck!!
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the site! This is a great place for tips and support!
    I can relate to what you went through. Back in highschool I was able to lose about 35lbs just from cutting out POP!!(iwas also in marching band, so that helped a lot!) oh, how i wish i could do that again! lol But, I got lax and it came back with a force - especially when I started college and my body got used to the marching style.
    Having a big goal like a cruise is fantastic!
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi ya' and welcome to MFP!! I think you've found the best place to meet new people and get all of the support you need. We're all here for our own reasons and specific goals, but we are working towards the same end, becoming more healthy. Please feel free to friend me and good luck in your efforts.

:flowerforyou:
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm 22. From MA as well :) I've struggled with weight my whole life and it is soooooo time to go.

We can do it together !!!!!!
  • debbie1268
    Options
    Hi and welcome.. You will have a TON of support here.. Good Luck in your goal...(side note) I just came back from a Carnival Cruise about 1 month ago. I took alot of pics,my friends are wanting me to put them on my facebook so they can see them. I am very hesitant because I do not want to see what I looked like in them.. YUK!!! I just booked another one for next Aug and I plan on being at goal by then, losing 90 lbs..
    Good luck!!!! You are worth it!!!!

Add me as a friend if you would like...
  • colleen_mairead
    colleen_mairead Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    weelissa and cariballinger, Its Gaelic for Margaret. (: We all have Irish names. Mairead, Brendon, Betsy, Fiona, and Eileen.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Its Gaelic for Margaret, yes. We all have Irish names. Mairead, Brendon, Betsy, Fiona, and Eileen.

Lovely. I have a friend called Mairead. It means pearl.. I think!
  • dore0021
    Options
    You can do it! Great goals :-)
    This site will definately help. I wish you allllll the luck in the world.
  • colleen_mairead
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and the compliment! I've heard great things about this particular site.
  • colleen_mairead
    Options
    Decemberg! I want to try Zumba, it looks like so much fun

! I have 2 Pilates DVDs, they're fun and you feel super motivated after you've finished one, but they take a lot out of you. I like walking right now. I don't have money to spend on classes. I miss my weekly yoga class already. :/ But text books don't grow on trees!
  • colleen_mairead
    Options
    Thank you so much, Dore!
  • colleen_mairead
    Options
    I do believe so!
  • colleen_mairead
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the site! This is a great place for tips and support!
    I can relate to what you went through. Back in highschool I was able to lose about 35lbs just from cutting out POP!!(iwas also in marching band, so that helped a lot!) oh, how i wish i could do that again! lol But, I got lax and it came back with a force - especially when I started college and my body got used to the marching style.
    Having a big goal like a cruise is fantastic!

Thank you! I think its just the goal I need. I used to walk everywhere, after graduating I got my first car, and everything just got worse and worse!