Weight Lifting Newbie

Options
I am lifting at home while my little one naps so I only have a small window of time. I also only lift small weights because I am a beginner.

I'm looking to find out if there is a good website for beginners, I don't want to get buff and huge/pumped, I just want to have some strength and when I have a routine down then I will add in the cardio for endurance, overall weight loss and fitness.

Can someone recommend a website that can show me which moves to do? I need help on how to workout my chest, shoulders, triceps, back, biceps, and legs. I am a stay at home mom on one income so I can't afford to get a personal trainer or a gym membership.

Thanks.

Replies

• xmeganxtarax
    Options
    Nobody? Where are all the critics!!
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you can try bodybuilding.com or if you have a smart phone there is a jefit app which is great with demos of each lift.
    You can search the forums for this too as I've seen great recommendations in the past for at home small weight lifting.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've heard Strong Lifts recommended. Also, there's something called "Convict Conditioning" that basically builds muscle without gym equipment....I believe it's a book, but if you google it, you'll find more info.
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't worry about getting buff. It's extremely hard for us women to get buff unless we get our body percent fat WAAAY low.

Anyway, after that, I can only tell you what I do. I bought a book. It's called, "The new rules of lifting." It's a fantastic way to get toned and strong. BUT, I do have a gym membership, at the Y, that's $35. I used to have a membership at Planet Fitness for $10, which was awesome. Most of the exercises require dumbbells, so perhaps you could just buy some of those if you don't want to go to a gym....

Well, that's my input. I hope a little bit of it helped.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I am probably going to get a fitness centre membership here anyways lol it's right around the corner. I'm pretty sore from just lifting 10 lb hand weights. That's how weak I am lol thanks for the ideas. I'm going to check out that app!
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    In regards to not wanting to bulk up: That is entirely a diet issue. If your in a deficit of daily calories you wont gain size. But do make sure you don't work out on an empty stomach and also have a little something after you work out.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    In regards to not wanting to bulk up: That is entirely a diet issue. If your in a deficit of daily calories you wont gain size. But do make sure you don't work out on an empty stomach and also have a little something after you work out.

Thanks you, will do