women's lifting at home

Options
What is a good women's lifting program I can do at home, a Dvd etc? I want to be able to do the elusive pull up without my leg on a chair or some kind of modification.

Replies

• heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Check out www.zuzkalight.com. Great workouts for both men and women! :)
  • abneys
    abneys Posts: 30
    Options
    I've used both Chalean Extreme and P90X in the past with good results. P90X has way more pull ups in it than Chalean though if I'm remembering correctly.

But you can always just do exercises that work the same muscles and keep trying. Not really sure you need to have a program.

Best of luck!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    ChaLean Extreme if you just have dumbbells and want a DVD to do at home. If you have more equipment or acces to a gym I suggest getting the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of body weight exercises you can do at home that will improve your strength, and I second the new rules book. It does require some equipment, but I love working out at home and invested in a home gym.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • SkylinePigeon9797
    Options
    I've been doing ChaLEAN Extreme for the past 40 weeks. LOVE it. Definitely my "soulmate workout" haha! You can do it with dumbbells or resistance bands (I prefer dumbbells).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Same. I have to modify some lifts because I don't have a squat rack, but it's still doable.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do Starting Strength at home.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If doing a pull up is your goal, there are free resources/instructions you can find online to do that. Whether chair or resistance bands, you will probably end up having to do some assisted pull ups first before you can just hit the full ones. Nothing wrong with that. It just takes time, patience, and training.

As for lifting at home, it depends on the equipment available, but you can look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, and Allpro. Even if you can't do the exact exercises, you can find alternatives and at least apply the concepts/approaches to what you are able to do.

If no equipment at all, look into NerdFitness and Convict Conditioning.
  • hvnlykoi
    hvnlykoi Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have a lot of reading to do now
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do Starting Strength. Bought all my equipment on Craig's List for under "400.00. Met with a weightlifting trainer twice to correct form. Watch lots of vids on the lifts.