TRX anyone?

Options
Hi all
does anyone out there use a TRX or something similar at home? Thinking of purchasing one but wanted to get some feedback if others find it a useful exercise tool. I use one now at my gym and have been able to do better lunges and squats because it helps with my balance (keep in mind I'm 57!) any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have a junglegym XT. It cost $80 if i remember correctly.

I use it frequently, it's pretty great.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I own the Jungle Gym XT and CrossCore 180 suspension trainers which are similar but IMO better. They have done amazing things for me, and have been the core of my fitness program for almost 2 years now. I have TONS of info on them. Seriously, TONS.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I have a junglegym XT. It cost $80 if i remember correctly.

I use it frequently, it's pretty great.

DAMN YOU for beating me to it!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If I were buying equipment for home and couldn't afford a full power rack, this is what I'd buy. I enjoy working out with it at the gym, there are loads of exercises to do, and you can modify intensity easily.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Looks cool, but just wish the trainer at my gym would use it at home with his clients and not take up so much room at gym. lol

No problem sharing but when I cant use pull-up bars for a long time, that's ridiculous. That inconsiderate roid monkey :/
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love love love it. The possibilities are endless and there is always a way to make it harder. Gives my strength training a fun variation and has worked magic on my core and balance.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I do it in bootcamp, and as I am weak and can't do more than like 2 push ups I find it incredibly difficult. But I sweat up a storm and am pretty sure working hard as a result.
  • Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use TRX with my trainer twice a week. I absolutely love it and am thinking of purchasing my own straps for home.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Another Jungle Gym XT user here. I've been using it for about 6 months and I like it. Dips are tough when your hanging from straps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    have used- highly recommend- they are great for on the go (pack up pretty small) and great for at home/park use. Can be used at the gym- but I think that's kind of silly to be honest.

But yeah- they are GREAT.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I own the Jungle Gym XT and CrossCore 180 suspension trainers which are similar but IMO better. They have done amazing things for me, and have been the core of my fitness program for almost 2 years now. I have TONS of info on them. Seriously, TONS.

Can you elaborate for others why you have two of them and what the benefits are to either/both?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Can you elaborate for others why you have two of them and what the benefits are to either/both?

Sure. I am going to copy and paste this from a blog post I made some time ago about the inherent differences between dual and single anchor setups.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

You've probably seen me talk endlessly about suspension training, and are wondering what it is. Well, suspension training is basically a form of bodyweight training that allows you to modify ordinarily advanced bodyweight-based exercises (even the kinds of things gymnasts would do) to your fitness level, and base workout programs on these strength exercises. Because these types of dynamic exercises are very demanding on the core, it allows you to train your core without ever actually focusing on it.

Here's how it works:

Basically, all the system really is, is a pair of heavy duty handles with foot cradles attached to heavy duty nylon straps that you can anchor from doors or overhead anchor points such as tree branches, pullup bars, basketball hoops, or any other overhead structure. You grab the handles, and lean forward or backward while maintaining a plank-like rigidity to your body until you find an angle that provides just the right amount of resistance for you. You then do a wide variety of pushing or pulling exercises that simulate the movements you would do with dumbbells or other such tools. For lower body work, there are a number of exercises that involve putting your feet in the foot cradles.

There are two basic types of suspension trainers (with a few variations on each): Single anchor, such as TRX brand suspension trainers, and dual anchor. Single anchor systems have the two straps coming together and merging into one single strap before the anchor point. Dual anchor systems have the whole unit being two separate straps that you anchor separately. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important you choose the right one for your needs.

Single Anchor:

Single anchor systems are naturally more unstable than dual anchor systems. The way that the two straps come together at a single anchor point makes it more difficult to keep yourself stable while using it, which means the core engages more while performing basic, rudimentary exercises such as chest presses and rows. It is a better tool for developing core strength and while training off balance than dual anchor systems as a result, making it a better choice for beginners and people with poor core strength as it is a quicker way to develop the stability and core strength needed to progress to advanced level exercises. Single anchor systems are also more portable and compact by nature of their design. However, the basic design prevents you from being able to perform a lot of the more advanced exercises you can do once you get to that point, and doing exercises that involve full bodyweight suspension are virtually impossible. Also, the way it affects range of motion makes doing certain exercises, such as the chest flye, impossible to do with proper form.

Dual Anchor:

Dual anchor systems create a degree of added stability by nature of having the straps anchored to two separate points. To a beginner, this can have advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that it makes perfecting form for the exercises much easier. The main disadvantage is that the added stability doesn't challenge your core or stabilizer muscles in the same way as the single anchor when doing more basic, beginner level exercises. The main advantage the dual anchor has overall is that the basic design allows it to be used in a manner similar to gymnastics rings, so advanced users can do full bodyweight suspension exercises.

Which would I recommend?

Well, this depends on the user. Their fitness level, where they plan to use it, and whether they plan to use it as a supplement to a weight training regimen or as their primary form of resistance training are all factors to consider. In general, beginners benefit the most from a single anchor system because of how it gives you a much better core workout performing basic exercises, as do people who need the portability (road warriors, people who like to use it outdoors, etc...). However, if you rely on suspension training for your primary means of resistance training, you will eventually (and for many people, fairly soon) outgrow the advantage the single anchor system has as you move onto more advanced exercises that are best done on a dual anchor system and are very core intensive by nature. If you are already at a fairly high level of fitness, or just already have a very strong core, or you plan on using it as your primary means of resistance training, then I recommend going with a dual anchor system.

So, to sum it up: Beginners/out of shape people, people always on the go/outdoor exercisers, and people looking to use it as a supplement to a weight training regimen should buy single anchor systems. Advanced/highly fit users, beginners who are okay with having a steeper learning curve, and people looking to use it as their primary means of resistance training should get a dual anchor.
  • Gsdmom2
    Gsdmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't have one at home, but I do take a TRX and combo TRX/Cardio class 2 times per week. You Tube has some instructions on how to make one at home from items you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowes. I am 60, and I know what you mean about balance while doing lunges and squats