Post-workout protein shake

Options
So, for those of you who use a post-workout protein/recovery shake after lifting sessions, I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a timeframe after the workout that you find the shake is most effective? Do I really need to drink one immediately after my lifting session, or can I wait and hour or two?

2. What are some good ingredients for an effective recovery shake? Sidenote: I'm allergic to eggs.

Looking forward to seeing your opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat protein 30 min after you workout to help repair muscles.

As for what to put in them, I like protein powder, or peanut butter! My trainer also says cheese or chocolate milk is a viable protein snack for after working out.
  • khummel1966
    khummel1966 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1) According to my trainer - within 30 minutes of workout is the best time for protein and carbs. I usually take my shake and a banana in the car to eat on the way home from the gym. Keep a cooler in my vehicle for this purpose.

2) I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder. Look for one with 30 g of protein of more per serving. Recommended by my trainer.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    So, for those of you who use a post-workout protein/recovery shake after lifting sessions, I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a timeframe after the workout that you find the shake is most effective? Do I really need to drink one immediately after my lifting session, or can I wait and hour or two?

2. What are some good ingredients for an effective recovery shake? Sidenote: I'm allergic to eggs.

1. No. I sometimes wait up to an hour before i eat anything PWO.
    2. Whey Isolate and a fast digesting carb (fruit or juice)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

1. Muscle protein synthesis occurs at nearly the same rate over a 24 hour period post workout. There is no real timeframe to ingest a protein shake post workout. The "30" minute anabolic window doesn't exist, and you don't need to rush home or to your car to drink your protein shake after you workout.

2. Studies show as little as 20g or 30g of whey protein is sufficient for MPS post workout. However, if you are like me, you are probably hungry after a workout as well, and 20g of whey may not be satisfying enough lol. I like to throw oats and bananas in my protein shakes as well, but if I can have a full meal, I'd rather eat than drink a protein shake. However, I workout late, so its the easiest thing for me to make and consume once I get home. That being said, I also consume a third of my calories for the day after my workout (9pm).

As long as you are hitting your calories, macros and micros, meal timing is really irrelevant.
  • DeeRakko
    DeeRakko Posts: 1
    Options
    Dumb question... Should I log my post workout shake in myfitnesspal?

My experience is that you should have protein + sugar (like Gatorade), followed by a meal 30 mins later.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

1. Muscle protein synthesis occurs at nearly the same rate over a 24 hour period post workout. There is no real timeframe to ingest a protein shake post workout. The "30" minute anabolic window doesn't exist, and you don't need to rush home or to your car to drink your protein shake after you workout.

2. Studies show as little as 20g or 30g of whey protein is sufficient for MPS post workout. However, if you are like me, you are probably hungry after a workout as well, and 20g of whey may not be satisfying enough lol. I like to throw oats and bananas in my protein shakes as well, but if I can have a full meal, I'd rather eat than drink a protein shake. However, I workout late, so its the easiest thing for me to make and consume once I get home. That being said, I also consume a third of my calories for the day after my workout (9pm).

As long as you are hitting your calories, macros and micros, meal timing is really irrelevant.

Thank you for setting straight all the ridiculous 30 minute window people before you, I was gonna do it if you didn't
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Dumb question... Should I log my post workout shake in myfitnesspal?

My experience is that you should have protein + sugar (like Gatorade), followed by a meal 30 mins later.

Yes

You do not need a sugar with your protein source, if you want one, that's fine. You do not need to eat within a certain 30 minute time frame, eat when you're hungry.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1. No
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

2. See 1.

Side note: Do your trainers perpetuate these myths to sell you products, or are they really just ignorant?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    1. No
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

2. See 1.

Side note: Do your trainers perpetuate these myths to sell you products, or are they really just ignorant?

Usually a little of both
  • cardiothief
    Options
    Ridiculous myth or not... I tested myself over a month trying 2 different methods, keeping the same routine and found that, when I have my shake straight after my cycling session and a meal within an hour, I felt better and more recovered.
    I felt good going out the next day compare to when I didn't have a shake straight after.
    You need to try things for yourself and compare difference and decide what works for you...
  • janestimmel
    Options
    Actually timing does matter. The enzymes to replace muscle glycogen diminish by 66% after the first hour post exercise. If you want to recover quickly for the next day's training, you do need to hydrate and eat quickly. That is why a smoothie works well. You can customize it to post weight training with extra protein powder or post cardio with added healthy carbs. I also like to add glutamine in both smoothies to aid muscle recovery.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just eat my protein shake when I get home...simply because I'm starving by then :-) I have a few variations, all including one scoop of 30g protein. 1) protein, one banana, 2 T pb2; 2) protein, one banana, chocolate syrup, 2 T real peanut butter; 3) protein, one banana, strawberries (either frozen or fresh); 4) protein, banana, 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal, 2 T peanut butter, vanilla frozen yogurt and finally 5) protein, banana, chocolate almond or silk milk; with or without peanut butter
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Ridiculous myth or not... I tested myself over a month trying 2 different methods, keeping the same routine and found that, when I have my shake straight after my cycling session and a meal within an hour, I felt better and more recovered.
    I felt good going out the next day compare to when I didn't have a shake straight after.
    You need to try things for yourself and compare difference and decide what works for you...

The 30 minute window myth is in reference to an anabolic window where nutrients must be ingested in order for anabolism. Obviously if having a shake makes you feel better, then that's great, keep taking them, but don't confusing feeling better with increased muscle growth which is what the mythical anabolic window refers to.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Actually timing does matter. The enzymes to replace muscle glycogen diminish by 66% after the first hour post exercise. If you want to recover quickly for the next day's training, you do need to hydrate and eat quickly. That is why a smoothie works well. You can customize it to post weight training with extra protein powder or post cardio with added healthy carbs. I also like to add glutamine in both smoothies to aid muscle recovery.

Lol, every time you eat carbs and raise your blood glucose level, insulin production increases which triggers glycogen replenishment. All that is required for glycogen replenishment is insulin which is triggered by carb intake...at any time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

The topic was protein post lifting, but I like how you got a mention for glutamine in there. It's not like that's been proven to be completely ineffective or anything (sarcasm. See here http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7/table/T3).
  • AJ_G
    Options

The topic was protein post lifting, but I like how you got a mention for glutamine in there. It's not like that's been proven to be completely ineffective or anything (sarcasm. See here http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7/table/T3).

Supplemental glutamine would be physiologically beneficial [if] our intracellular muscle glutamine concentrations were depleted e.g. critically ill patients, burn victims, postoperative recovery, inflammatory bowel diseases, ect. are all instances where supplemental glutamine would be of great benefit. However, there are numerous studies that indicate no intracellular muscle glutamine depletion whatsoever following extensive/strenuous exercise in healthy adults, but even if we do experience an insignificant depletion of glutamine concentrations.... our bodys are still producing it within us, and we are still obtaining it through our diet.

[Endogenously] synthesized glutamine levels are double the concentration of any other amino acid within the human body. Dietary consumption of glutamine has been estimated to be around 5 grams per-day. Foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, beans, cabbage, spinach, parsley, beets, ect. are all common sources. A single 3-oz serving of meat contains around 3-4 grams of glutamine. Additionally, an average 50 gram protein shake is comprised of about 4.5+ grams of glutamine. So for a 150 lb individual at only 2 protein shakes a day, that's around 9-10 grams of supplemental glutamine.

So ultimately, we are looking at a [minimum] of around 15+ grams of dietary/supplementary glutamine intake per day, in addition to what is being produced endogenously. When considering the fact that our intracellular/intramuscular/plasma glutamine concentrations are so high [plasma glutamine concentrations are normally around 700 umol/L], I fail to find the logic behind supplementing an amino acid that is already present in such sufficient amounts.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    if you needed to eat within 30 minutes in order to get stronger, nature would have screwed up big time!
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I have mine not long after i leaver the gym. It consists of 1 scoop of Whey, 2 cups of Rice Milk and also glutamine and Creatine mixed in as well.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Supplemental glutamine would be physiologically beneficial [if] our intracellular muscle glutamine concentrations were depleted e.g. critically ill patients, burn victims, postoperative recovery, inflammatory bowel diseases, ect. are all instances where supplemental glutamine would be of great benefit. However, there are numerous studies that indicate no intracellular muscle glutamine depletion whatsoever following extensive/strenuous exercise in healthy adults, but even if we do experience an insignificant depletion of glutamine concentrations.... our bodys are still producing it within us, and we are still obtaining it through our diet.

[Endogenously] synthesized glutamine levels are double the concentration of any other amino acid within the human body. Dietary consumption of glutamine has been estimated to be around 5 grams per-day. Foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, beans, cabbage, spinach, parsley, beets, ect. are all common sources. A single 3-oz serving of meat contains around 3-4 grams of glutamine. Additionally, an average 50 gram protein shake is comprised of about 4.5+ grams of glutamine. So for a 150 lb individual at only 2 protein shakes a day, that's around 9-10 grams of supplemental glutamine.

So ultimately, we are looking at a [minimum] of around 15+ grams of dietary/supplementary glutamine intake per day, in addition to what is being produced endogenously. When considering the fact that our intracellular/intramuscular/plasma glutamine concentrations are so high [plasma glutamine concentrations are normally around 700 umol/L], I fail to find the logic behind supplementing an amino acid that is already present in such sufficient amounts.

Yes. Everything AJ_G said. EVERYTHING!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat mine when I get home. I use protein powder, milk, a low carb yogurt, and frozen berries or a banana as well as ice. It makes a massive amount and I love it! Its usually around 300 calories but it does fill me up and I look forward to it. My husband was an "ice cream everyday" person and now he rarely has it after switching to a shake made this way. Its cold, creamy, and tastes pretty good.