I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND HAVE NO MONEY!

Options
2»

Replies

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Broke graduate student here... dried beans and lentils, frozen veggies, eggs, fish (frozen or fresh), oatmeal, spices (to make those frozen veggies and dried beans taste yummy)... these are the main staples in my diet. If I'm really careful and in a bind, I can get by on $20/week spent on food.

edited to add: canned tuna. Forgot about that one.

THS!!! plus a crock pot!
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cook a big pot of something healthy that would last you a few days too. My daughter taught me how to eat this way. Example: Make a pot of northern beans (or whatever beans you like) add bell peppers, celery, onions.... ham.... Then properly store the leftovers in a way tht all you need to do is bring them out and reheat during the week. You can get inventive and make other one dish meals. My grocery bill has decreased and I eat real healthy. :) This also gives you the control to add whatever vegetables and meat to your pot of whatever (stews, beans, rice with veggies, etc..)..... I for the most part use fresh ingredients too... Low budget meals on a fly.
  • LosingItInDenver
    Options
    They're tasty, but the extra fiber comes from chicory root, which humans can't digest. Instead of feeling full, you feel bloated and gassy.

What source do you have on this? Everything I've seen about chicory root fiber indicates that it's fine, but that people can consume too much of it (because it doesnt' have the bulk of traditional forms of fiber.)
    http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=19846&news_iv_ctrl=0&abbr=pr_hf_
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honey I've been there done that. I used soup cans for weights before. I lost a ton of weight off of canned fruits and vegetables (that was it) and walking 2 miles (at a minimum) a day. I was in college so I walked to campus and back for class. You do not need to buy fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Take a B12 supplement to help you feel full and give you more energy and call it a day. A head of lettuce is about a buck twenty if you feel like buying it, but by the time you buy all the salad accessories the nutritional value goes down and so does your wallet so unless you're eating the lettuce raw, just leave it alone. When I say a ton of weight 60 lbs in 3 months. I didn't feel hungry at all. The most important thing I did and I almost forgot to mention it was, when I did feel hungry or wanted something sweet I ate a spoonful of peanut butter -AND LEFT THE KITCHEN IMMEDIATELY. Bonne Chance -Petrina
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Become Homeless. A lot of those dudes are ripped! They can't afford food either.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If your looking for workouts on a budget - borrow workout videos from your local library or find them on YouTube.
  • ghost15026
    ghost15026 Posts: 80
    Options
    Proper diet and exercise aren't any more expensive than a crappy diet and lack of exercise. If anything, I spend less now than I did when I ate junk.

Read "You are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren should you have the $13 for it. Skip the fitness equipment and use household items and train like Spec Ops ;) My workout uses some dumbbell weights laying around, backpacks, chairs, and a wall. Running is free except for treadwear on your shoes. Not much to it.

Not buying processed foods will save a ton of money. Just buy regular eggs (none of the free-roaming stuff), beans, and nuts for protein and whole wheat bread (fiber/carbs). Cook - no fast food.

The more expensive grocery items would be meats like chicken breast, beef, and turkey. Consider buying whole chickens or turkeys instead. When you figure the price/pound you still often come out ahead even if you are focused on just eating the breast portions. Dark meat isn't the end of the world and you can mix it up with the other portions.

Raw, uncut veggies and fruits aren't terribly expensive, either. Learn about cooking large portions that you can freeze and unfreeze later for meals.

If you don't drink water, now would be a good time to start. A water filter may be a good investment.
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Yup, by the end of the month I'm down to eating rice and beans. Egss and chicken thighs are pretty cheap too.
  • gracieloo8
    gracieloo8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it's so ironic that eating less when dieting, actually results in spending more. I particularly have this problem because I am obsessed with eating everything organic because cancer runs in my family, and I'm petrified of eating food overloaded with toxins. Organic produce is literally at LEAST twice the amount of regular produce.

But anyways, the fact that you are involved in an online forum makes me assume that you spend a lot of the time on the computer already. There's tons of scams to make money online, but if you're interested in making some legit extra spending cash (I usually make around $300 extra a week), just shoot me a message and I can try to help. Hope I can help!