Post Surgery weight gain :(

Options
Hi!!

I have been trying this site for a little over a week and have finally decided to introduce myself in hopes of finding some support and encouragement out there.

In the past year I had 2 shoulders surgeries and as a result of all the lack of activity and meds gained a lovely 60 lbs. :( I have manged to loss about 10 lbs. but as I am approching 30 I am finding it is much harder to loss weight now then what it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

I hope there are others out there that have maybe gone through similar times and can share with me what they have found to be the most helpful and work for them.

THank s for reading and sharing!!

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed and all I could do was watch what I ate until I could exercise again. Even then it was only walking for the longest time.
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out as well and went through the exact same thing.
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just had shunt surgery on my back 7 weeks ago, also have a disc removed from neck 2 years ago. Put on nearly two stone due to lack on exercise and meds. I'm 5 weeks started on this and losing it slowly but its the small changes that are really helping. Walking is all I can do at the moment but up to an hour to an hour and a half a day now :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm here because of the weight I gained after having 6 screws put in my spine. It's a tough journey but you can do it.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been there! Last November I injured my hip and I had surgery in April. I definitely gained some weight in those 6 months (and the weeks following surgery). I'm on the mend now. Even more than the weight gain, I found I was really de-conditioned from forced inactivity for so long.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I had two 4 layer neck fusion surgeries in 13 months. All said and done, I ended up with 1 bracket, 2 rods, 12 clamps and 22 screws in my neck. It took it's toll on me and I gained some weight and ended up being the heaviest I have ever been in my life. The US Military even told me after that second surgery I couldn't do my job anymore and they forced me to retire. I decided to show those quacks they had no idea what they were talking about and vowed to get into better shape than I was hen I was active duty. I started with Insanity. Probably not the easiest choice, but I struggled through it and finished it after two attempts. I have since also done Les Mills Pump, Les Mills Combat, Body Beast and I'm doing T-25 now. I am in some very good shape and I can honestly tell those Military "doctors" to KMA. Long story short: YOU CAN DO IT!! If you put your mind to doing it, and take "can't" out of it, you can accomplish anything!! Feel free to add me if you want.
    **Dale**
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had brain surgery about 5 months ago. I was quite debilitated for about 5 months prior to the surgery, so I had already been so dead set on not gaining weight after having lost 50 pounds the year before that I just kept logging every day. I had decided to stop losing even though I only had 2 pounds til goal and eat at my maintenance calories. Anyhow, by the time I had my surgery I was really good at sticking to my calorie goals and didn't gain any weight the first 4 weeks post op because my appetite was on the weak side (but I was eating lots of calorie dense foods as we had friends and family bringing us all kinds of meals). The following couple of months I managed to put on about 6 pounds, but have fluctuated sometimes up to 9 pounds over my lowest weight before surgery. I am still healing so I am still eating at maintenance calories, but ever since 3 weeks post op I started walking a couple of miles a few days per week. By 6 weeks post op I was throwing in some running intervals and light lifting. By 3 months post op I did a 5k race. Don't let something like this get in your way. You can lose this weight and learn tools on how to not let your gain get out of control after a surgery or some other difficult life event.
  • ababiejbear
    Options
    Although bitter sweet it's nice to know their are others out there going through the same thing that can be good at giving advice and support when needed. Thanks you all for sharing!
  • annamalder55
    annamalder55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too......had third surgery on left shoulder 7weeks ago so I completely understand. Initially looking at food intake and walking then back to the gym when physio says its ok.
    Good luck to you and enjoy your journey :flowerforyou:
  • missmarla73
    missmarla73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in March 2012, and started walking 4 miles a day, as a way to distract myself from the nicotine cravings... then in June 2012 I broke my ankle while walking. Needless to say, I was up 50 lbs within a year, and have slowly started back to exercising regularly and counting calories. MFP has really helped make me accountable!
  • gcadmes
    gcadmes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi ababiejbear,

Well the good news for you is that you are still young, which I will touch on a little later in my reply...

I too am recovering from my 2nd shoulder surgery. First surgery was a rotator cuff tear/repair 17 years ago, my most recent shoulder surgery was for a Type II Labrum tear (9/12/2012). With my first surgery, I was 30 years old and very overweight, about 280lbs. Six months later I was pushing 320lbs, and was cleared to go to the gym. (Obviously I wasn't that active before surgery...). I sulked for about two months before actually hitting the gym hard.

So what's the good news? Your youth is on your side and you have a window of opportunity to get the weight off before you hit 40+. Thirty years of age is still considered young, trust me. With hindsight, you'll be able to say that one day when you reach 40+.

Anyway, I went on to lose 140 lbs in 5 months. I lost weight so fast I was buying new clothes weekly. I reached my goal weight of 180 (5'10"), and maintained that weight until about 2008. (after kids =))

Fast forward to my 2nd surgery... before surgery I weighed 250lbs and two weeks ago I weighed 275lbs. So I've gained 25lbs in 11 months. Today I weighed in this morning at 260lbs. What I am trying to convey to you is, if you continue to make the right food choices, you will reach your goal weight, which I'm sure you already knew that. After your cleared to go to the gym, the weight will come off even faster for you.

I'm 46 now and I don't' expect to reach my goal weight of 175lbs by 2/1/2014. Instead, it might take me 3 extra months, but I'm okay with that, and so is my family.

Hang in there, you'll be surprised how fast you can bounce back from shoulder surgery at your age. Just to try to do anything too early or your'll jeopardize your expected range of motion. In other words, don't worry so much about the weight you have gained, because you will be able to get that off again....in due time. Patience...

Adding you, please feel free to add me.
  • hlp15
    hlp15 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had surgery at the end of July. I could not workout for 6 weeks. I am now back to jogging, power walking, strength training three
    times a week and eating 1200 calories a day. However, I continue to gain weight. I have gained 7lbs in 1 month. It's not fluctuating, the number just gives up. I took a water pill and my weight dropped 3 lbs for one day and shot right back up. Not understanding the weight gain. Thoughts?