Peanut butter substitute

Options
elvahernandez925
elvahernandez925 Posts: 4 Member
I'm new to this site and I am really enjoying it. My wonderful niece Lisa suggested I join and I'm glad I did. Mu questions is: is there a PP substitute out there I can use. Peanut butter is high in fat so I'm looking for one that is healthy and less caloric. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    PB2. It's fantastic!
  • elvahernandez925
    elvahernandez925 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does it taste like PP?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    PB2 works but it's not quite the same taste or texture since it is using water and not oil. I just go for regular natural PB. It may be high in fat but it's good fats
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find PB2 revolting, frankly. Just use peanut butter, a little more sparingly if you're that worried about the fat.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    pb2 or I think jif makes a less fat PB. However, that being said did you know PB has more antioxidants than blueberries? FYI, the fat in PB is a good fat. PB2 is dried peanuts that you reconstitute in water. Some people like it. I think it is good for mixing in shakes, but not on its own.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of PB2, I find that I eat soooo much peanut butter that occasionally replacing it with PB2 helps keep my calorie amount in check. But don't cut out Peanut butter completely :)
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    PB2. It's fantastic!

What she said! Delicious...
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    PB2. It's AMAZING! So glad it exists!
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Peanut flour! Tastes just like PB2 without the added sugar and has 16 g protein per 1/4 cup. Far less expensive than PB2 as well. I purchased mine from iherb.com (protein plus peanut flour). You can purchase it from byrdmill.com. Great stuff to add into smoothies, yogurt, use for baking, etc.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I need to eat regular PB to get my calories up (still losing at 1450 cals a day). Trying to get closer to maintenance. Maybe just use regular peanut butter, unless you eat it nearly everyday, then I can see your point.

Maybe just go to the grocery store and see what your lower fat options are? then you can read labels and compare youself and get one you think is appropriate for you or closer to the goals you want :smile:
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    PB2 is that powdered stuff....?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of PB2, I eat freshly ground almond butter. Mmmmmmmmhmmmmm!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Never tried PB2 but I prefer natural peanut butter. Measure it out and walk away!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are using it for and/or why you need it substituted. Almond butter and Hazelnut butter are simply amazing, and I use Tahini (sesame seed butter) to sub for peanut butter in more savory dishes, like a thai peanut dipping sauce, etc. If you are looking to get rid of the fat and not just peanuts, then I don't really know!
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Don't know if you are near a Trader Joe's, they have a product called "Better n Peanut Butter" and it is PB with reduced fat. Tastes like the inside of a Reese peanut butter cup (to me). Much lower calories but so tasty I can't keep it in the house or I'll over indulge in it. Yum.
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The walmart I go to has a zero calorie Peanut Spread and when I am hungry and don't have many calories I will use it. Not as good as Jiff, kind of fluffy. I like Jiff much better :-)

Its called: Walden Farms Peanut Spread
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat natural peanut butter and work it into my calories. It may be high in fat but like others have said, it's good fats! If you're really worried about calories there are reduced fat peanut butters out there it's just a case of finding them. But look at the ingredients list and compare it to natural and you'll see there are far more in the reduced than natural.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You're a genius, I never thought of that. I hate spending $5 on a jar of PB2
  • NurseElka
    NurseElka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on Just Great Stuff Organic Powdered Peanut Butter. Just add water and 1 splenda and it tastes just like peanut butter and only 45 calories.
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    Just go for the real thing...Smucker's, it only has two ingredients, which are salt and peanuts. Yes it has fat, but it's the good kind, you can eat just about everything, in moderation.