Sports Drinks

Options
After a hard cardio workout for an hour and burn approx 600 calories, is it better to drink straight water or a sports drink like Powerade or Gatorade?

I know whenever I get a body massage they want you to drink water to help flush toxins out of your muscles but I see athletes and people in the gym drinking the sports drinks to help replenish their muscles. I typically just drink water but I usually eat my last meal of the day shortly after working out in the evening, so I am not sure if the sports drinks is necessary. Thanks!

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use sports drinks to keep me going during 6 mile+ runs. I've never used one at the gym.
    If, as you say, you eat after the gym then a sports drink probably isn' t necessary.
    Some may claim that salts need to be replenished after sweating, but I prefer cheese or bacon for this!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of sports drink are unnessecary for what most people are doing at the gym. However, they have their place. I usually have one after a long run and I have a slight headache, which is lack of electrolites, because as soon as the sugar gets in my blood the headache goes away. Also, on a day like today. I ran at lunch, and will practice softball this evening for several hours. I'll probably have one on the way home so I don't bonk during practice.

If the only reason I think you might need a sports drinks is everyone else is having them...then you probably should just stick with water. However, if you're feeling rundown and dehydrated...might be something to look at.
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to know when I get different opinions...I have a trainer friend who uses shakeology and told me to use those and the sound like what would be good to do, but I also want a real meal, I can't stand substituting shakes.
    What about vitamin water?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    a lot of the time those athletes are drinking water out of a cup or container with a gatorade logo. if you're working out for longer than an hour, a sports drink can be a good idea but still usually isn't needed. but if you prefer sports drinks over water, go ahead and drink them as they won't hurt you.

ETA: don't bother with shakeology. way overpriced and way overpromoted. and vitamin water is the same as any other sports drink, no better, no worse
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I love powerade zero.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.