Counting Calories Question

Options
So with my current job I have to eat out alot (job is over beginning of Oct.). Anyway my question is how do I calculate the calories I've eaten when we stop for food at a small diner or restraunt that doesn't have the informaiton??

For instance today I had some shimp and fries. No idea how to figure that out.

Finally when cooking at home what's the best way to figure out the calories of your homemade meals? I've noticed that normally they are lower than restraunt versions of the same dish.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• gupton11
    Options
    You can add your recipes to MFP, when I go to non chain restaurants like a diner i try to capture the individual ingredients. It's sorta a crap shoot you should always over estimate the amount of calories you've eaten and under estimate the amount of calories you've burned.

Clicking the "Recipes" link under the "Food" tab will take you to an area where you can enter in your own recipes. Once you create a recipe, you'll be able to add it from this tab to your diary.
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I agree - I look for something similiar from another restaurant. Comparable to what you had.
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    try dotysweightzone.com this use thru weigh watchers but it also gives calories/fat/fiber, I find it very helpful.
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I would estimate based on finding something similar. Remember at diners and other restaurants...usually even veggies are cooked in butter and/or oil. So, if you really want to be smart when eating out, get the veggies and maybe ask for them just steamed (no butter/oil). For example, one of my favorite places is Texas Roadhouse. I get the veggie platter. I get a side salad (no cheese and light Ranch on the side), mixed veggies (and I ask for NO butter, just plain), sweet potato (just brown sugar, on the side) and green beans. Then, I end up taking some of it home with me. So, just be smart about it! Good luck on your journey...and on your new job!