I dont know what to do

Options
I've been at a plateau now going on 30 days.. I have tried different things, I am afraid now what to do next. I might be eating under my MFP numbers. but not by much.

Fact - my tdee is 2500 (approx), my bmr is 2100 (approx). MFP says i should eat 1,700 calories a day. I might have been below that a few times, on same says maybe 1600, some days 1800, some days about 1400.

I am drinking about 3 glasses of water a day and about 3-4 fruits, and try to keep sodium below 1800, sometimes i am 1000, sometimes i am 2300, a couple days i was 2500 sodium.

I have done a bit of exercise, but still the number is sitting at the same number, up or down within the same 2 pounds. I am 49% overweight. I started this MFP diet 6 weeks ago and lost about 28 pounds for the first month, and then, i stopped.

Would upping my calories to 1700 to 1800 help? i heard that is a trick some of you use, to go on maintenance calories. I am scared that now that would mean me going back to my old fattening habits. I dont want to experiment, and make myself worse,, but i dont know what to do and im getting desperate.

6 weeks ago i went to the doctor and because i have slight blood pressure, i am taking a water pill. I wonder if the water pill is making me dehydrated and working against my body.

do i need to go out and eat a bunch of tacos?? pizza??? what??? 30 days on a plateau is not right. Help please!!!!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help. Brisk walking if nothing else. Are measuring and weighing all your food? With a lot to lose you should be losing on the calories you say you're eating. When you are obese the calculators aren't really right for BMR because you don't need to eat extra to feed your fat. You want to maintain as much lean body mass as you can while losing the fat so keeping your muscles healthy is important.

Exercise, drink a lot more water than 3 glasses and concentrate on your protein macros.

Opening your food diary would help as well for suggestions.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? Do you use a digital scale? The most common explanation is underestimating calories.

Eating more calories won't help, for obvious reasons.

Check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=eating+more+than+you+think
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am eyeballing my food choices, i dont have a food scale (i will get one shortly).

I am recording everytihng i am eating and drinking.

I could increase my water consumption and exerices, however,,,

would eating more calories (like at maintenance level) like around 1900 be a good idea?) so that my body doesn't think it is starving.

Or maybe i am over-estimating my calories and maybe i have been on under 1200 calories..

maybe i need to go on a fast for a few days? or maybe do protein drinks? i dont want to do some crazy diet, but maybe i need to do something way different, but not sure what. im scared to experimenting because i am doing well by eating good choices of food.

i dont know if i can trust my food diary here because what if i have been under and over estaimating my food choices?

im about to go out and get some tacos and pizza because i've been eating what i thought were good choices and the scale has not moved.

this is not right - 30 days at the same weight does not seem right. something is wrong.

wonder if its the water pill working against me, but i have a little high blood pressure, i have a doc appt next week. i might have to make an appt with the nutritionist there too.
  • MaryT233
    MaryT233 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am eyeballing my food choices, i dont have a food scale (i will get one shortly).

That is very likely the solution.
    I could increase my water consumption and exerices, however,,,

Water intake will not make a significant difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Exercise is good.
    would eating more calories (like at maintenance level) like around 1900 be a good idea?) so that my body doesn't think it is starving.

No, you probably are doing that now, that is what a plateau is.
    Or maybe i am over-estimating my calories and maybe i have been on under 1200 calories..

No. If that were true you would be losing weight.
    maybe i need to go on a fast for a few days? or maybe do protein drinks? i dont want to do some crazy diet, but maybe i need to do something way different, but not sure what. im scared to experimenting because i am doing well by eating good choices of food.

Don't overthink it. Get a scale, weigh everything, stay at your calories, see how that goes for a month or so.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Hi - you can see my food diary if that would give some clue. thank you kindly!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There is no way you are eating what you are logging and not losing any weight at all. It just isn't physically possible. Going out for pizza and tacos isn't going to solve the problem.

Get a food scale, use measuring cups and log everything honestly. You're under eating if you're eating what you log so you could increase your calories most days but you'd need to be sure it's accurate and definitely get moving with some exercise.
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. First month I lost 13 pounds. Lost only 7 pounds over the next 9 months. I was eating what I thought was the right foods and at a calorie deficit. I was also running/walking/elliptical 30 minutes a day, everyday. I finally gave up and admitted that I needed help with nutrition (instead of doing it on my own). By seeking out a nutritionist, I was able to eat correctly for my body and lose the weight safely. I have lost 40 pounds in less than 4 months. What I am trying to say, is that weight loss is not easy, and sometimes, we just need a little help.

I wish you well for all that you may try!
  • benjaminbiro
    benjaminbiro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wants to lose fat

doesnt have a scale

not sure if serious
  • lydian8
    lydian8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You sound really panicked and frustrated. I get it. You've worked hard to get here and you don't want to mess it up. The others talking here are right. Eyeballing your food is not helping you at all. I was never an advocate of weighing and measuring. I thought it was too restrictive. Then one day I wanted to see what a cup of something amounted to, and then I wanted to see an ounce of something, then a tablespoon. I was so shocked by how far off I was. It's not really a being stupid thing or even a crazed overeater. Advertising, menus, TV, all that stuff shows us images of portions that are way too big. Even Special K cereal commercials show amounts larger than a single serving in ads.

Now, I weigh everything. I bet if you do just that for a time, you'll see a change.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you are just eyeballing your food, no way are you tracking correctly. You must weigh your food, even measuring cups cannot be trusted. The scale is your best weapon to lose weight. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    wants to lose fat

doesnt have a scale

not sure if serious

I have a weight scale that i stand on, if thats what you mean, but i haven't gone out to buy a food scale.

I am serious. so serious that i gave up my fave foods all this time.

Why are you skeptical?
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Ok i am going to do this thru next week to see what happens -

will go get a food scale, and will like a mad scientist weight and measure everything... and wont eat/drink something that i cannot weight/measure. (like i will pick an orange over a chicken salad).

I will be a "mad scientist" and see what happens.

grrr. i wont give up. i cant go back to eating bad food again, it will make me sick . and im not going to give up.

Will let you all know.. thank you kindly!

If someone would peep in my food diary, if those were accurate measures of food, would i have lost any weight this month? ((it is possible that i think i am writing the correct things down, but maybe i am making a mistake))).
  • eileen0515
    Options
    Again, a food scale is critical. Without it, no one can help you by looking at your diary. Your diary is incorrect, who knows how many calories you are eating, you certainly don't.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Again, a food scale is critical. Without it, no one can help you by looking at your diary. Your diary is incorrect, who knows how many calories you are eating, you certainly don't.

then i wasted all this time!!!!! :(:(
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Ok i am going to do this thru next week to see what happens -

will go get a food scale, and will like a mad scientist weight and measure everything... and wont eat/drink something that i cannot weight/measure. (like i will pick an orange over a chicken salad).

I will be a "mad scientist" and see what happens.

grrr. i wont give up. i cant go back to eating bad food again, it will make me sick . and im not going to give up.

Will let you all know.. thank you kindly!

If someone would peep in my food diary, if those were accurate measures of food, would i have lost any weight this month? ((it is possible that i think i am writing the correct things down, but maybe i am making a mistake))).

You can weigh chicken salad, just make it yourself. Weigh the chicken, weigh the lettuce, weigh/measure any dressing or oils you use too.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You started 6 weeks ago. Lost 27 lbs your first month. Has been on a plateau for 30 days. ?? The numbers do not add up. Either you lost 27 lbs in 2 weeks, or you have been at the same weight for 2 weeks.

If dr put you on water pills 6 weeks ago, there is some of your weight loss in the beginning.
    You are not weighing and measuring food, so you are most likely eating more than you think you are, otherwise you would still be losing.

This is a very long process. It will not happen overnight. It will not happen in a couple of months. After the initial big loss, you will be doing great to lose 4-6 pounds per month. If you are expecting faster than that, you will get frustrated and give up when your weight loss slows.

Buy scales. Weigh and measure food accurately. Log EVERYTHING. Exercise moderately and consistently. Drink your water.

Be calm and patient.
  • eileen0515
    Options
    Great! It really does become second nature, to weigh your food.
  • eileen0515
    Options
    No you have not wasted your time. You have lost a significant amount of weight, good for you. You did ask for help.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    You started 6 weeks ago. Lost 27 lbs your first month. Has been on a plateau for 30 days. ?? The numbers do not add up. Either you lost 27 lbs in 2 weeks, or you have been at the same weight for 2 weeks.

If dr put you on water pills 6 weeks ago, there is some of your weight loss in the beginning.
    You are not weighing and measuring food, so you are most likely eating more than you think you are, otherwise you would still be losing.

This is a very long process. It will not happen overnight. It will not happen in a couple of months. After the initial big loss, you will be doing great to lose 4-6 pounds per month. If you are expecting faster than that, you will get frustrated and give up when your weight loss slows.

Buy scales. Weigh and measure food accurately. Log EVERYTHING. Exercise moderately and consistently. Drink your water.

Be calm and patient.

hmmmm.... i started this weight loss May 30. I have been weighing myself every morning on my medical scale here at home. i was losing about 2-3 pounds a day for 2 -3 weeks, then about 30 days ago, i have been at a standstill - the same weight up or down a pound or ounces but not going below a particular number. ok i am stuck at 333. i have gone from 333 to 335 to 332 to 331, to 331.6 to 333 and now tonight the scale says 336 so that means i will be 334 in the morning. :(:( it has fluctuated from 331 to 335 to 333.3 and is pretty much stuck at 333.4 pounds. i am getting worried..

but i will do what some nice people said earlier - start to weigh and measure everything. i haven't done that yet. i will this week. i hope i have good news. the scale is telling me what i am currently doing is not working :(:(