What macro-nutrient breakdown do you use?

Options
I am curious what seems to work best for other people. I've played around with different ratios over the years and found that a 40/40/20 seems to work best for me.

Replies

• Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    40/30/30
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    30 carb, 35 protein, 35 fat.
    This translates to 185c, 214p, 95g fat.

Though usually I'm under in carbs and over on fat. In reality I'm more like 25 carb, 40 fat.

This combination seems to work best for cardio endurance, strength and recovery, and fat loss.

YMMV obviously.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    30P/45C/25F
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There is no ratio that is right for everyone. Your body does not work on ratios, it works on sufficient macronutrient mass per body weight. Calculate your protein (.82g per lb of body weight) and your fat (.4g per lb of body weight) and fill the rest with carbs. This is going to be a different percentage for everybody.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP has it set at. I was wondering this, though. I tend to think I need more protein. I like to have a higher in protein than carbs breakfast. Cereal and milk...doesn't cut it for me.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on overall calories in and sodium. If anyone has suggestions, ideas, etc., please message me. I have been trying to figure out if I should change some of my settings.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    the 90's called people. They want their nutritional paradigm back. Ratios are out. Eating for bodymass is in. Thus the reason why there are still questions on this and where to start and why this or that is happening or doesn't happen. If you're not eating enough protein then fat for your mass your ratio is moot. .8 grams per lb of lean body mass at least. Most people are still having trouble getting 100 grams around here.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    40/30/30. And in answer to TheFitnessTut, if you are eating the correct amount for your bodyweight, then the ratios will result in appropriate levels. By body mass, I should be eating at least 130 g protein. By ratio, I eat about 150g of protein. Funny how math seems to work like that.
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP has it set at 55c/30f/15p. Is that not correct?
  • digyan
    digyan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Body weight lb / g of protein. Carb and fat mix and match for best feeling or performance. 40p ratio is good ballpark for people trying to lose weight, since it generally approximates body weight lb / g of protein. For people trying to maintain or gain weight, it's overgenerous on protein by 10-15%, not that more protein hurts, but more icecream is better.
  • vertor81
    vertor81 Posts: 17
    Options
    50c/30p/20f however this is hart to obtain and usually I end up with 50c 20-25p and 25-30f
    I tried 40/40/20 and as a result I almost fell down from my bike once because all of the sudden I lost all energy and had still 10 km to go to get home.
    From what I`ve read 40/40/20 is good if you are not exercising to much. Then the more you train the more % should go to carbs.
    One can also assume that he should eat 1g protein per lbs and fill the rest with carbs and fat while keeping the later as low as possible.

As for eating protein I don`t know how people manage to get enough I manage 150-170 per day as a max and should eat by mass around 190. Usually it is somewhere between 120-150