Greek Yogurt

Options
What is the big hype about with Greek yogurt?? It has more calories then regular yogurt. So what's so special about it?!

Replies

• mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    The protein mostly. People are always looking for good quick sources of protein.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    The texture and it has a bit more protein in it. I make my own yogurt and turn half of it into greek yogurt (meaning I just strain it for a few hours) to use in recipes as a sub for cream cheese, mascarpone, and as a base for a lot of dips. Then I use the other half as a snack food and a sub for heavy cream, buttermilk, and sour cream. I like to make my own though, because with the hype, a lot of companies just end up adding more gelatin or gelatin type product to make it appear thicker. Which is fine I guess, but it doesn't have the same thick, whipped texture that real greek yogurt has.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Protein ... Plus it's thicker (because it's strained), so it can be more pschologically satisfying, becuase it's "dessert-like" ...

EDIT: FAGE doesn't have additives or thickening agents...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What is the big hype about with Greek yogurt?? It has more calories then regular yogurt. So what's so special about it?!

Plain greek yogurt is an amazing substitute for oil in baking. Try it, taste it, love it.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    It's less bitter and creamier, more like sour cream, and a great source of protein.
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    As other's have said;
    thicker texture (consistency of sour cream)
    more protein (more is always better)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I like the plain Fage 2%. In addition to being higher in protein I think it's lower in carbs due to the whey being reduced. But for me it's about texture. Some Greek yogurt with sliced strawberries and a couple Tbsp of granola plus a bit of stevia ... That's a great way to start the day.

By the way, if you drain it long enough it becomes rather like cream cheese in texture which opens up additional culinary possibilities.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I do not eat ones with additives. Also, the lowfat varieties are sweeter than the nonfat ones. I like the thick and cream texture. And it is more filling.
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    well, Greek yogurt has more protein and if you get the plain kind, it has less sugar than the fruited, sweetened kind. And you can add sweetener of your choice and fruit to your liking.:wink:
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I believe its healthier because of its lower fat and higher protein content.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    A lot of things. There's a lot more to dieting than the calories on the label. Looking at Fage yogurt, for that cup of nonfat plain yogurt, it has a lot less sugar and like twice the protein. Protein gives you more satiety...so you could easily eat 100 calories of Fage but feel more full for longer than with, say, Dannon.

I love the thickness and creaminess, which also makes it great for cooking and garnishing dishes. Truly like sour cream. Also regular yogurt is too tart for me. With Greek yogurt, I'm happy adding just plain whole fruit,, don't need sugar to overcome the tartness. but some people like tart yogurt and the thinner texture, so really, go with what makes you feel more satisfied. Because that's what will keep you going, if you don'f feeli like you're sacrificing all the time and eating stuff you'd rather not.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

It's not Hype it's Facts...

Probiotics
    Less sugar, sodium, carbohydrates
    ~2x the Protein

** http://dfwunleashed.com/food-face-off-2-greek-yogurt-vs-low-fat-yogurt/

** http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html

:bigsmile:
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I agree about the more protein and thickness of the yogurt. I love it!

I wanted to add that I buy the 0% Fage and strain it. It makes incredible tzatziki dip or sauce! Add grated cucumbers, lemon juice, fresh dill, kosher salt and pepper...oh wow! Awesome stuff and low calories! :heart:
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In addition, since it's thicker, it can be used in so many recipes! Take some and mix in a package of dry onion soup - BAM! - dip for your veggies that is way lower in calories than other dips. I also use it in my recipe for protein pancakes. The reason that everyone loves the double protein is because protein is what signals the brain that you are full and prevents overeating:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037057_protein_satiety_overeating.html
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's got more protein but typically has less calcium than regular yogurts.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's a huge variety of yoghurt, both Greek and regular, low-fat, no-fat, sweetened, flavoured etc You need to look at the labels on each to check for the nutritional info. My personal faves are 0% or 2% Fage natural Greek.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt, and since I can't find lf variations here, I eat the normal, original, greek yogurt, I always try to fit it into my day if I can.

It fills me up, it's tasty with a bit of sweetener and some fruit and it's great as a "dessert" if I add sweetener and plain powder cocoa... It tastes like pudding!
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you! It doesn't even have that much protein...5 grams per 100 grams!? I prefer natural Indian yoghurt, it's muccch lower in calories.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It's just amazing. It's my daily treat. I love it.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's damn good. Gluten free (I have celiac) and I think the texture is better than normal yogurt. I used it for baking as someone mentioned above as well. I have a chicken recipe that will melt in your mouth.