Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Chobani is like eating thick solid cheesecake. zero fat, 14g protein and only 140cals per pot. I drive out of my way to find a supermarket that sells it. Noms!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just prefer the texture.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    Protein! Fills me up WAY more than regular yogurt! Greek yogurt is my favorite!
  • theplumgirl
    Options
    And don't forget the probiotic factor. More cultures in your yoghurt = healthy digestive/gut health/immunse system function.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a Chobani freak. I love that stuff...so delicious. http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2013/03/04/greek-yogurt-biscuits/ Give these a shot. So freaking good :heart: Personally I got about 13 biscuits out of the recipe and they were about 105 calories per one. Can't go wrong with that!
  • sdoubleyouv
    sdoubleyouv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's damn good. Gluten free (I have celiac) and I think the texture is better than normal yogurt. I used it for baking as someone mentioned above as well. I have a chicken recipe that will melt in your mouth.

Care to share that chicken recipe?
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I make a greek yogurt parfait. I add oatmeal & either blueberries, strawberries or raspberries and put in in the frige for a couple of hours...yummy!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I find it tastes completely different from regular yogurt in a way I prefer. It's not nearly as sweet, though it does feel pretty chalky, almost like it has alum in it. That doesn't bother me. Plus the calorie increase is sometimes just in the flavored versions with the added fruit and syrup: Fage 0% is 100 calories for 6oz while the kind with cherries is 130 calories for the same amount.

Pretty much you're not cutting that many (if any) calories, but each calorie comes with more nutrition. (I know calories don't actually carry calories, it's just a turn of phrase).
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like it. I get the non fat plain kind and use it in smoothies, as mayo, sour cream etc. I'll eat it plain or with stuff in it like protein powder, home made jam, maple syrup, granola . . .
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    F*&$ all the no-fat/low-fat garbage. You haven't had good greek yogurt until you try full fat whole milk plain greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage. 1 serving of that and you feel stuffed and stay full for a very long time and I usually only need about 1/2 a serving in a sitting. I use it in cooking and as a snack, adding in my own fruit or other flavors. Cinnamon and a dab of honey is one of my favorites lately. When I first tried greek yogurts they were mostly the low fat kind that fills the majority of the shelves and it took a while to get used to the tart flavor. You don't get that as strong with full fat version, especially the Fage brand. Getting plain yogurt you should only be getting the natural occuring lactose sugar from the milk which isn't quickly absorbed like all the added sugars in the flavored kind.
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE Greek yogurt and will never eat regular yogurt again. Besides it being full of protein, the yogurt is thicker and the texture makes it creamier. I think MOST taste better (cept one brand was NOT good).
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Because a 6 oz cup of the greek yogurt I eat has 15g of protein and 140-160 cals depending on the flavor.
  • Vicki8524
    Vicki8524 Posts: 33
    Options
    It's damn good. Gluten free (I have celiac) and I think the texture is better than normal yogurt. I used it for baking as someone mentioned above as well. I have a chicken recipe that will melt in your mouth.

Care to share that chicken recipe?

I just googled melt in your mouth chicken and several easy recipes came up. Yum!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    nothing just another alternative...one is thicker. Regular yogurt is easier to make at home.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I agree about the more protein and thickness of the yogurt. I love it!

I wanted to add that I buy the 0% Fage and strain it. It makes incredible tzatziki dip or sauce! Add grated cucumbers, lemon juice, fresh dill, kosher salt and pepper...oh wow! Awesome stuff and low calories! :heart:

LOVE tzatziki!!! I also use greek yogurt, mix with some avocado and add seasonings for a great yummy guacamole.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    The protein mostly. People are always looking for good quick sources of protein.

In that case go for Icelandic Yogurt (Skyr). Siggi's is the band I'm familiar with. The plain single serving size has 14g of protein, 6g carbs, and 3g of fat and only 110 calories.

http://www.skyr.com/skyr.html
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you! It doesn't even have that much protein...5 grams per 100 grams!? I prefer natural Indian yoghurt, it's muccch lower in calories.

You might be eating greek style yogurt rather than proper greek yogurt, there can be a big variety in macros between brands in either case. Greek yogurt is super although seeing the hype/fashion element that has built up around it in the US from the other side of the atlantic is a bit perplexing for sure.
  • bgtoepfer
    bgtoepfer Posts: 23
    Options
    Greek yogurt has 2x the protein. My personal favorite is Fage non fat plain. I add vanilla, stevia, fresh fruit and granola and it's the perfect breakfast. I also use it as a replacement for sour cream and mayonnaise.
    I discovered that Chobani and Dannon (Oikos) have too much sugar; 20g and 17g per container! Yoplait non fat vanilla has 7g so I keep that on hand as a grab and go for those days that I'm running out the door. :drinker:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The Icelandic Skyyr reminded me - look out for other similar products such as fromage frais and quark.
  • lilyaqha
    lilyaqha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My favorite desert is chobani plain with honey and pecans. M...M!