your favorite on the go, High protein snack/bar/shake?

Options
Trapwolf
Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
So , when you are in a big hurry and dont have alot of time for food...what is your favorite quick bar, snack, or shake/drink...to either make or buy ready made..That is high in protein and vitamins and minerals, BUT low in carbs ,cholesterol and cals?

I could either make something homemade you guys are familiar with the day before, or maybe its something I could get at the store for days when Im rushed at work

Thank you for your ideas in advance. :O)):flowerforyou:

Replies

• ksntls63
    ksntls63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite by far is the Quest bars. The only place I can find them is GNC.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Not a shake or bar, but I often find myself in a hurry and just eat a can of tuna or sardines right outa the can. Not packed in oil kinds. I find if I purchase a box of bars of any kind I cant stop.
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is Luna/Cliff and Quest bar. Quest bar wins of course because the protein content is higher and they're also lower in GI.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My favorite by far is the Quest bars. The only place I can find them is GNC.

they are now officially on bodybuilding.com as well (and of course, on the quest site directly). Cookie dough is amazinggggg
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from a variety of sources.

If you're willing to pay for something though, premier bars.

mmm.mmm. good.
  • Trapwolf
    Options
    hey Thanks for the wonderful ideas so far guys!!!!!:love:
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just tried my first Quest bar yesterday, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. So good! Also, for a shake, I really like the EAS Advantedge ready to drink protein shakes. Taste pretty good, filling and only 110 calories for 11 Oz. Not really cheap though.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use premier protein shakes and bars from Costco. Great tasting and much cheaper than the ones from health food/nutrition stores. ~
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like almonds, lightly toasted coconut almonds, blueberry flavored almonds......
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of shakes or bars either one. When I'm in a hurry, I tend to eat light string cheese and/or turkey pepperoni. Both are fairly low calorie with a protein punch and are easily portable and can be consumed while driving without a mess. :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    MetRX Protein Plus bars. "Chocolate Chocolate Chunk"
    32 grams of protein!
  • MS2TWEET
    MS2TWEET Posts: 37
    Options
    I also use premier. I drink the chocolate shakes and the bars are in 3 flavors per box. You get Chocolate Crunch, Chocolate Peanut butter and a yogurt peanut one. I get mine at Sams. My nutritionist recommended these.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mint Zone Perfect bars, Trutein Cinnabun protein powder, Trutein Pumpkin Pie powder
  • tbsugacookie
    tbsugacookie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry - just realized you asked for low cal, but I am leaving this up anyway. :tongue:

Clif Builder's Bars (20g protein) are my new favorite thing. I always carry at least one with me, just in case. The Chocolate Mint is my favorite, but they are all good. And they are 270 calories each, but they are worth it when you're hungry and on the go and start to feel a bad food choice creeping up!
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am on the Quest bar bandwagon. You can also get them on Amazon. I am working my way through every flavor...So far cookie dough has been my favorite, followed by apple pie. 10 secs in microwave...yummy!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    MetRx bars, Promax bars and Quest bars...delicious.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    For me a high protein snack I love is beef jerky. I make my own that way I know what is in it and normally less sodium then store bought. It is easy to make and cheap compared to store prices too. I use a lean cut of rump roast, trim off the fat from the outside, slice it, throw it in a marinade for about 24 hours (my marinade is teriyaki, a bit of honey, some red pepper flake, onion powder, liquid smoke, and maybe a little soy sauce) after the marinade, take it out pat it dry and lay it out on furnace filters, strap them to a box fan until they are dry then store in a jar.

a 1oz portion of my jerky is about 110 calories, salty, chewy, and best of all beefy!!
  • Annxoj
    Annxoj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice cream WHEY PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Trapwolf
    Options
    Thank you ALL, wow such really awesome Ideas!!!!! Seems quest bars win hands down with you guys hahaha :O) I will pick some up, and now that Im drinking smoothies you all had great ideas there too. Also the homemade ideas are really great as well!!!! Thank you so much for all the ideas :OD Maybe this will help others too with ideas! :O) <3
  • Trapwolf
    Options
    I just tried a balance dark chocolate peanut bar...OMG I love it. delicious 180 cals, 13 grams of protein :O)