Losing 10 pounds in a week...?

Options
So, I'm just starting to get into shape, it's only been two days and I've lost over 3 lbs. This is good and all, of course, but many things that I read recommend not losing too quickly. If I keep going in the direction of weight loss and lose quite a bit each week, does that mean that it will also come back easily if I lose a day or two of exercise, here and there?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    When you first start, you tend to drop a lot of water weight, so a big loss the first couple weeks is normal. It will generally start slowing down to a more reasonable level after that, so no worries.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The first thing your body sheds are glycogen stores in your liver and fluid stored throughout the body. So the first week or two of weight loss is awesome, but it settles down pretty quickly once your body goes after the fat stores.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You cannot loose 10lb of fat a week. Physical impossibility.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you lose a lot of water weight. Eating a lot of carbs and/or salt makes you retain water. When you change your diet, you're probably eating fewer carbs and packaged foods. This will cause you to lose water.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    people typically lose more when they first start, water weight, the body getting a jump start, whatever, especially if you have quite a bit to lose.

weight also fluctuates so dont panic. give yourself some room for your body to adjust. If you are still losing weight rapidly after a while adjust your calories/exercise.
  • Azurastar
    Azurastar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It really just depends what changes you are making. My diet,( Cambridge diet) you generally lose between 5-11 a week. just depends how you watch your calories. But the 3rd week you move to a new step and your caloric intake goes up. Then when you hit the final step its all about maintaining your weight, and taking what you have learned about food, calories, and potions, and living with those ideals. If you don't change you eating habits, and go back to the old ways of eating you'll gain it back. What are you doing/eating that is making you lose so quickly?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It depends on your starting weight, if obese or larger then weight loss in first few weeks will be a lot, but as you slim down rhew loss steadies, or even stops for a while

Not exercising here & there will have little affect overall
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    @ Azurastar: Just exercising and eating less, is all.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, you have to eat a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, so you are not going to lose 10 pounds of fat this week. In the beginning, when I was 400 pounds, I lost 10 pounds in a week no problem - water weight loss, started moving more and eating less, etc.... As you settle into a routine and your body gets accustomed to the changes it will slow down. Take advantage of it and celebrate a 10 pound loss!!
  • CooperSprings
    Options
    You cannot loose 10lb of fat a week. Physical impossibility.

... I didn't say it was fat.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've been at this hard for the last 6+ months. As I posted on my wall this morning, according to scales, I've lost 3.2 pounds in the last 4 days. And I don't believe it. Well I may have lost it, but it's water weight or merely noise. Comparing your weight day to day is a fool's errand. My body can deviate 5-10 pounds within a given day. The best advice I have: pick one day a week. Weigh yourself the same time every week in as close to exactly the same conditions as possible: same clothes, etc. I do it early Saturday morning in my gym clothes with my trainer. Some people do it naked, whatever. Just ignore the day to day scale readings. If you view them as anything more than entertertainment purposes only, they'll drive you nuts and give you a completely and totally inaccurate picture of what is going on.
  • CooperSprings
    Options
    I've been at this hard for the last 6+ months. As I posted on my wall this morning, according to scales, I've lost 3.2 pounds in the last 4 days. And I don't believe it. Well I may have lost it, but it's water weight or merely noise. Comparing your weight day to day is a fool's errand. My body can deviate 5-10 pounds within a given day. The best advice I have: pick one day a week. Weigh yourself the same time every week in as close to exactly the same conditions as possible: same clothes, etc. I do it early Saturday morning in my gym clothes with my trainer. Some people do it naked, whatever. Just ignore the day to day scale readings. If you view them as anything more than entertertainment purposes only, they'll drive you nuts and give you a completely and totally inaccurate picture of what is going on.

Ok, sounds good! lol Will save a lot o overthinking and worry that way, as well, I'm sure.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Ok, sounds good! lol Will save a lot o overthinking and worry that way, as well, I'm sure.

Only pay attention to the trend. Even if one week doesn't change or actually goes up a bit, don't freak. It's the trendline you are looking at. And actually, the goal isn't even weight per se. It's getting in shape, it's body transformation, it's getting rid of fat, it's losing inches. If weight comes off great (it normally will). But how do you feel? How do you look? Whatever you do, don't obsess about the number on the scale. EVER.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As has been pointed out, I wouldn't worry about it because you probably won't continue at that rate. It's probably water weight (but hopefully some fat in there for ya, too) and that will definitely fluctuate depending on your salt intake, alcohol consumption, time of the month, etc, but it's nothing to be paranoid about. Just enjoy your success :)