Long story short

Options
I'm 33 years old, 5'5", 241 pounds (UGH). On January 15th, I was determined to lose weight. So I changed my diet, much to the disappointment of my office-mates who enjoy eating out, and joined a gym. I worked out 3-4 times a week for 60-90 minutes per session for three months. Free weights, cardio, elliptical, resistance training, treadmill, yada yada yada.

At the end of three months, I gained two pounds.

I know what you're thinking: "Oh, it must be muscle gain!" Nope. My clothes didn't fit any better, I didn't feel any better, nothing had changed.

So I gave up for a while. I didn't binge eat or live in a tub of ice cream, I just stopped caring. Now I'm back, on MyFitnessPal, and determined to try it again.

The good news is, my doc says I'm (mostly) healthy. Other than my cholesterol starting to climb (192), I'm good. No BP problems, thyroid checks out, I just need to drop some weight.

My changes: I bought flaxseed oil, altered my diet (again), will be chowing down on some almonds as a snack, and plan to do more of a HIIT exercise plan.

In the words of the Joker: "and here...we...go!"

Replies

• siuan87
    siuan87 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well done trying again. Try not be discouraged when progress doesn't go as expected. If you are in it for them long term you might have to try many different excersize/food combinations to find what works for you. Look through the forums and I bet you will finding someone in a similar situation.
    I have just starting again and find I need a positive outlook keep it up. I am finding these forums have lots of people i can relate to and simply knowing I am not alone can work to keep mean motivated.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Your story sounds like mine. I did an extreme body shaping program a few years ago. 10 weeks of 6 days a week workouts and eating chicken and green beans! I lost 7 lbs. I saw an endocrinologist who suggested a weight loss study. Yeah, I read the disclaimers that said the shakes you ate three times a day could lead to "anal leakage," and I decided I'd rather be chunky than have poopy pants. I totally gave up. Gained back that massive 7 lbs and 15 of his friends, and just slugged through life. At 38 (the age my dad died of a heart attack), I looked at my two young boys and said that I could squeeze in 30 minutes of exercise for them. Then I started logging the calories on here, and I realized that moving more meant eating more, and I was totally addicted to it. I quickly lost 20 lbs and gained so much confidence! I managed to get down 30 lbs, but it's creeped back up, so I'm trying to get my groove back and get back down. I still exercise a lot, but I haven't done very well with the diet/food logging. I'm back on track as of today, though!
  • starwarsawakening
    Options
    Ugh.....I don't know why my profile name doesn't actually use my name, sorry about that. I should go by "Dave", but whatever. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I know this will be a struggle, but I look forward to the fight.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Ugh.....I don't know why my profile name doesn't actually use my name, sorry about that. I should go by "Dave", but whatever. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I know this will be a struggle, but I look forward to the fight.

You can do it!