4.0 "jogging"

Options
2»

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I cannot maintain a steady speed to save my life on a treadmill. I get winded and have to slow way down. Outside I run 5K in 30 minutes. Speed up slow down speed up slow down.

^this times 10000!! :) The vast majority of people do NOT keep a perfectly consistent pace when then run. Your pace naturally fluctuates - ie this morning, my pace ranged from 7:34 per mile to 14:25 per mile, and I wound up with an average pace of 11:34 (if you look at the little graph that my app Cardiotrainer creates of my pace over the course of my run, you would see TONS of ups and downs (where I run faster for a bit, then slower for a bit, etc)...it is NOT a flat line.

The treadmill artificially forces you to maintain a constant pace - unless you are in the 1-2% of the population who naturally can run at a constant pace, the treadmill will tire you more quickly, and will not be able to run as far (or as fast) as you can outside. So find a trail, a park or a safe neighborhood that you can run in and get outside. Your body (and mind) will thank you, and reward you with longer and faster runs. :happy:
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The after "feels great" well at least about 2 minutes after when I finally catch my breath. I don't really sweat too much when I am running but as soon as I step off I start profusely sweating! It is so wierd!

Thanks for all of the encouraging words. Maybe I will try to get up early in the morning and go out for my run.
  • caprde74
    caprde74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. You just need a base and that only comes with time. I suggest to only increase your distance or speed by 10% and that doesn't have to be every week. Once a week add reps of a hill and each week add another rep. of that hill. Once a week run intervals at a quicker pace for a short distance followed by a recovery walk/jog to bring your heart rate back down. Do a long slow run at a pace that is slower than your natural pace to increase your glycogen stores and finally do a run where you are just trying to run a certain distance at an even pace. I highly suggest the Running Room's Start to Finish book for people who are just starting out. When it all comes down to it just run outside, enjoy it and don't worry about your speed. Trust me, I know that's easier said than done.
    Also, look at your posture. Imagine someone pulling you up straight like a puppet. Don't slouch and sit into your hips. Tilt your torso lightly forward and think about kicking your legs up behind you towards your bum. It sounds funny but this posture does help you to increase your speed. Look into Chi Running if this is something that interests you.