Replies

• vsawyers357
    vsawyers357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, love the kitten
  • happygranny13
    happygranny13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, this day number five for me. I support you and you can help me.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :) Glad to see you here. Although I don't have "bad knees", i do have a leg that is amputated below the knee. ;) Everyone's progression is different, but the important thing is we are all here and changing our lives for the better. I would just make sure to start out slow. Pick a distance and go for it. If its too much, break your walks up into a couple walks throughout the day. If you can do it with ease, keep going, or go for another one later in the day. Just keep your head up and don't get discouraged! We didn't do this to our bodies overnight and we won't fix it overnight either :) If you're looking for friends or support, feel free to add me :)
  • JDY36
    JDY36 Posts: 17
    Options
    I also have bad knees: Left ACL repaired, Right one not repaired and is giving me pain! Had a traumatic ski accident that started my knee troubles. I am swimming for exercise at a local pool for $2 a day. It is wonderful! No joint pain while I am working out. Every other day I hit the gym, the elliptical trainer is good because it's not twisting the knee. Biking, stationary for me, is good for the quads. Please feel free to "Friend" me! :happy:
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have had bad knees for years and recommend going slowly with the distance for walking. You can do leg raises and squats at home to help build the muscles up in your quads. Swimming or water aerobics is a good alternative as well. My knee problems have gotten less as I have lost weight...but I still have to be careful (had had dislocations, weak ligaments, cartilage floating around, muscle instability that has caused most of the issues).
    If you are close to a pool try that along with the leg raises and squats. Walking 3 miles at the start might be too much for your knees. Walking is still having impact on your knees and could flare up any challenges that you have them. Try as much non-impact stuff as possible. Feel free to add me if you like! I am on MFP pretty much all day.
    Good luck!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! I joined in June (this go round). I don't have any diagnosed knee problems but at 50, can tell trouble may be on the horizon. I have had to cut my runs (slow jogs actually) short in the last few weeks because my left knee starts popping! That said, the suggestions listed by previous posters are good ones. Feel free to add me if you need another MFP friend.
  • tincrystal
    tincrystal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I too am new to the forum!

Think the advice above would be hard to beat, particularly swimming and Pilates but make sure you consult your doc just to be sure.

SJ x
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My old knees like cycling and swimming over jogging.
  • lisanblack
    Options
    Hi! My name is Lisa, and I am new as well. I have had knee surgery in the past, so I also have problems with anything high impact. I walk, and use an elliptical trainer right now, because that is what my knees can handle. Just remember any type of exercise is good, and only increase your time and distance in small increments so your body adjusts well. Good luck in your journey.

P.S. Anybody know of a discussion about Cholesterol management? I started myfitnesspal because I was recently diagnosed with scary high cholesterol (Like start Lipitor and take an aspirin now scary) and I am looking for more information about medication.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee from an injury and have to do low-impact aerobics, usually on an elliptical. A Fitness Planet membership can cost as little as $10 a month.

Cholesterol...

Is produced mainly by your body. Typically, what causes insulin to spike will cause your body to produce cholesterol. Diabetics who have to start taking insulin will see their cholesterol levels go up. High protein, good fats, and lower/complex carbs can cause your cholesterol levels to do down. Exercising will help too, especially in getting HDL levels up (the "good guy" of cholesterol levels).
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have left torn LCL so my left leg used to go out all the time, so I would carry my knee brace everywhere. I started out walking and not overdueing it at all. I then got Zumba dvd's and at first could only do 10 minutes, now I do the entire 45 min video. I definitely do low impact and now Hip Hop ABS, still low impact. If I can do more I will if not I just do low impact. I am also started to ride my bike. Good Luck and add me if you want.

Everyone is different so go at your own pace.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am 62, and have had chronically bad knees. I have had torn ACLs and a left total knee replacement. Even walking a mile or doing the elliptical is hard for me. To strengthen my knees, the best exercise I have found (much to my chagrin :laugh: ) has been the squat. I do it without holding any weight, with both my arms straight out in front of me. I put my feet shoulder width apart, then squat down as far as comfortable, then stick my butt out back and try and lower myself down a little farther. When I started, I could only do 24, now I am doing 80, in sets of 8. In the 5 weeks of doing this 3 times a week, I have noticed a remarkable gain in strength in my legs. The evidence was proven the other day when I ran - yes ran - up a flight of steps in my condo building. I haven't done that ever! :blushing:

Best wishes to you on your journey!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Get into a pool and swim and you'll be on those knees in no time! :smile:
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have a bad ankle, and the stationary bike is very good low-impact exercise for me. Water exercise would be a good idea also. I am working up to walking more, taking pain cues from my ankle. I can go a mile now. Try starting slow with the walking, as it is rough on the knees.
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi there welcome to MFP!! I have an ongoing knee injury and recently started wearing a knee brace on it every time I walk or do the treadmill. As you begin to lose weight your knees will love you for it but until then try using a knee brace on each knee to help support your knees so you don't injure it worse. The knee braces can be bought at Walmart or any drug store. It is also a good idea to take it easy at first. My recent re-injury happened when I was speed walking on the treadmill at the highest possible incline so now I have to start off slower at less of an incline. Good luck and welcome! Feel free to add me so we can support each other!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and the meeting of the bad wheels club. lol. I sort of have one bad knee and one really good knee. The good knee is because it is titanium. Yup, total knee replacement last September 24. So the weight loss I'm showing is all since I've started rehab on 1/2/13. I do have a gym membership and a trainer so I do have that advantage. But others suggested if you can find a low cost local pool that would be great. Start slowly whatever you do. Someone else suggested glucosamine/chondroitin and I can't recommend that highly enough. You, and everyone else with joint issues, should be on glucosamine. It really does help. A lot.

The biggest advice is to do what you can. Don't feel like you have to be superwoman. Don't injure yourself. Diet will play a huge part for you. The more weight you can get off of your knee the easier it will be for you. Focus on flexibilty as best you can with the knee.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    Right off the bat, we have a few things in common. I'm almost 56 years old with lousy knees due to Grade IV arthritis. Both need to be replaced whenever I can wrap my mind around that. Had arthroscopic for a torn meniscus in February, but it probably worsened the arthritis.
    Anyway, the thing I've done that is the easiest is the elliptical and biking. Got a bike in May and ride it on the bike path. Of course, when the weather is bad, I just ride a stationary bike. I also do Zumba toning, just working within my own limits.
    Even at 77 lbs lost, I can't say that my knees are much better. But they're probably not WORSE!
    Please don't go out and do a three mile walk. That is likely to be too much for you too soon. Even though I am in pretty good shape otherwise, walking is one of the hardest things for me. I can't do steps, either.
    Feel free to add me as a friend!
    Good luck in your journey.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you here. Both of my knees have been replaced. Before that was done I worked with a trainer dong things to get the whole body better shape with an eye on working for the best of the knees. I also had a pool availible. I can't say I swam, but when I was in it my legs were never still. I was always kicking dog paddling or walking. Water exercises are great because they are so low impact. Check u tube for ideas for exercises at home. My husband also got me a stat bike. The doctor had told me to stay off the elipitcal.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I've been on MFP for over a year. I've lost 81 pounds in that time. I have bad knees too. I did no exercise at all for the first 8 months or so till after I lost about 60 pounds. I do a lot of walking. My doctor told me running would be painful and to just stick with walking. I usually listen to him but I really wanted to try it. I started the Couch 2 5k program (alternating walking and running while gradually increasing the running time each week). I did okay during week one but I was so afraid to do week two that I just kept doing week one over and over! I did move on to week two and will move to week 3 tomorrow or Friday. It is not causing me any more pain than walking. Funny thing is...my new bike causes me LOTS of knee pain. It may just be all the hills in my neighborhood but I just can not ride for more than 15-20 minutes. Then I limp around the next morning.
    Anyway, you can add me. I'm on here everyday and I can offer support and encouragement. Good luck!